Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Start of Extraterritorality.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Platinum
news linky

Looks like this could be a good way for the laws governing corps to change? Anyone see parallels here? Extremists and terrorism driving new corporate law? I swear I read that somewhere before.
Dog
In terms of extra-territoriality, some would say Canada already led the way in the form of the Hudson's Bay Company a few generations ago.
Sharaloth
Y'know, Rupert's Land and everything.

But th Hudson's Bay Company then was not the same thing back then as it is today, or any corporation today is like. Certainly it wasn't the extraterritoriality of SR's megacorps, since it pretty much fell under British jurisdiction.

And I doubt Canada would change the laws govorning corporations because of a terrorist attack, except in the opposite direction from extraterritoriality, forcing them to accept national protection or open their security to a federal review and possible mandate.
SL James
Huh? This isn't really anything oil companies haven't been doing elsewhere (Colombia and Saudi Arabia come to mind) for decades.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Dog)
In terms of extra-territoriality, some would say Canada already led the way in the form of the Hudson's Bay Company a few generations ago.

Close, but no cigar. For the worlds first true megacorporation you have to look back a few hundred years to the British East India Company. Never mind de facto government, they pretty much were the official government or ran the local Indian ones and had their own private standing army to make sure it stayed that way.
Zolhex
In the good ol USA Wal-Mart has at least in one state been granted Extraterritorality because the people of the town didn't want Wal-Mart there so Wal-Mart went around them.
Cray74
QUOTE (Casazil)
In the good ol USA Wal-Mart has at least in one state been granted Extraterritorality because the people of the town didn't want Wal-Mart there so Wal-Mart went around them.

That sounds more like the Walmart got incorporated as a separate town/city/whatever under the authority of an existing county and state. SR Megacorps are separate nations.
Dog
QUOTE (Sharaloth)

And I doubt Canada would change the laws govorning corporations because of a terrorist attack, except in the opposite direction from extraterritoriality, forcing them to accept national protection or open their security to a federal review and possible mandate.

Well, I hope you're correct. But we did just take a big step towards the right a couple of months ago.

True about HBC guys. I didn't mean it all that seriously. Just remember one thing, though: HBC now owns Zellers, and "the lowest price is THE LAW."

Think about it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012