Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subtle Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
rlemansky
Greetings.

While reading Virtual Realities 2.0 I noticed that Deckers can make some decent nuyen hitting lightweight Green hosts on a regular basis-little muss or fuss. Given the parallels between Magic Use and Decking-Astral/Matrix, spells/programs, spirits/knowbots-what can a Mage (or Shaman) do to achieve similar results (yeah, lousy for gameplay, but imagine being hired to hunt down the ones doing the subtle skimming...)

I'm looking for ideas like using watcher spirits for inside information/extortion, using divination skill to predict stock fluctuations/betting, summoning spirits as playthings for wealthy patrons-you get the idea.

Creative and subtle, low risk spells or rituals that a mage could use in a manner that would turn a quick buck with minimal risk. Legal and ethical considerations aside-but keeping in mind that EXPOSURE to risk (through blatantly illegal acts) would be a very bad thing.

Any input'd be appreciated.

R
mfb
fashion would be one. reshape bulky armored clothing into sleek, stylish partywear. creating wards would be another.
nick012000
In SR4, just summon a bunch of Spirits of Man, and send them on a remote service to be whores in a whorehouse you own. Pure profit, plus you can market to the folks who have... violent tastes.
Oracle
A spirit can always be recognized as a spirit. Furthermore a spirit of man in human shape will not have all the anatomical features necessary to do the kind of work you have in mind. And customers with a violent taste are much better served with the large number of snuff Simsense and BTL recordings which is available in the market.

Running a whorehouse will inevitably draw the attention of organized crime at some time.
Kremlin KOA
sell warding services

or for something a littlemore sick

Have a cybersurgeon and a magician work together

the magician morphs a rat into whatever slave the customer wants, then quickens the effect

the cyber surgeon adds in the skillwires and P-Fix chip

"You want something that looks like your beloved daughter, but fucks like a demon princess,then we can do it."
ragingonanist
several comments have been made on the diet magician on other threads. that is someone who sells uses of the spells fast and nutrition, as to whether this is a luxury good or something that is sold in bulk to lower classes is up to debate.

levitate is a ready alternative to fork lifts, ladders, scaffolding, amusement ride, and slow vehicles as one can move a few hundred kilos at a rate of about 4.5 miles per hour per success.

physical barrier or shape earth are useful in construction.

detox and drinking contests is just too obvious for the mundanes to not have come up with a solution. perhaps their solution was to make detox so ineffective.

magic fingers functions as an excellent alternative to legerdemain. or perhaps invisibility would be a better spell for simple thefts, either of the items or the thief.

spirits as entertainers as mentioned earlier is one possibility but so is the entertainment or phantasm spells.

on the less legal side the control manipulations spells for embezzlement, coerced contracts, and so forth.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Oracle)
A spirit can always be recognized as a spirit.

That's not true. I'll give you a few examples. One: The hearth spirit in the novel Poisoned Memories. You oculd also say the spirit in 2XS. Not all spirits are obvious. Hell, look at insect spirits (flesh forms at least).

And then there's the Metahuman form power of free spirits.
Oracle
I have not been talking about special spirit threats or spirits with a special power, but about the run-of-the-mill normal materialized spirit of man.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Oracle @ Apr 21 2006, 06:08 AM)
A spirit can always be recognized as a spirit. Furthermore a spirit of man in human shape will not have all the anatomical features necessary to do the kind of work you have in mind. And customers with a violent taste are much better served with the large number of snuff Simsense and BTL recordings which is available in the market.

Running a whorehouse will inevitably draw the attention of organized crime at some time.

There is no rule that says that spirits can or cannot have sex with metahumans. We won't have a canon ruleing until fanpro releases The Man-Machine Interface for Shadowrun D20. However, there is some Earthdawn canon spirits that have reproduced with metahumans. I'm sure there was some sex involved.
So spirit whores are okay if dikoted. If not, you can easily have to pay metaplanar child support.

Use psychometry on used clothing to determine if someone's spouse is having an affair.
You can get out lipstick stains with water but thay won't clense any auras.

Veternary diagnostition. Use the diagnose spell on people's pets.
Oracle
*throwing something heavy at hyzmarca*
fistandantilus4.0
actually, there have been mention of people w/ more 'exotic' tastes out there. I think in an Underworld book or SSG.

Like I said Oracle, the hearth spirit in Poisoned Memories. Just one canon example. The character in the novel thought it was a normal ork until it was assensed.

I'm sure there would be more examples if you looked for a while. There's also Buttercup, but as you said, she's a free spirit. Just an example.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Veternary diagnostition. Use the diagnose spell on people's pets.

Use 'Control Pack' to quickly and efficiently train a bunch of dogs at obediance school exactly what they're supposed to do.
Oracle
So everything that happens in SR novels is canon for the game? Think about this at least twice before you answer...
Westiex
Use watcher spirits to carry messages. You can do the same for elementals - just think about how quickly an air elemental could carry a microchip to someone.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Oracle)
So everything that happens in SR novels is canon for the game? Think about this at least twice before you answer...

We've discussed that before. Yes, and I know that in some cases (I think the Terminus Experiment came up the most) it's not really considered a great thing. But yes, by definition it is. Kinda wonky when stuff contradicts the rules, but there it is.
nick012000
What was wrong with the Terminus Experiment, other than the way the protaganists butcher their way through a facility full of vampires without taking any losses?
rlemansky
So many great ideas-some a bit twisted, but very creative. Any more?

How about taking things one step further...

The Black Lodge, from Threats, I believe. How do they manage to be the 'power behind the throne'? Mind control spells? Coercion/blackmail? Pandering? How do you get to be that powerful without people noticing? From Wizzer Gang to Illuminati? Any input?

Ray
Straight Razor
well. i hade a mage in a game with a part time job. his own little business. domestic and commercial pest exterminator.
it was a simple gig. get everyone out of the building, cast a couple dozen force 2D mana balls in the building. the force 6 combat folci made things all that much easer.
it was such a good little job i had a hard time figuring out why he did shadow work.
emo samurai
My god... we need magic NOW!!
Snow_Fox
PI work would be obvious. Not the romance Tv show type but the real stuff- skip traces, adulterous spouses and insurance fraud.

Sure Mrs Murphy I can find your husband. Can I have a look at his hair brush please.
cx2
Ugly person using mask spell to look like a really hot stripper
Claim to have done work to someone's car/house but really just cast mask on it and make them think you have until you've been paid and are several blocks away in your car/van.
Instead of chasing adulterers offer to make them invisible whilst entering and leaving the house... for a fee of course.
Offer a fire elemental as an alternative to matches (for fires not cigarettes)
Offer a water elemental to help keep the plants growing
Cast a physical barrier in place of bullet proof glass for people (maybe even criminal leaders who don't want to walk around with real bullet proof glass)
Cast high end manabolt on people due to be executed (maybe for criminals again, less noise if they're gagged as long as you watch the blood)
Levitate items out of people's shopping bags while they're looking the other way and steal them (might work with pockets too)
Same as above, but turn yourself invisible and pickpocket instead of levitating
Magical kidnaps (stunbolt the victim, levitate them to you and into the vehicle)
Turn yourself invisible (whilst wearing a trenchcoat), take something from a shop and slip it under the coat... probably needs improved invisibility because of cameras

That's about it for now
Findar
Why bother with petty illegal acts when a mage can make all the money they want legally? Create an area effect version of the Nutrition spell Cast on say 5 people at a time. Charge 1 nuyen.gif /day of effect. Assume you cast for 3 days effect at a time. That's 15 nuyen.gif per casting. Assume only 10 castings per minute. The rest of the time is used up filing people in and out, etc. That's 150 nuyen.gif per minute or 9000 nuyen.gif per hour. Even if you drop the rate by a factor of 10 to 900 nuyen.gif per hour that's still an incredible hourly rate. Now how many poor people are there out there that would like to be fed for 1 nuyen.gif per day? Answer hundreds of thousands in Seattle alone.
mfb
QUOTE (nick012000)
What was wrong with the Terminus Experiment, other than the way the protaganists butcher their way through a facility full of vampires without taking any losses?

well, there's the fact that only one of the metahuman vampires expressed HMHVV the way they express in canon--banshee for elves, dzoo for trolls, etcetera. also the fact that all the vampires in the book are, for some unknown reason, 100% evil--even the one who doesn't need to drink blood, who is a normal human for all intents and purposes. maybe someday we'll get to see DeVries captured and prosecuted as a serial killer who preys on the diseased.

QUOTE (Straight Razor)
get everyone out of the building, cast a couple dozen force 2D mana balls in the building. the force 6 combat folci made things all that much easer.

i'm not sure that'd work well. many pests live behind the walls--eg, out of LOS. manaball wouldn't touch them.
hyzmarca
If you believe the FAQ you could just cast invisibility on the building to achieve LOS to the bugs. Anyway, fireball will work.
mfb
i have no response to that. though i must say, i can't argue with your logic.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If you believe the FAQ you could just cast invisibility on the building to achieve LOS to the bugs. Anyway, fireball will work.

Urban Renewal spell would also be a good way to get the rats out of the walls.

Really, how much does it cost in explosive costs alone to level a building. A quartet of mages could do it pretty quickly. Maybe throw in a bit of fiber optics so that they can cast at the inside supports so that the building falls in properly, and doesn't just fall over. Good cost saver there.

SL James
Except there's a good chance that if they use enough fiber to be a safe distance from the fallout, the drain would kill them.

Unless they wait for SR4 magic rules to kick in. Then it's game on.
fistandantilus4.0
IIRC, the Ares Prometheus system had the modifiers for spellcasting through long fiberoptics. I do remember +'s to the t#. Were there drain modifiers as well?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012