Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AR without glasses or cybereyes?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ki Ryn
If you have a comlink with sim module and trodenet (or datajack), can you use the set up for AR, or is it strictly VR?

The stuff on page 209 says you can use "simsense" but the further down give a list of ways to see AR and simsense isn't on the list.

James McMurray
deleted because I was wrong
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
If you have a comlink with sim module and trodenet (or datajack), can you use the set up for AR, or is it strictly VR?

Sure.

Keep in mind that this leaves you open to emotive tracks, too...
mfb
yes, you can use AR with trodes, datajack, or implanted commlink. SR4 page 206 states that users can "see, touch, hear, and even smell the Matrix continuously while still interacting with the normal everyday world around them." i'm pretty sure AR glasses don't provide touch, smell, and taste tracks.
Ki Ryn
Thanks. So it sounds like a character with a comlink/simmodule/datajack would not need an image link either since they could just open up an AR video window. Is that right?

Moon-Hawk
That's my understanding.
Ki Ryn
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 21 2006, 01:35 PM)
i'm pretty sure AR glasses don't provide touch, smell, and taste tracks.

No but the oldfactory and taste enhancing cyberwear does.

Still, lacking words to the contrary, I would assume the full sensory VR sim can be "dumbed down" to just plain old AR.

hobgoblin
if you can override the senses you should be able to edit and add to them allso wink.gif
mfb
QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
No but the oldfactory and taste enhancing cyberwear does.

indeed, that's my point--since those sense can only be accessed via cyberware or trodes, and since they can be accessed in AR, AR must be usable with cyberware/trodes.
Muskie
Olfactory/palate editing Cyberware would be cool. it may look like a soy-brick, but it tastes like a chocolate bar! mmmm, yum! No more need for soy-flavoring equipment either!
mfb
you now begin to see the true power of the AR side.
Ophis
mfb- what have pirates got to do with any of this? biggrin.gif
Big D
Pirates are the only known defense against ninjas.

But a dragon trumps everything.
TBRMInsanity
The sim module would cover all the senses I think. As it directly effects the brain. Man if you think about what this tech does it is very scary.
Divine Virus
Damn straight its pretty scary. This whole setting disturbs me greatly. But to me the most disturbing will always be monowire. I litterally get shivers from that stuff, yet it facinates me also.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Muskie)
Olfactory/palate editing Cyberware would be cool. it may look like a soy-brick, but it tastes like a chocolate bar! mmmm, yum! No more need for soy-flavoring equipment either!

Both olfactory and taste boosters can play back, too - add in a touchlink as a finishing note, and the rest is software.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012