Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mana static
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Whither
Mana static creates a Backrground Count over an area of effect. This affects the use of all Sorcery, Conjuring or Magic tests in terms of target number and drain as normal for a background count. While it may take turns for it to become permanent, its effects start immediately. We've been having some interesting questions about it.

Premise 1a- Let's say Mage A casts mana static around himself and Mage B is outside the field.
For Mage B to cast a spell targeting anything within the area of effect (including Mage A), they have to cope with the effects.

Premise 1b- Spells that don't target anything (such as Ice Sheet) can be cast into the field without effect.

Premise 2a- Let's say Mage A casts mana static around Mage B.
Mage B gets no shielding/defense against the spell since s/he wasn't targeted by the spell.

Premise 2b - Mage B gets affected on any Magical thing s/he does.

The hard one is Dispelling. If the Dispelling Mage is within the Area of Effect then we think the effects apply. (This makes Dispelling *very* difficult). If the Dispelling Mage is outwith the Area of Effect, should they suffer higher TN's/Drain?

What do you folks think?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Whither)
Premise 1b- Spells that don't target anything (such as Ice Sheet) can be cast into the field without effect.

Ice sheet targets an area, there are no spells that "don't target anything", just the target can be a location.

Regardless of that detail, you can attempt to dispell the static (facing all TN modifiers that the GM insists apply), or clean it like any other background count.
If it is not yet permanent, the best option is to shoot the mage who cast it.

I vote that if you try to dispell it like any other spell, the background count applies as long as your magical attempt includes a region with a background count. (I may change this position next time I read the rules on cleaning a background count)
Matrix Monkey
For voluntary creation of Background Count, I'd require Mage A to learn a new type of metamagical technique : the inverse of, or possibly a new application of Cleansing.

If you're not taking this route, I'd make the spell sustained instead of permanent.
This way, if you want to create a "permanent" background count on a location you can always quicken your spell.
Under no circumstances would I allow non-initiated mages to create permanent BC anywhere. Sustained, sure.

Another thing is that you'll probably end up with an insane Drain Code if you want to keep this controlled (you wouldn't want runners going 'round creating mana-warp level background counts all over the place, would you?): (ForceČ+2)(D) seems fairly balanced to me:

BC Level/force (Drain Code)
1 (3D)
2 (6D)
3 (11D)
etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012