Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading Programs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanee
As far as I understand the rules for coding programs, you write a program of Rating X from scratch, i.e. if you write an Attack 4, it's threshold 8 with 1 month intervals. Once that is done, you have an Attack 4 program.

But what if you already have an Attack 3 program and want to upgrade it to 4?

How would you handle this?

I thought about just needing the difference between the old and new rating +1.

Or is this actually covered somewhere, and I simply missed it? smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Dashifen
That is not covered for SR4 (yet). There was a mechanic for upgrading programs in SR3, if I remember correctly. You could upgrade a program by spending the difference in time between the rating you have an the rating you wanted, similar to what you described above. Unless someone else has a copy of Matrix handy, I'll try to remember to look the info up and summarize it when I get home this evening.
Butterblume
IIRC, thats how it worked in SR3, if you had the sourcecode of the program.
UndeadPoet
In our group, we have "upgrading" rules for all kind of stuff, letting you pay only the difference between the old and the new levels. Attack 3 -> Attack 4 would be 1000 Nuyen(4000 Nuyen - 3000 Nuyen).
BnF95
I'm wondering about upgrading the OS program.

What if say a character were to purchase a Vector XIM OS (Firewall 1, System 1) and wishes to upgrade it to (Firewall 6, System 6). Does the character:

a.) Write/Purchase a Firewall 6, System 6 OS (3K nuyen.gif each or 6K nuyen.gif total)
b.) Upgrade per rating between:

Rating 2 = 400 nuyen.gif
Rating 3 = 600 nuyen.gif
Rating 4 = 2000 nuyen.gif
Rating 5 = 2500 nuyen.gif
Rating 6 = 3000 nuyen.gif

for a total of 8500 nuyen.gif each for the firewall and the system (total of 17K nuyen.gif)
Thanee
As far as I understand, the cost for a Rating 6 program is 6,000¥, so when you upgrade from a Rating 1 program, it cannot cost more than that. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
BnF95
QUOTE (Thanee)
As far as I understand, the cost for a Rating 6 program is 6,000¥, so when you upgrade from a Rating 1 program, it cannot cost more than that. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee

So upgrading from a dorky Vector Xim costs as much as upgrading from a Novatech Navi? Hmmm ...

Thanks Thanee
Thanee
I didn't say that... as you can see above, there are no real rules for upgrading. smile.gif

You could simply have it cost the difference, between what your current program did cost and what the new one would cost in total.

Bye
Thanee
BnF95
QUOTE (Thanee)
I didn't say that... as you can see above, there are no real rules for upgrading. smile.gif

You could simply have it cost the difference, between what your current program did cost and what the new one would cost in total.

Bye
Thanee

True, so what is the general consensus here about upgrading programs? I tried to search for it, but this was the only thread I could find that seemed appropriate ... yet still ...no real answer.
GrinderTheTroll
You can buy the upgrades for the OS, just purchase the desired rating and whammo that's the cost. As mentioned there are no rules for upgrading software in the current state of the game.

Since rating 6 seems to be the cap for most things, where 7+ are eluded as being military or better apps, I'd wonder if they'd ever allow players to achieve it short of stealing it.
Shrike30
They could always try to write it themselves nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012