Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skinlink Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BnF95
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I've been trying to find the answer to this question.

The Skinlink accessory, is the device attached to the item that you want to skinlink or is it attached to the commlink?

If it is attached to the item, then you pay 50 nuyen.gif per item you want skinlinked then?

I'm sorry if this question/topic has been addressed before.
Aku
it goes to the item you want to have skinlinked, imo.

However, it is also my opinion that ONLY those items under "electronic" accessories" can be skinlinked as well, i dont feel like it was the intention that runners and people in generaly be completly immune to hackign simply by spending an additional 05 nuyen.gif
Thanee
Each item (commlink, too) has to be skinlinked individually.

It doesn't make you immune to hacking, it only makes you immune to hacking while you have zero connection to the outside world.

Bye
Thanee
Big D
If you want to prevent hacking, go into hidden mode. If you want to prevent hacking *and* operate under complete EMCON, switch all your transmitters off and use skinlink only.

Of course, walking around in hidden is suspicious, and going EMCON screams for attention if anybody notices you doing it.
TBRMInsanity
A perfect example of using skinlink is the Hidden Arm Slide, trodes, and commlink. With these items you can activate the Arm Slide with a mental command and not risk having it malfunction because there is jamming in the area.
Edward
One neat trick if you want compleat radio science without being suspicious is to skin link all your gear, including smart link goggles and COM link. Turn the transmitter on that COM link off (debatable possibility but you should be able to, the signal hardware can be upgraded independently so if nothing else you can remove it.) then take a cheep COM link, load in with inocus data and no skin link, possibly include AR glasses with no skin link. Your important stuff is now protected and you do not appear to be hiding.

Edward

mdynna
Keep in mind that also has severe limitations as your "dummy" Commlink is the only thing that can communicate to the "outside world". Basically you've turned your "real" Commlink into a simple "device hub". If you want to receive Commcalls, send messages, or browse the Matrix for info, this must all be done through that "dummy" Commlink. Then, every time you find something interesting and want to save it to you real Commlink you'll have to turn its Wireless antenna on, then transfer the data.

What's that you say? You'll just Skinlink the dummy Commlink to the real one? Ah, but now you are hackable. The Hacker just needs to go through the dummy Commlink first. Since it's a "cheep" (sic) one, that shouldn't be too difficult.

BOTTOM LINE: You cannot make yourself un-hackable in SR4 anymore than you can make yourself "immune" to magic. Its a well known Shadowrun fact that having a team without a Magician is very risky as they are the most effective way to defend against Magical attack. In SR4 the Hacker has the same role only he/she is the electronic defense for the group.
BnF95
Thanks for the replies. So, everything is hackable provided that your commlink is connected to WiFi.

Does that mean my players should install IC on everything they have? One of them created his own IC [Rating 4] with Analyze and Attack on it. He then copied it to his guns (smartlinked), his glasses (smartlinked), his armor (I have no idea why), and pretty much everything he owns.

So if an enemy hacker wants to enter his PAN and tamper with his Ares Pred IV (for example), will they have to go through just the IC in his commlink and the Pred (assuming they don't get lost with all the other crap he has linked to his PAN).
James McMurray
Install IC on things that it won't severely hamper. There's no reason not to. I wouldn't go as far as to put it on my armor, but then again I doubt I'd have wireless armor anyway. What's he using it for that he needs it online?
Rotbart van Dainig
Pretty much.

Only thing to remember is that the IC will run at Rating 4 only if provided Response 4... most of the items in his PAN wil have a response from 1-3, so it will belimited to 1-3, running on those.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (James McMurray)
What's he using it for that he needs it online?

Changing colors, storing data, regulating the thermal dampening - you name it.
James McMurray
An odd place to store your data, given that it's primary function is to be damaged in combat. Kinda like using a hard drive as a shield.
BlackHat
QUOTE (BnF95)
Thanks for the replies. So, everything is hackable provided that your commlink is connected to WiFi.

Does that mean my players should install IC on everything they have? One of them created his own IC [Rating 4] with Analyze and Attack on it. He then copied it to his guns (smartlinked), his glasses (smartlinked), his armor (I have no idea why), and pretty much everything he owns.

So if an enemy hacker wants to enter his PAN and tamper with his Ares Pred IV (for example), will they have to go through just the IC in his commlink and the Pred (assuming they don't get lost with all the other crap he has linked to his PAN).

In theory. IMO it depends on what the IC is programmed to look for.

For example, if the hacker sucesfully hacked the PC's commlink (the only real wireless entrance into the system) and set himself up a legitimate account (or hacked his way into the admin account), then he could manipulate the guns from there (since they are connected to the commlink, and that's how the PC uses them). The IC *probably* arn't programmed to think anything is fishy if "admin" wants to managed the protected devices. If they do, they'd be attacking the PC every time he wanted to switch firing modes, or check his remaining ammo.

On the off chance the PC left the guns' wireless links active, the hacker could also choose to hack from there, which would bypass the commlink altogether, but the IC would then possibly intercept the hacking attempts.

Really, the only reason the hacker would have to hack into the commlink, and then hack again into the guns would be if the PC set them up to have different accounts (which, there is no game-mechanic reason not to do) - in which case the commlink doesn't actually have access to the weapons until the user enters in legitimate account information (password) - but when the hacker got into the PC's system, there is a good chance that the guns would already be connected (since the PC wouldn't want to use a simple action to "log on" to his weapon in the middle of a fight).

However, when just hanging around, he wouldn't need to keep his weapon's "online" and it would add another line of defense since hte hacker would have to move from the commlink node to the gun node (rather than just send commands from the commlink).
Rotbart van Dainig
Only if you managed to find a way to store data on the fabric and plates. wink.gif
BnF95
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Install IC on things that it won't severely hamper. There's no reason not to. I wouldn't go as far as to put it on my armor, but then again I doubt I'd have wireless armor anyway. What's he using it for that he needs it online?

It's on his chameleon suit, he uses it to control the colors of the outfit. Same reason as in his Urban Jumpsuit too.
BnF95
QUOTE (BlackHat)
In theory. IMO it depends on what the IC is programmed to look for.

For example, if the hacker sucesfully hacked the PC's commlink (the only real wireless entrance into the system) and set himself up a legitimate account (or hacked his way into the admin account), then he could manipulate the guns from there (since they are connected to the commlink, and that's how the PC uses them). The IC *probably* arn't programmed to think anything is fishy if "admin" wants to managed the protected devices. If they do, they'd be attacking the PC every time he wanted to switch firing modes, or check his remaining ammo.

On the off chance the PC left the guns' wireless links active, the hacker could also choose to hack from there, which would bypass the commlink altogether, but the IC would then possibly intercept the hacking attempts.

Really, the only reason the hacker would have to hack into the commlink, and then hack again into the guns would be if the PC set them up to have different accounts (which, there is no game-mechanic reason not to do) - in which case the commlink doesn't actually have access to the weapons until the user enters in legitimate account information (password) - but when the hacker got into the PC's system, there is a good chance that the guns would already be connected (since the PC wouldn't want to use a simple action to "log on" to his weapon in the middle of a fight).

However, when just hanging around, he wouldn't need to keep his weapon's "online" and it would add another line of defense since hte hacker would have to move from the commlink node to the gun node (rather than just send commands from the commlink).

Sorry, he installed both biometric (DNA) sensors and skinlink to his guns (to prevent other people from picking it up and using it on him.) He said that the IC is programmed to allow him to use it because he has a DNA connection (his hand) which also provides the skinlink connection.

On the other hand, if he is holding it and one were to hack into the damned commlink ... I guess he is screwed. biggrin.gif

Happy days once more.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Only if you managed to find a way to store data on the fabric and plates. wink.gif

Because only fabric and plates get hit when shooting at armor. smile.gif
Waltermandias
That's basically the boat you are in. The advantage of skinlinks is that they force the Hacker to hit your commlink first as opposed to just hitting stuff directly. Get your hacker to hook you up with l337 IC and hopefully that will slow the other hacker down until yours can take care of him. Of course a little ballistic persuasion applied to the enemy hacker is the best IC there is IMO. cool.gif
Piecemeal
ballistic persuasion... smile.gif i think i found my next negotiation specialization.
Big D
Let's see...

Run primary commlink with transceiver off, using a hardline to run to trodes, and skinlink from there to other gear in your PAN, with tranceivers also turned off (but skinlink on) for the rest of them.

You are now "offline" and protected from hacking or DF, but cannot interact with AR, the matrix, or your buddies beyond the range of your voice. Has its uses, though.

Now, add a second commlink, hardlined to the first. This is your firewall; it contains a fake system emulator running very little as camo, and a big OS running fat IC beneath it. The IC should be sniffing every pulse that comes in, and provide a decent line of defense.

The primary commlink, meanwhile, should also be running some defenses; basically, if it comes from the trodes hardline, it's o.k., if it comes from the firewall hardline it has to go through security and doesn't get certain permissions at all.

Now, a hacker has to hack into the firewall, figure out that it's a fake, discover the hardline port (maybe not *that* hard if they can trace the data packets), sleaze past the IC into the primary commlink, figure out what *it's* doing, sleaze past its own IC, and hack it to either open it up or spoof it into believing that the hacked commands are really coming from the trodes hardline.

If either IC catches the hacker, it sends you a warning message and you pull the hardline to the firewall and go offline.

Not a perfect setup--hey, no different from a 2-tier corp mainframe, just smaller and easier to beat--but the fact that the system can be rapidly and manually isolated on any detection gives you an advantage, especially since someone shooting for a commlink isn't expecting it to be that hard to begin with.
Thanee
The perfect weapon against skinlinks: Stick-n-Shock with RFID and skinlink. cool.gif

Bye
Thanee
Kanada Ten
You can have the gateway commlink disconnect from the network every few turns using an external timer, as well. Dumping any snoopers before they get deep.

And if you're getting hit with Stick-n-Shock, I imagine you have bigger problems than PAN disruption.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
You can have the gateway commlink disconnect from the network every few turns using an external timer, as well. Dumping any snoopers before they get deep.

That's an interesting idea. What negative effects would it have on your use of the matrix? For example, if you start a search and then get dumped for a split second, perhaps because your connection sucks, do you have to start the search over?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Apr 24 2006, 02:35 PM)
You can have the gateway commlink disconnect from the network every few turns using an external timer, as well.  Dumping any snoopers before they get deep.

That's an interesting idea. What negative effects would it have on your use of the matrix? For example, if you start a search and then get dumped for a split second, perhaps because your connection sucks, do you have to start the search over?

Cookies? I think if you're keeping the same access code, then you should be able to start near where you left off. Obviously not with hacking since the point is to not have cookies...
Thanee
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
And if you're getting hit with Stick-n-Shock, I imagine you have bigger problems than PAN disruption.

Certainly... but I wasn't thinking of PAN disruption... more like PAN intrusion (planting some trojan-like software into the commlink, maybe, to activate it for wireless connections in order to access it).

Bye
Thanee
mdynna
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Sounds like you're creating a "Vanishing SAN" for your Commlink and its PAN. Since that concept is pretty present in SR3, and said edition also had a Freeze Vanishing SAN operation, I would say that it can still be done in SR4. Basically, an enemy Hacker can "jam" a connection, and put off the connection reboot until they're done doing what they need to do. Also, don't tell me that it can't be done because Target: Matrix had the rules for doing it to the fragging Zurich Orbital, so it can be done to your piddly little Commlink.
hobgoblin
well freezing the SAN of the zurich orbital was more a case of getting your connection flagged as priority so that you would the transferd to its next connection point rather then having it think a connection was closed when it was still open.

and a vanishing SAN allways looked to me more like a case of changing the ip address then pulling the ethernet out of the wall wink.gif
mdynna
*shrug* I understand that's how they explained the operation in the ZO case. Regardless of that, the operation could be performed on any Vanishing SAN. So in the case of your Commlink the Hacker messes with your little countdown clock or whatever. The effect is the same.

Bottom line: in my game, you are never "unhackable". In fact (and I think this is fairly realistic) the more unhackable you try to make yourself, the more attention you will draw from hot-shot, ego-maniac Hackers that want to crack your Commlink just for the challenge of it.
Kanada Ten
Well, this would look more like a spotty connection, and second I'm talking about using an external device to perform the operation, not one that is part of either commlink - though making it a funciton of the second comm would allow hackers that went through the first to stop the operation. However, the ony advantage of that is the ability to control the "vanishing" funciton with DNI.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Thanee)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Apr 24 2006, 08:35 PM)

Certainly... but I wasn't thinking of PAN disruption... more like PAN intrusion (planting some trojan-like software into the commlink, maybe, to activate it for wireless connections in order to access it).

It'd be more subtle and probably easier to simply brush past a mark and plant the virus with your skinlink, neh? After all, it's not likely to hit exposed skin with a shock-n-stick... ?
Thanee
Hey, it was just a random thought! biggrin.gif

Also, I don't think you need to hit exposed skin, just get very close, or do you?

Bye
Thanee
Big D
The big difference against ZO is that you can choose, at any moment, to pull the plug on the firewall and go offline without fragging a couple hundred major customers including the AAAs. I don't think that ZO can do that as readily.

Also, you have relatively little traffic on your PAN, so it should be easier for the IC to tell if something is happening that shouldn't be.

You can still be hacked... but if they miss one roll, their link is probably going down when you pull the plug, and odds are, they don't know that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012