Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: magic /cyberware 4th edition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CrimsonHawk
Hi there chummers,

Its been a while since I played 3rd eddition and A friend of mine wanted to try his hand at 4th edition, So we all made 4th edition toons and tried our first adventure we had a sam (3rd convert), a mage, a technomancer and adept during that adventure both the mage and adept died. well heres my question the GM was imposiong the old rule of essence / magic loss when you take damage? as I see in the 4th edition they tried to streamline magic and cyberware is this rule still in effect? as per the magic in the shadows even tho geasa's don't exist any longer and it would make sams / adept obsolete after a few harry mishs hes also crossing some earthdawn monsters (horrors) into the world since the magic level is higher now?

Thanks for any input (lost in the shadows again) runner
James McMurray
Currently there are no rules for magic loss from injury. Stimpatches are safe now too.
Oracle
There have been rules for essence loss by injury?
James McMurray
Nope. You can take as many wounds as you want and not have to worry about losing essence because of it.
Kremlin KOA
but ya could lose magic before
James McMurray
Sorry, I misread the question. In previous editions taking stim patches could cause you to lose magic points, as could taking a deadly wound.
Oracle
The mana level in the sixth world is rising very slowly. There is still a lot of time left, until the next scourge will begin. So there are no horrors in the world of Shadowrun at the moment, nor is the ED/SR crossover a major theme at the moment.
Aaron
I'm less convinced that the safe stim and trauma patches are due to the higher magic level so much as to a higher tech level; they did some research, and found a way to make "magic-safe" medical equipment.

Not that it matters all that much. Stim patches and trauma patches and deadly wounds are safe for magicians now. There was much rejoicing.
TBRMInsanity
The Magic loss rules were in place because all magic oriented characters started with a magic of 6 starting off. Now you have to purchase each point of magic so to take away those points would just be evil.
Waltermandias
Funny story about the Trauma patches not being dangerous. Our character with gremlins tried to apply one to some poor bastard to give him a stabilization test. He rolled 4 ones (and we applied her two gremlins to it.) The GM ruled that he basically bled from everywhere and died. We assumed she had somehow gotten ahold of an expired 3rd Edition patch. spin.gif
stevebugge
I'm having an Order of the Stick moment......

Team Medic: Hear take a couple of these and the headache will clear up in no time.

Team Mage: Ok

Team Hacker: NO! Don't take those they're Third Edition stim patches they could make you Lose a Magic Point!

Team Mage: How the frag would you know that?

Team Hacker: I have 4 points in my early 21st century table top games knowledge skill, which under older editions was equivalent to having 6!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Oracle)
The mana level in the sixth world is rising very slowly. There is still a lot of time left, until the next scourge will begin. So there are no horrors in the world of Shadowrun at the moment, nor is the ED/SR crossover a major theme at the moment.

There are no canon horrors currently but there are plenty of loose ends from the Enemy metaplot still lying around for someone can easily pick up and use. Remember, the GGD allowed several powerful horrors to cross over prematurly. Some of them have been beaten back or destroyed but others are still around. Wraiths, for example, are minor unnamed horrors and nomads probably are, too and it is quite possible that a named horror or a corrupted GD is still working behind the scenes somewhere.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Wraiths, for example, are minor unnamed horrors and nomads probably are, too and it is quite possible that a named horror or a corrupted GD is still working behind the scenes somewhere.

What is a corrupted GD in this context?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 25 2006, 12:09 PM)
Wraiths, for example, are minor unnamed horrors and nomads probably are, too and it is quite possible that a named horror or a corrupted GD is still working behind the scenes somewhere.

What is a corrupted GD in this context?

A GD that was captured by Verjigorm and spent several thousand years incubating in an astral cacoon, emergins as a grotesque monstrosity with aura masking powers that allow it to appear normal, a strong loyality to the the Hunter of Great Dragons, and the power to Rename things in Verjigorm's image.
Kremlin KOA
Uh guys
Shedim show all the traits of minor horrors
coolgrafix
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
A GD that was captured by Verjigorm and spent several thousand years incubating in an astral cacoon, emergins as a grotesque monstrosity with aura masking powers that allow it to appear normal, a strong loyality to the the Hunter of Great Dragons, and the power to Rename things in Verjigorm's image.

Ok, I think I've figured it out. GD = Great Dragon? That's all I really wanted to know. =)
Shrike30
Stimpatches can cause magic loss... it's just indirect. See, now you've got to use enough of them that your GM decides you need to make an addiction check (i've got a player who's managed to pop an absurd number of stimpatches since character creation, nearly 1 per session... i figure that's getting to be enough, since we've had 12-13 sessions with this character now). Once you've mangaged to fail that test and become addicted to stims, one of the side effects can be magic loss.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012