Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RFID tags
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Xane
At work today, I was working at an Alumina refinery, saw on one of the posts a little round tag that said, "World Tag" RFID....Just caught my attention enough to look it up at least in wiki and give you guys the link. After looking at it, apparantly I've been seeing these things all over and just not realizing it.

RFID wiki
FanGirl
Wow, so that's what the stickers they put on my shampoo bottles are for! eek.gif
GrinderTheTroll
Although the idea is new to SR4, RFID technology has been around for a while now.

One of the neat applications was being able to run your shopping cart though the checkout and have it give you a total without having to unpack it all.

Soon as it becomes "useful" to the business world, you'll see it more and more.
Shrike30
I get into and out of my work building every day with an RFID tag in a card. Honestly, I think the card is just used so they don't lose the damn thing.
Oracle
At the moment RFID chips are still much too expensive to put them on every single product in a store. But major trading corporations like WalMart or METRO are already using them for logistics and in warehouses. Though the technology still has some some problems.

You can find some additional information about future applications of RFID technology in trading on this page: Future Store Initiative There is a link on top of the page to the english version.

Now: Guess which corporation I am working for? biggrin.gif
Butterblume
Since last year new passports in germany contain a RFID chip with biometric data und fingerprints.
Needless to say that the concept is basically insecure and therefore flawed, which was proven even before the first passport was introduced.
Oracle
They introduced these passports mainly, because a certain other nation demanded biometric passports for everybody wishing to cross their border...
nezumi
RFID has been out for ages. You ever seen those security tags on CDs and computer games? Ever used a metro card? Have a work ID that opens by virtue of it touching the reader? I've begun stealing RFID tags for fun and putting them on my keys so I buzz whenever I walk past those things at the entrances to stores. Too bad they die as soon as they get close to a magnet.
Tanka
Ah, yes, RFID tags. I won't go into my big rant about them, but I'll say this:

When the guvmint can see where you are 24/7, that's a scary thought. Almost as bad as cameras in a private home.

Give me anonymity or give me death!
TBRMInsanity
There is talk that the Canada/US and US/Mexico border crossing will use RFID tags for shipping. If everything you are caring has an RFID tag attached to it it would only take customs a few seconds (vs hours) to scan your load. This will greatly decrease the amount of time it takes to ship stuff accross the boarder and increase trade in North America.
Aku
QUOTE (tanka)
Almost as bad as cameras in a private home.

Not a fan of the full house webcam layouts so you can watch sexy co-eds plan their shadowruns in 2070?
stevebugge
Widespread RFID use would make the shipping industry much more efficient. Of course the longshoreman's Union will oppose it as long as possible for that reason, they like the job having a clipboard and a piece of chalk to mark and locate containers on the docks.
nezumi
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
There is talk that the Canada/US and US/Mexico border crossing will use RFID tags for shipping.

Mexico US on some particular sites, yes, but I haven't heard anything about Canada. However I don't believe it'll be required, it'll just work sort of like speed-pass (a program you see on most toll roads around here).
bustedkarma
I bought a Wallet a few years ago, that had an RFID tag wedged down into one of the credit card slots. I kept setting shit off, and getting my bags searched everytime I left a store with anti-theft sensors.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (tanka @ Apr 26 2006, 07:29 AM)
Ah, yes, RFID tags.  I won't go into my big rant about them, but I'll say this:

When the guvmint can see where you are 24/7, that's a scary thought.  Almost as bad as cameras in a private home.

RFID is not the same as a portable GPS. It's a passive device that responds when a signal it sent to it.They are a close proximity device so when the tag is brought close to a scanner (like a bage ID or a container) they change to alert the scanner of what information they carry.

I would be more worried about cellphones than RFID.
nezumi
But keep in mind, both RFID and cell phones can be blocked relatively easily, as they both rely on radio waves. Simply create a faraday cage using tin foil (not aluminum foil). That's why there's a giant tin foil hat on my house. Spy on me now, Uncle Sam!
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (nezumi)
But keep in mind, both RFID and cell phones can be blocked relatively easily, as they both rely on radio waves. Simply create a faraday cage using tin foil (not aluminum foil). That's why there's a giant tin foil hat on my house. Spy on me now, Uncle Sam!

rotfl.gif
James McMurray
You totally forgot about the molemen he's got hired to tunnel under houses and listen from there.
bustedkarma
The Molemen are actually haliburton Contractors.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (tanka)

When the guvmint can see where you are 24/7, that's a scary thought.  Almost as bad as cameras in a private home.

...and Boy Georgie W quietly signed a measure that would force states to standardise their ID cards & DLs which would include RFID with all your personal info encoded (including background).

You don't squawk proper, you don't get to pass go and collect your 200 nuyen.gif

The age of the SINner and SINless is coming faster than we think.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (tanka)

...and Boy Georgie W quietly signed a measure that would force states to standardise their ID cards & DLs which would include RFID with all your personal info encoded (including background).

You don't squawk proper, you don't get to pass go and collect your 200 nuyen.gif

Try doing much of anything w/o a Social Security Number. Bank account, driver license, home loans, lots of things require it. Tell someone these days you don't have an SSN and they look at you as funny as I'm sure they do in 2070 when you mention you don't have a commlink.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 26 2006, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (tanka)

Try doing much of anything w/o a Social Security Number. Bank account, driver license, home loans, lots of things require it. Tell someone these days you don't have an SSN and they look at you as funny as I'm sure they do in 2070 when you mention you don't have a commlink.

...I'm already beginning to feel pretty SINless because places like banks & such now require (by federal law) a minimum 2 pieces of valid ID = DL/State ID (which is all I carry) + either a Credit Card, Military ID, Passport, or Company Employee (picture) ID. The SS card doesn't qualify.
GrinderTheTroll
Next time an application or institution asks for a SSN, tell them "no" and see how far you get.
TBRMInsanity
Mexico US on some particular sites, yes, but I haven't heard anything about Canada. However I don't believe it'll be required, it'll just work sort of like speed-pass (a program you see on most toll roads around here).

The degration along the Canada/US border will slow down imports/exports soon. The Americans plan to fence off their side of the border. It looks like they are tring to make a prison of the USA from our point of view.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)

The degration along the Canada/US border will slow down imports/exports soon. The Americans plan to fence off their side of the border. It looks like they are tring to make a prison of the USA from our point of view.

...and next you know, they will start building a wall around Portland. I hear Haliburton and Bechtel are competing for the contract.
Muskie
Over here in Western Australia, they're currently trialling an RFID-Based Travel card system for the Public transport system. it's actually prety cool, if you don't get off the back of the bus.. (only problem so far is that the GPS trackers on the busses don't sllow people to get out of the rear exit too often)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012