Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i want orichelcum Bone lacing...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cogar
is this possible??

Don't flame, i am new to These forums and SR universe...

i would assume you could as you can have Titanium bone lacing.... Orichelcum is a metal as well right ??
Oracle
What are you planning to do with your orichalcum lacing? It won't give you any specific advantages but it will cost you essence.
Voran
Given the natural of orichalcum, and just imaginign what you'd need to do to get it laced, I'd say in the event you do manage to lace yourself with it, you'd be considered magically active on both planes. Without any extra benefits nyahnyah.gif

You'd also be a wonderful target for people who'd want to harvest you for your orichalcum, considering its cost/weight rating.
Dranem
Cogar, I would suggest you read up a little more on Shadowrun and what Oricalcum is first of all.
A brief description of Oricalcum can be found on the Sixth World Wiki.

Basically 1 unit (which is only 10 grams) of oricalcum is required per force point of foci you want to create. That is why foci is so bloody expensive.

Which would make one wonder what kind of foci you want to create within your body? Not to mention - as Voran pointed out - the huge amount of magicaly active metal lacing your body that's ripe for an astral attack. (note bonded foci have an astral form and can be seen by mages and dual-natured creatures)

It does sound rather expensive and dangerous, while the metal is so soft that it would scarecely provide you with any defensive bonus, which is why there is not gold, silver or platinum lacing, it's simply not cost effective.
toturi
Well, entirely non-canon but I think orichalcum bone lacing could be done as an enchanting process where the orichalcum is magically laced into your bones and it gives the person with it bonuses similar to a Power focus(in addition to not costing essense) and acts as a mana battery storing mana for use in a mana void. The entire process can be done as a creation of a Unique focus. We do not know the PHYSICAL properties of orichalcum(at least I don't), so I wouldn't speculate on the physical bonuses.
Cogar
its purely for flavour, is there no where in cannon where this has been done ??? some phsycho mage? or something ? biggrin.gif
Oracle
Consider playing D&D if you like that flavour.
Cogar
no need for the attitude,
i'm asking a question, orichelcum is a metal, metal can be laced to bone, i was asking if this is possible. Simple

and Why couldnt i turn parts of a chars skeleton into a foci? Its theoretically possible, im probably sure a great dragon would have to do the enchantment though.

can you turn limbs into Foci with Oric bone lacing?
Lindt
Here is IMO what the problem is with that. Nanites. Im not wholly sure Id trust nanites to mess with orichelcum.
Plus the stuff is so expsneive, and not 'hard' (as compaired to aluminum or the like) you wouldent be getting much of a body bonus out of it.
And as it was said, I as a GM would seriously consider making you a dual nature construct because of it.
Cogar
im not looking at it from a Oric lacing will make chars harder... im looking to augment magical ability, so whats a Dual natured Construct? Lindt could you explain please?

thanks
Daddy's Little Ninja
It is not particularly hard. I think it would be like having Gold bone lacing. bling bling on your exrays but no use in a fight. It is magical. You might get people hunting you to rip the parts out for their own uses.
Kremlin KOA
uh orichalcum is not necessarily dual natured
and physical properties of such an alloy would be not unlike aluminium
so treat as aluminium bone lacing, but also make it able to be a focus
Protagonist
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
but no use in a fight.

Well, couldn't you be able to oh say, make it to be sort of a weapon foci inside your body? It'd be insteresting to say the least for an adept who uses unarmed combat.
Cogar
Ive just spoken to a SR gm mate of mine ... he reckons there is a guy like this in the SR world...

said his name is PATH

hes inthe Harlequin or harlequins back books and canon guys confirm or discount this ???
eralston
Wow, assuming properties as aluminim bone lacing you know that would cost about: 88,000,000 Nuyen in Orichalcum, right?

It's probably never done because there isn't someone crazy AND rich enough to do it
stevebugge
88 million just for the materials then the actual work all for some increased weight? Notice that all the metals used in Canon bonelacing are very lightweight and hard like Titanium and Aluminum. Orichcalcum is made out of 4 very heavy soft metals, copper, silver, gold and mercury.
Lindt
KOA, Im not saying so much that it is, but so much the fact that your stuffing a rather large amount of an all ready magical metal into your body. Its just bound to have some 'strange' side effects after a while.

If I was to be a jackass about it, sure, acts as a power foci 3, and costs 3.5 essence.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Protagonist)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Apr 27 2006, 09:10 AM)
but no use in a fight.

Well, couldn't you be able to oh say, make it to be sort of a weapon foci inside your body? It'd be insteresting to say the least for an adept who uses unarmed combat.

If the GM lets him do that it would probably be cheaper just to enchant regular bone lacing.
Dog
There's no character named PATH in either of the Harlequin books. Nobody has orichalcum lacing. One character had a focus fused to a single bone. Maybe that's what you want; Make a focus, then surgically implant it.

The properties of orichalcum itself are mostly vague, so you could make up your own idea about how it can be manipulated. Personally I think bone-lacing with it is over-the top, but it's your game. Either way, I really don't think you're gonna find anything in canon about it.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I keep flashing on a visual of runners finding this guy's body AFTER the lacing was ripped out. There are groups that will kill a parson for a liver or spleen. What sort of bounty would be on the Full Metal Alchemist?
stevebugge
88 Million minus about 40% probably
Muskie
Not to mention Orichalcum Lace would cost upward of 100 Million NuYen for the surgery alone (what Streetdoc in his right mind would do that to you?) and you'd probably have to go find about, say, three to four Kilograms of Orichalcum. and that's being conservative.

Possible, but Stupid. Go look for D-chan's Hoard, maybe you'll find that much..
ShadowDragon8685
I'm pretty sure the Draco Foundation is authorized to administer beatings for referring to President Dunkhelzahnin the diminuitive,
Daddy's Little Ninja
Or the street doc puts the patient under for surgery and realizes how much loot he has right there waiting to install. So the patient never woke up from the operation and the street doc sells it all to talismongers for only nuyen.gif 40,000,000 and retires to a private island, like Manhattan.
ragingonanist
looks like cogar wants something like what was discussed in this thread http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...l=focus+implant but laced for flavor. And as such any reference to the physical properties of having orichalcum bone lacing is only a side note. Its been a while since I've read the orichalcum creation rules, the impression I got from them was that major reworking such as whatever plating processes goes into bone lacing would ruin the batch. though if you just had 2 variations on the shape earth spells you could probably do it. shape metal shape metahuman. Now that I think of it perhaps we should see some writeups for those custom spells.
Kanada Ten
Orichalcum Bone Lacing previously talked about.
Daddy's Little Ninja
But can your dikoted, vampire, ninja, cyber zombie have it?
Kanada Ten
Only for his teeth. It's all about the bling, baby.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Only for his teeth. It's all about the bling, baby.

There's an idea Cyber-Bling. Some of the gang flavor write ups suggest that Cyber is embraced by some gangs as a status symbol. Might be fun to have a list of strange or flashy Cyber-Mods that don't serve much of a functional purpose but look really 'wiz' (at least to some subset of society).
frostPDP
Dude, remember this above all else; its your world to GM. If you want to ignore some physics and say that the mystical properties of orichalcum make it harder than most if not all known metals, be my guest. If you want to say that it doesn't diminish the flow of the Metahuman spirit and thus costs no essence (though non-orichalcum implants to go with it might), go right ahead.

Just remember how much it would take to get this sort of resource, how much it would cost to have the procedure, and the fact your character would probably light up on the Astral Plane more than the local sports stadium. Since the way I've added SR4's contact system in is to make every point of Connection and Hatred (opposite of loyalty) equal to 1 point of Hunted flaw, lets see. Great Dragons are connected 6, at least. And they'd all want him bad. So every GD is worth 12...

Hell, the minute this character's secret is out, he's toast. But it could be a really cool action-centric plotline if you make a few other characters also very, very powerful. But its more of a high-level D20 Modern campaign with monsters involved.
nezumi
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Apr 27 2006, 10:26 AM)
Only for his teeth.  It's all about the bling, baby.

There's an idea Cyber-Bling. Some of the gang flavor write ups suggest that Cyber is embraced by some gangs as a status symbol. Might be fun to have a list of strange or flashy Cyber-Mods that don't serve much of a functional purpose but look really 'wiz' (at least to some subset of society).

Sounds like some people haven't heard of the new fad, 'grillz'. Basically it's a big, flat piece of gold or silver you attach to your teeth. Now you too can look like this fine looking fellow:

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/323/gri...llznigro8ta.jpg

(I saw a better picture somewhere else. If I find it, I'll post it.)
stevebugge
That's just sad, it's like decorative braces. His orthodontist must be happy though biggrin.gif
ronin3338
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Hell, the minute this character's secret is out, he's toast. But it could be a really cool action-centric plotline if you make a few other characters also very, very powerful.

Or make him the client they PCs are supposed to keep safe. Maybe get him somewhere to have this removed, since he never wanted it to begin with?
Voran
It would make an interesting run premise.

"You've laced my skull with...what?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012