Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happened to my meta-variants
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kiedo
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, or maybe it's still to come, but why are there no meta-variants in SR4.

I had an awsome idea about a formoni chef character, but didn't get a chance to play him before SR4 took over, if I'm not dumb and it's not in the book, how long will I have to wait until I can play him without twisting a GM's arm to modify troll stats?
bustedkarma
I was a little put off about it too. Not only are there no stats provided, but IIRC Variants aren't even mentioned.
Ryu
It is still to come.

You donīt need to wait at all - if you can stand playing him with standard troll stats.
TBRMInsanity
Meta-variant rules always come out later. But if you want an unofficial cross over from 3rd to 4th you can check out my site:

http://www.geocities.com/tbrminsanity/shad...4thedition.html
MITJA3000+
^ I know Cyclops' had a penalty to their ranged attacks in SR3Comp too, but I've always thought that it would make more sense if the penalty was for melee. You know, it's a bit hard to hit someone with a punch if you can't figure out how far they are. On the other hand, when aiming with your gun it doesn't IMO matter how far the target is.

But this is relatively off-topic, though I wish they'd change it.
Oracle
Why can't you people use the search function? This has been asked nearly a billion times...
James McMurray
Because it's faster to ask again, and funner to hear people complain about the search function not being used? smile.gif
mfb
QUOTE (MITJA3000+)
On the other hand, when aiming with your gun it doesn't IMO matter how far the target is.

depends on the range. anything out to about 100m, sure, no penalty. beyond that, though, being able to judge range is pretty important.
Kremlin KOA
how many eyes do you put in front of the scope?
Nasrudith
You can still have them, just clumped into the other metas with no bonus or penality of the others. It will just be a flavor thing.
mfb
most people do their actual aiming with one eye, with rifles at any rate. but before they aim, they judge the distance with both eyes. that way, they know where to aim.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

You put one eye in front of the scope, and that tells you the line the slug will go out along. However, if you don't have a good idea of how far out you're shooting, you can't figure out how much elevation you're going to need, and you could easily hit noticeably above or below your point of aim.
Grinder
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Because it's faster to ask again, and funner to hear people complain about the search function not being used? smile.gif

Welcome to DS. biggrin.gif
Kiedo
Sorry for not searching well enough, all I could find was SR3 stuff and stuff from when SR4 wasn't out yet and the contents were just rumored.
blakkie
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ May 2 2006, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ May 2 2006, 01:20 PM)

You put one eye in front of the scope, and that tells you the line the slug will go out along. However, if you don't have a good idea of how far out you're shooting, you can't figure out how much elevation you're going to need, and you could easily hit noticeably above or below your point of aim.

Er, for judging scope type ranges your second eye means very little. If nothing at all. Practice at judging ranges means a hell of a lot more. So if you are use to only having one eye, no problem.

http://www.losteye.com/depthper.htm EDIT: Make sure to scroll down to his 6 month after eye loss update. The short section at the end titled: The Loss Of Depth Perception Is A Total Crock!

Ironically this means it should impact melee more than with anything beyond short pistol ranges, and then mostly because of a narrowed field of vision. Which might not even apply to a cyclops physique depending on eye placement and lensing. Just another little bit of "realism" in rules that is bullshit built upon myth. Another bit of detrital hubris cluttering up the damn game.

Yay Realism! dead.gif
Aku
i had always thought, that in humans, the loss of depth perception was caused by having the eyes off center, where as with a cyclops the eye is dead center (whichis how the pairings of human eyes work, your brain takes the input from one eye, compares it to the other eye and says "yep, this is where stuff is" I fully beleive that with training and practice, that someone could probably "retrain" themselves so that their brain thinks that their one eye is in the center, so that there would be no depth perception loss.

EDIT: and i wrote all of that before reading the page. Again, i think its all about how hard you work/train at improving things, like any other sort of rehab. you work hard (which it seems like this guy did) and you can see very good results. You lay in bed letting your tennis ball hit you in the face moping, you won't.
Moon-Hawk
I'll just put in my .02 that stereoscopic vision only helps at short/medium ranges. At long range you use contextual clues and experience to judge distance.
Kiedo
Back when I was a kid, my dad and I used to go hunting(I don't now, something about senseless killing...), and as such I am very proficient with a scoped rifle, and I've found after taking a special trip to the range to test the theories, that looking through the scope you loose all concept of distance. I asuming that this comes from your eyes being used to normal magnification, and are taken back by the world seeming much closer (but that's not really the argument is it). I did notice that when I had a friend set the target at a random distance, I had more luck gauging the distance with both eyes open, but again this could be attributed to the fact that I'm used to stereoscopic vision. I was still within five feet, plus or minus, of the actual distance of the target when I covered my left eye (I shoot left handed), but was far more inaccurate with my right eye (which was more like fifteen feet, plus or minus), which I thought was very odd. With both eyes open I found myself to be within two feet, give or take.

In case you were wondering the farthest out we placed a target was 100 yards the closest being 20 yards down range. We measured the distances during cease fires for target changes, with a 500 foot survey tape measure I have in my garage (why I couldn't tell you but it's there).

I hope that helps with your cyclops debate, I personally don't have an opinion since I can see where both sides are coming from, all I have is a little test I did (which I had fun doing because we were playing range poker after we had gauged distance and were waiting for the next cease fire).

And by the way Moon-Hawk, that is an awsome sig, I have read the entire dark tower series three times, and it still remains on of my favorite series of books.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012