Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL difference between a silencer and a supressor?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moon-Hawk
Oh mighty gun-nuts, I beg your wisdom.
Silencers are for SA weapons, supressors are for BF/FA, at least in SR. But what's the difference? I don't understand why there would be two different devices. Are they constructed differently?
I'm sure this is a long answer to a simple question, but just for the record I'm not particularly interested in changing SR or anything, I'm just trying to learn a little about guns.
And oh yeah, HOW DO FIREARMS REALISM!?!?!?!?!?1 embarrassed.gif
HMHVV Hunter
From what I know of the subject (which admittedly comes from other RPG sources), there isn't one, really. Suppressors are the proper name for silencers, from what I've heard, so they're one and the same.

My guess is that SR used two terms to differentiate between Pistol silencers and SMG or higher ones.
Moon-Hawk
Oh, so it's just so it's just an easy way to track the different prices/availability/etc. of the same basic device, but in a small size for pistols and a larger size for larger weapons? Hmmm, that almost makes sense. But what about machine pistols? If that's the only difference, then I'd think you'd use (in Shadowrun, now, not RL) a "silencer" for pistols/machine pistols, and a "supressor" for SMG's, MG's, AR's, etc.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
From what I know of the subject (which admittedly comes from other RPG sources), there isn't one, really. Suppressors are the proper name for silencers, from what I've heard, so they're one and the same.

Right. Sound suppressor sounds more formal, but silencer means the same thing -- unlike magazine/clip.

If you're using quality suppressors, the technology is the same regardless of whether you're suppressing a bolt-action, semi-automatic or fully automatic weapon. There isn't necessarily any difference in size, etc. either. For example, these machine gun suppressors are tiny, while this suppressor for a semi-auto is huge. Or compare this FN FAL suppressor to a suppressor of the same caliber for a bolt-action -- the latter is no doubt much more effective, but it's also far bigger than the one meant for the select-fire rifle.

Increased heat retention is a problem for repeated shooting with suppressors. A machine gun with a hefty suppressors would overheat significantly faster than one without. Not that there's much point in suppressing an MG in combat in the first place.

Sound Suppression at Raygun's site.
Austere Emancipator
Ahh, good ole camo wang...
Moon-Hawk
Well, Raygun's site pretty much answers any questions I could possibly have about supression.
Thanks.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Sound Suppression can be taken to ridiculous extremes sometimes.

You know

I thought I could keep my GF satisfied

But how can I compete with THAT
Fire Hawk
Um...

What's the point of silencing an artillery cannon? If you're hitting your target from several kilometers away, does it *matter* if the poor bastards at G-0 wouldn't be able to hear the thing go off from that distance anyway? Besides, you've silenced the cannon, but what about the shell?
Kagetenshi
So the neighbors don't complain.

~J
Foreigner
Fire Hawk:

I think that the main reason for silencing an artillery piece is to prevent the concussion caused by firing the weapon from stunning *your own* troops, rather than the enemy's.

Kagetenshi:

IIRC, Hiram Maxim, who invented the silencer sometime around the dawn of the 20th Century, made silencers for everything from .22 rimfire pistols all the way up to a silencer for a 4" artillery piece.

The Maxim Silencer Company also made automotive mufflers (the technology is pretty much the same).

An acquaintance of mine owned an antique (1930s-vintage, I think) diesel generator. The beastie's muffler had an attached bronze plate stamped "MAXIM SILENCER CO." .

--Foreigner
Austere Emancipator
The 155mm howitzer suppressor that was linked above was made precisely so that neighbors wouldn't complain. I have not heard of any modern attempts to sound suppress artillery for any other reason -- which doesn't mean no such attempt has been made.
mfb
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I have not heard of any modern attempts to sound suppress artillery...

that only makes sense, doesn't it?
Raygun
QUOTE (Foreigner @ May 5 2006, 10:12 PM)
IIRC, Hiram Maxim, who invented the silencer sometime around the dawn of the 20th Century, made silencers for everything from .22 rimfire pistols all the way up to a silencer for a 4" artillery piece.

Hiram Percy Maxim did not invent the silencer (his father, Hiram Stevens Maxim, did invent the machine gun, though). He was just the first person to come up with a design that sold reasonably well. In fact, Maxim Silencers, Inc. still exists today, though it doesn't make firearm sound suppressors anymore. There are a few European patents that outdate his first 1908 patent by a couple of decades, and there are probably older ones that I'm not aware of. People have been attempting to suppress firearms since at least the flintlock days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012