Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Senator Schwarzenegger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Data Wrangler
With the election of the Governator in Kalifornia, I got to wondering...

I know "Senator Schwarzenegger" was mentioned at least once in the sourcebooks, but was was he mentioned other times? Does anyone have a list? Could we compile one?

I'll start the ball rolling with this oblique reference from Paranormal Animals of North America. On page 23, in the Bandersnatch shadowtalk, Bladerunner says:

You into old movies? Pre-simsense, I'm talking. Check out an old classic, Predator, with Arnold Schwarzenegger before he went into politics. That's what this bleeder looks like, pretty close.

Hot Wheels
In NAN1 they talk about blood games in Las Vegas where one of the competators looks like an "old flat star" so much so he goes by the names of (I can't be certain of the exact name) Conan the Senator. (or maybe Arnold the Barbaraian)
Nath
QUOTE (Hot Wheels)
In NAN1 they talk about blood games in Las Vegas where one of the competators looks like an "old flat star" so much so he goes by the names of (I can't be certain of the exact name) Conan the Senator. (or maybe Arnold the Barbaraian)

The name the fighter use is "Conan the Republican", and it's the shadowtalker who makes a textual reference to Senator Schwarzenegger.
Hot Wheels
Hey, I was close.
Munchkinslayer
Thought you hadta be native born to be a senator? Senator Swarzenegger, bah! That's totally unrealistic. What's next? Dragons and wizards? Oh wait, my bad.
TinkerGnome
Senator, etc., has a residency requirement, but I don't think native born is required. About the only job that requires that is the Presidency (and VP by extension).
Page 92 of Aztlan Shadowland Document

>>>>>(Yeah, right.  And I've seen Jetblack.  (oh, hey, did you know Elvis tried to assassinate Senator Schwarzenegger?  It's true..))<<<<<
      -Boris (22:23:16/5-9-56)
Arz
There is a loophole for the native born requirement to be Pres. You can be either born of native parent(s) or born in the country. These requirements only count towards the presidency.

On an evil note Arnold has enough money that he could buy a constitutional amendment to change these requirements.
EVLTIM
QUOTE (Arz)
There is a loophole for the native born requirement to be Pres. You can be either born of native parent(s) or born in the country. These requirements only count towards the presidency.

On an evil note Arnold has enough money that he could buy a constitutional amendment to change these requirements.

Uhm doesn't that make one native borne? wobble.gif
Drain Brain
That being the case, how come Dunkelzahn made president? Huh?

He was born BEFORE the USA was conceived!
Arz
QUOTE (EVLTIM)
QUOTE (Arz @ Oct 15 2003, 09:25 AM)

Uhm doesn't that make one native borne? wobble.gif

Read and think. Your parent(s) could have you in france. If they are citizen(s) you are considered native born.
Tanka
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
That being the case, how come Dunkelzahn made president? Huh?

He was born BEFORE the USA was conceived!

This is UCAS, guy. Besides, what would they say?

"I'm sorry Mr. Dragon, but you weren't born in America/Canada."

Yeah. Right.
Arz
QUOTE (tanka)

"I'm sorry Mr. Dragon, but you weren't born in America/Canada."

Yeah.  Right.

State Department Rep: "I believe we can arange a legacy citizenship for you. Must be some legal precedent we can dig up from the 1790's..."

I'd look it up in the Super Tuesday book, but I don't own it.
Tanka
What precedent is that?

"All nominees with supernatural powers and/or a supernatural being are now able to be elected."

Mwaha. I wish. biggrin.gif
Jestyr
QUOTE (tanka)
What precedent is that?

How about "All candidates capable of eating most of the State Department without batting an eyelid are now eligible"? smile.gif
Tanka
Hey! I'm a cannibal!

Wait, no, no I'm not. Unless the addage "You are what you eat" is put on the stack after the "You are" part, thusly making you, literally, what you eat.

Right now I'm a brautwurst. grinbig.gif
L.D
I couldn't find anything other than:

In mid-2056, the great dragon Dunkelzahn was awarded UCAS citizenship by an act of Congress that produced a 15-minute media blitz (quickly forgotten as soon as the new Urban Brawl scores came along). The prospect of taxing the dragon's holdings was just too juicy for the UCAS government to resist...
Tanka
Fair enough.

And I thought we could all eat a few members of Congress and be able to become President by that fact alone... Drats!
Thank about this where the first few presidents born in a Nation that didn't exist entill after the revolution. Ummm yes they were perhaps(though not all) born on the same soil. But the nation didn't exist. They were smart man and made sure for loopholes.
WhiteRabbit
Actually, the requirnments, from the US Constitution, Article II section 2 is:
"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States."

Now, while Dunkie is not a natural born citizen, being far too old, it could be argued that he was a citizen of the US at the time of the adoption of the Constitution if his down time lair was located in one of the 13. After all, just because he was asleep at the time dosen't mean that he wasn't living in the area. grinbig.gif

Or something like that.
Ferratus
Ok...get out your sourcebooks, but I found out the reason why Dunkie was running.

Super Tuesday, pg 8.

"On March 15, 2057, Dunkelzahn declared his intention to run for president of the UCAS on a special episode of his talk show "Wyrm Talk." He is legally able to do this under the revision to the UCAS Constitution that allows new citizens to become president- a provision originally intended to "grandfather" the citizens of Canada into the electoral process during the formation of the new union between Canada and what was left of the United States."

Soooooo....there could be a revision like the above to allow Arnie to become Prez. Wasnt there a bit in a movie about how the constitution was changed to allow him to become prez? Escape from LA or some such........<shrug>

>>
that damned carpet shark
<<

Pistons
It was Demolition Man.
Snow_Fox
"put me back in the 'fridge!"
Seville
FYI: Nadja Daviar is from Eastern Europe, so she falls under the same rule. She's VP, but has the same citizenship requirements as the president.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Seville)
FYI:  Nadja Daviar is from Eastern Europe, so she falls under the same rule.  She's VP, but has the same citizenship requirements as the president.

Another interesting thought:
Nadja Daviar is the CEO of Draco Foundation, an extraterritorial corporation. So she should be a citizen of DF. not UCAS...
Then again, she could have double citizenship.
Nath
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
Another interesting thought:
Nadja Daviar is the CEO of Draco Foundation, an extraterritorial corporation. So she should be a citizen of DF. not UCAS...
Then again, she could have double citizenship.

- To be precise, Daviar is the "chairman" of the Draco Fundation (it could make a difference from a legal point of view if it wasn't fr the following point)
- As far as we know, the Draco Fundation is a fundation, not a corporation (different type of legal entity).
- There are no mention of the DF getting any kind of legal extraterritoriality. It's only said the DF has as much wealth as a megacorp.
- There's nothing that force an extraterritorial corporation to have its chairman, CEO, or any employees, of its corporate citizenship. Like emitting corp scrip, megacorps can do it, but it's not mandatory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012