Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ramming and destroyed vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gort
Just DMed my first game, and a couple of things confused me, or I just couldn't find them in the rulebook.

First off, what happens to a vehicle when it gets destroyed? We had an electric 3 wheeler get shot up by a guy with a scorpion machine pistol, and I would've felt a bit harsh having it explode in a giant fireball, killing the two runners inside. I basically just had it get wrecked. But are there any actual rules on this?

Second, a vehicle crashed later in the run, and the rules say "apply damage to the vehicle as though it rammed itself". Okay. But what damage do the characters inside have to resist? From reading the rules, it looks like they take the same damage as the car does. (for the Nightsky that crashed, it's 12P) But this seems very high - it's the same damage as you take if the car runs you over! I just rule zeroed it to say they just took 6P damage.

Anyone know for sure?
James McMurray
1) There are no rules for what happens when a vehicle takes lethal damage. Generally I'd just have it crash, but if they glitched on any of the soak tests I might make it start to smolder and risk detonation. If they critical glitched it would go off immediately upon destruction.

2) Per the rules you do have to soak the full damage. I would give bonus dice for the test though. Offhand giving them bonus dice equal to the vehicle's body (or perhaps half that) sounds like a good idea. I'd also give 2-4 bonus dice depending on where they were and how they were secured. The front seats most likely have air bags for +2 dice on a frontal collision. Side air bags could give +2 from the side. Being buckled in would be another couple of dice. Leaning out the window to shoot the people behind you would give a penalty.
DrowVampyre
Also, what happens to the vehicle would depends a lot on what destroyed it. If the car get's broken by a mob of gangers beating it with pipes, axes, stop signs, and disembodied cyberlimbs, then it'd just stop running and be banged up awfully bad. If it gets peppered by a squad of assault rifle wielding runners, it'd be smoking and possibly on fire, depenign on what kind of ammo they use and such. If it gets hit by an antivehicle missile, well...that goes without saying. Basically, I'd go with effects based on the type of damage done to it and how much overkill got put in. Barely destroying it would make it just stop running, while going way over is gonna give you Hollywood effects.
Red
Anyone notice how much easier it is to survive a 60 kph crash in a dodge scoot than inside a citymaster? Unless my understanding of the crash rules are wrong, blowing a tred in a tank and hitting a wall basically equates to chunk salsa.
DrowVampyre
Yeah, I noticed that too. I think, however, that passengers get to add the vehicle's armor to their own, just as they would if they were attacked while inside the vehicle. It doesn't seem to say that that rule doesn't apply to ramming/crashing damage, unless I'm missing something, and in fact even mentions ramming under the same heading, simply saying it affects both vehicles and passengers.
Gort
Hmm, I just had a thought - when passengers are shot at while inside a vehicle, they get the armour value of the vehicle added to theirs to resist the damage. Perhaps this also applies to crashes? So if a normal person (body 3) crashes their nightsky at 60kph, and needs to resist 12P damage, they'd get the 10 armour from the nightsky added to their resistance roll, meaning they'll probably survive at least.

However, the rules say you use half impact armour to resist, so that puts us back to 8 dice... and this rule still doesn't change the fact that coming off a scooter at 200 kph will hurt you just as much as crashing your limo at 60, which is just plain stupid.

I feel a house rule coming on.
James McMurray
What about subtracting some multiple of the the armor and/or body value from the damage taken by the passengers? Crashing a scoot wouldn't protect you much, but you have to hit a wall going really fast to get hurt in a city master.
Protagonist
Aren't most car explosions caused by their fuel?

I was under the assumption that most vehicles in shadowrun ran off of electricity (mainly from batteries/city grids, if I remember correctly; if not, feel free to correct me). So most really wouldn't be in danger of exploding.
Gort
QUOTE (James McMurray)
What about subtracting some multiple of the the armor and/or body value from the damage taken by the passengers? Crashing a scoot wouldn't protect you much, but you have to hit a wall going really fast to get hurt in a city master.

What I'd like to see is some kind of base damage value based on speed, which is then lowered by the body and armour ratings of the vehicle.

Of the vehicles, crashing a motorcycle should be MOST lethal, while crashing a heavily-armoured military/security vehicle should be least. But the way this works is the other way round.

Oh, and another thing I've just noticed - when ramming a vehicle, the respective sizes of the vehicles have no effect on the outcome.

I am looking forward to seeing someone on a dodge scoot ram a citymaster off the road, instantly vapourising the guys inside when it hits a tree.
hobgoblin
i would go with this:

you first check damage for the vehicle as normal, then you pass on any hits that goes beyond the vehicles condition monitor onto the passangers. logic behind that is that most vehicles are designed now to absorb the force generated in a impact by behaving like a acordian (or however its spelled).

optionaly you can have them resist any damage thats left after the vehicle have rolled to soak damage.

strangely, a flat out crash with a motorcycle can be less dangerus then in a car. reason for that is that if your wearing a proper helmet and clothes you can be trown of and slide along the road or whatever surface you land on. some nasty cuts and burns yes, but unless you hit a tree or something else massive your not going to risk much damage.

however, in a car there are all kinds of things to impact with, like say the car itself. its not the speed itself that kills you, its the sudden stop that do.

and when one vehicle hits another, i belive your supposed to use the body of the other vehicle as a base for what damage is done. so a scooter impacting a truck will use the truck body for calculating damage to the scooter, and the scooter body for calculating damage done to the truck.

the problem of the non-"vehicle vs vehicle" crash rule is that it makes no diffrence between driving of road and just stopping suddenly or driving of road into a tree or building.

allso, given that the chase rules do not use speed what so ever, you can declare that any crash happens at anywhere between 0 and the top speed of the vehicle.
Shrike30
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
strangely, a flat out crash with a motorcycle can be less dangerus then in a car. reason for that is that if your wearing a proper helmet and clothes you can be trown of and slide along the road or whatever surface you land on. some nasty cuts and burns yes, but unless you hit a tree or something else massive your not going to risk much damage.

"Can be," in the same way that people "can" survive going out a 5th story window with little more than bumps and bruises if they land just right...

If you're going at a low enough speed that the encounter with the road is a sliding one, then the situation you describe can happen. If you're going fast enough (and it doesn't take a lot of speed) that the impact with the road sends you spinning or cartwheeling along the concrete, the repeated bashing of your head and limbs against the concrete is going to break a lot of bones, possibly including some of those really important ones in your back and neck, when bits and pieces of your body begin stopping against the concrete while the rest of you keeps going.

Add in the motorcycle itself, with it's inertia in vaguely the same direction and you possibly tangled up with it, the other cars on the road, and all of the random crap that's in or alongside of a road, and I'd rather have a couple tons of steel around me than motorcycle gear any day of the week.

I helped with a patient a bit ago whose car had gone off a 90 foot cliff. Between the crumple zones, the airbags, and the seatbelt, the patient got away with bad belt bruises, some broken ribs and a broken wrist, and a dislocated shoulder. All that stuff built into a car to keep you in one piece? Yeah, that's a good thing...
Gort
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I came up with a houserule for crashing vehicles.

I figured that the damage done is pretty much independent of armour, cause it's a case of being thrown into the inside of the vehicle and armouring the outside of the vehicle isn't going to make that any less painful. So damage is just based off speed. Here's the rule:

"When a car crashes, the occupants take damage based on the speed at which the vehicle crashed. The damage is 1 DV for every 10 meters per combat turn the vehicle was traveling, plus 3. Characters roll impact armour plus body to resist the damage. Damage is stun at speeds below 30 meters per combat turn, and physical above. As a rule of thumb, crashes start becoming lethal around the 75 meters per combat turn mark, depending on the victim.

If a vehicle is destroyed while moving, it requires a vehicle test from the driver, threshold 3, to avoid crashing the vehicle. Success means that the driver has managed to safely bring the vehicle to a halt. If a vehicle takes more than twice as many boxes of damage than it has, safely stopping is out of the question, and the vehicle crashes as above."

What do you guys think?
Moon-Hawk
I think it's a start. Is this the case for a person who is seated but unrestrained? I will need modifiers for being properly restrained (either reduction in DV or bonus dice to resist damage), and I'd also like to see a condition for 'runners climbing around the back of a vehicle (such as a van) like jackasses, not seated/buckled/secured in any way, as 'runners often do.
Lagomorph
I think we eventually houseruled that passengers resist the damage that was applied to the vehicle after the vehicle made it's resist. So if the vehicle faces a 12 DV ram/crash, but makes 6 successes, it only takes 6 damage and then the occupants then resist the 6P damage after that.
Gort
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I think it's a start. Is this the case for a person who is seated but unrestrained? I will need modifiers for being properly restrained (either reduction in DV or bonus dice to resist damage), and I'd also like to see a condition for 'runners climbing around the back of a vehicle (such as a van) like jackasses, not seated/buckled/secured in any way, as 'runners often do.

Yeah, I was assuming the runners were buckled in in this. Double the damage for not being buckled in, eh?
hobgoblin
or if your "lucky", thrown thru a window and away from the vehicle...

hmm, it will be interesting to see if arsenal will elaborate on the base collision rules.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Shrike30)
If you're going at a low enough speed that the encounter with the road is a sliding one, then the situation you describe can happen. If you're going fast enough (and it doesn't take a lot of speed) that the impact with the road sends you spinning or cartwheeling along the concrete, the repeated bashing of your head and limbs against the concrete is going to break a lot of bones, possibly including some of those really important ones in your back and neck, when bits and pieces of your body begin stopping against the concrete while the rest of you keeps going.

Add in the motorcycle itself, with it's inertia in vaguely the same direction and you possibly tangled up with it, the other cars on the road, and all of the random crap that's in or alongside of a road, and I'd rather have a couple tons of steel around me than motorcycle gear any day of the week.

I helped with a patient a bit ago whose car had gone off a 90 foot cliff. Between the crumple zones, the airbags, and the seatbelt, the patient got away with bad belt bruises, some broken ribs and a broken wrist, and a dislocated shoulder. All that stuff built into a car to keep you in one piece? Yeah, that's a good thing...

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but since I ride motorcycles, and have crashed, going 65mph, the sliding on the road surface really is not bad whatsoever as long as you have the proper gear on. (Helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots) Its the sudden stops that mess you up. Sliding is extremely common in most every motorcycle wreck, since most motorcycle wrecks are a result of losing traction and tipping over. If your crash was from colliding with something, then the worst part of the crash would be when you landed against the roadway. Also, as far a motorcycles go, they slide faster than a person does, and don't generally slide into the person.
hobgoblin
hmm, when did runners start to ride motorcycles with the proper gear on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012