Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The "interesting role-playing flaws" thread.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SpasticTeapot
I have a PC who has managed to take the Amnesia flaw without munchkining. He's cyber-free, and acts as a mechanic/getaway guy/secret weapon for the group. (He's so far rolled amazingly while throwing his signature cue ball, taking out major goons with ease.)
Can anyone reccomend some more RP-based flaws? One would have to be careful allowing a PC to take these but they can add flavor to a campaign.

My ideas so far:
1. Old looking. -5pt flaw.
The PC appears much older than he actually is. Although this gives him a +1 die to +2 dice modifier while dealing with other older people, he incurs a penalty of up to -2 on social rolls with the younger generation, and unless special circumstances apply, takes a -3 penalty to Seduction checks.

2. Old. -30 pt. flaw.
In addition to the penalties mentioned above, the character cannot have any physical attribute at 5 or above before racial adjustments, and only one physical attribute at 4. (This last point does not cost extra build points, and is before racial adjustment.) The third and fourth point of any attribute cost 15 instead of 10, for a cost of 25 for an attribute of 3 and 40 for an attribute of 4.
However, the character recieves double the number of free knowledge skill points from Intelligence, and is elidgible for discounts at some restaurants and car washes, in addition to AARP membership for SINners.
Elves may not take this flaw.

Also, you'll see how Amnesia will bite this character in the ass if you read below.

[ Spoiler ]
DrowVampyre
Hmm...well, I don't know how particularly interesting it is, but I've got a character who's the son of a recently ousted Triad boss, so the new boss and his crew are hunting him. Also, he's got an allergy to soy, so he always has to eat real food.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (DrowVampyre)
Hmm...well, I don't know how particularly interesting it is, but I've got a character who's the son of a recently ousted Triad boss, so the new boss and his crew are hunting him. Also, he's got an allergy to soy, so he always has to eat real food.

...Yeah, my character Randi "Desert" Rhodes had the same allergy, made for an expensive lifestyle.
fool
character one of my players was running thought he was Captain Jack Sparrow (either he thought he was or he actually was he wasn't sure since he also suffered from amnesia. I played the campaign as if he actually was Jack Sparrow.)
ronin3338
None off the top of my head, but check out GURPS. There are tons of disadvantages, and since they're point based, conversion should be simple math (with some adjusting for the SR setting)

Honestly, I wouldn't get too bogged down with it. If a player comes up with one, work it out, don't present them with a bigger list at chargen.
Aku
and i disagree with 1, just look at what Bonds does to the ladies lol
emo samurai
I have one: "Narration." +10 BP

The character has to narrate every roll he takes or he suffers a -2 dice pool penalty. This does not have to be loud; it may be mumbled under his breath. If he mumbles while in stealth, he gets a -2 modifier to his stealth pool.
blakkie
QUOTE (emo samurai)

The character has to narrate every roll he takes or he suffers a -2 dice pool penalty. This does not have to be loud; it may be mumbled under his breath. If he mumbles while in stealth, he gets a -2 modifier to his stealth pool.

So really it is a "take -2 penalty to the Stealth Group"?
emo samurai
Also, he can't really talk to people ever, since he's constantly referring to himself in the third person, and the player has to make something up whenever he does something.
stevebugge
Tourette Syndrome +5, +10, or +15 for mild, moderate, or severe.

The character is plagued by facial tics and makes random verbal utterances involuntarily. This of course makes normal social interaction difficult so characters taking this quality lose 1, 2, or 3 dice from all social tests depending on severity. The severity determines the frequency and also the character and volume of the verbal and facial tic. This may range from a slight twitch and a quiet unintelligble sound for a mild case to scrunching the face and loudly shouting vulgarities for a severe case. Characters taking this quality are encouraged to determine what their signature tics are.
emo samurai
Whoa, this AND uncouth?
stevebugge
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Whoa, this AND uncouth?

Sure you could have this and bad manners too. You would be the life of the party silly.gif
Spoonfunk
Wayyy back in SR2 i made one of the greatest characters I have ever made, totally based off of one flaw.
The character was loosly based off of William Gibsons Nueromancer. The character was created with the borrowed time flaw. His back story was simple. At one time he was a legendary decker of much repute and one day he was hired by a johnson to hack a secured database. It was of course a trap, the johnson was setting him up so the corp could test a new form of Black IC. The enitire theory behind it was that it slowly set his brain to where he would suffer a stroke in a calculated amount of time. Shortly after he woke up he did some digging and tracks down the scientist to his home. Upon arrivving however he found that the scientist had been killed and his case files stolen. His duaghter was also there in some sort of coma. so he took the girl and some backup files he had found and fled. Putting her into a shadow clinic and doing his digging he found nothing but dead ends, no cure nothing. The only thing he had learned of the case files was the exact time estimated that he would die.
THe coolest thing about it was that with one flaw his entire personallity changed. He became a stim addict because he never wanted to lose time. He gained a phobia of the matrix becuase of the black IC. He also became increasingly paranoid about johnsons becuase of what had bappened.

In some ways its not only the way you play the one flaw but the way you play the changes in personality that the flaw would affect
mfb
SR3 rules, as usual.

Oathbound
Cost: -1 to -4
The character has sworn an oath, be it a solemn spiritual vow, a promise, a contractual agreement, or even an off-handed affirmation that has been somehow karmically bound to the character's destiny. While the degree of seriousness associated with the oath should ideally correspond with the value of the flaw, this need not necessarily be the case. Fate is fickle.
In practical terms, so long as the character is fulfilling or acting in accordance with the oath, Good Karma is earned normally. If the character forsakes the oath, a 10% penalty per point of the Oathbound flaw is applied to all Good Karma awards, with modified values rounded down. The character must resume pursuit of the oath in order to gain Good Karma at a normal rate once more.
Characters should not combine this flaw with others. For instance, a character who has sworn to raise a younger sibling does not get points for both Oathbound and Dependent.
If a broken oath cannot be resumed, such as the event of a protected target dying, or if an oath is somehow fulfilled, the character must choose another flaw of equal value to the level of Oathbound the character possessed prior. Some ideas include Bad Karma, Cursed Karma, Hung Out To Dry, Bad Reputation, and Hunted.

Minor Celebrity
Cost: -2
The character is, for whatever reason, someone people have heard of, usually because the character has been in the news at some point. Not everyone will recognize the character by sight, but some will. It is also easier to find information about the character. Target Numbers for Matrix searchs and Etiquette tests made to find out information related to the character are reduced by 1 point.
James McMurray
Why would you come to a SR4 board and post SR3 rules?
mfb
because i trust SR4 players to be able to convert them. i can't, reliably, because i don't play the game; any converting i do would be suspect, at best. i figure it's easier for those who use the system frequently to judge the exact values to assign things created for SR3. and, well, i'm lazy; why would i go to the trouble of converting something to a game i don't play?
SL James
Admit it. Because you're a masochist.

QUOTE (emo samurai)

QUOTE (Family Guy)

Lois Griffin: Peter, it's just a phase. You've gone through a few yourself, you know.
Brian Griffin: Yeah, like those two weeks you spent narrating your own life.
Peter Griffin: [flashback] I walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table. I looked with a grimace at the questionable meal Lois had placed in front of me. Of course, I would never tell her how disgusted I was with her cooking, but somehow I think she knew. Lois had always been full of energy and life, but lately I had begun to grow more aware of her aging. The bright, exuberant eyes that I had fallen in love with were now beginning to grow dull and listless with the long fatigue of a weary life.
[Lois slugs Peter, knocking him out - cut to nighttime]
Peter Griffin: I awoke several hours later in a daze.
warrior_allanon
gotta bring back a classic, +5bp Vindictive as per SR3
emo samurai
I got the inspiration from that.
Divine Virus
Well, in a SR4 game I am currently playing a character who was a sprite. Breaking free from his Tasking, he ran off and found a psychotropic Black IC reprogramming a brain. Being damn curious( and a crack sprite) he cracked the Black IC and had it write the sprites own personality into the body. Of course, said sprite is almost totally socially inept. He also has many quirks like bemoaning how slow time moves (he is used to living in digital speeds) and he hates sleep. Sprites don't sleep, and he has nothing to compaire it too. Below are a few of his social interactions.

On greeting a Johnson:
Sebastian Examines the relection of the man in a mirrior, using his cyberyes to zoom in and inspect him closely. Sebastian waits a minuet, time it exactly, and listens to what the others have to say. So this is the fellow, I better introduce us, since no one else seems polite enough to. Sebastian jumps up out of his chair and walks up to the man.

"Hi!" He says, extending his hand chearfully, "I'm Sebastian, and Thats Gore, and thats Al. I heard that You're the one who asked us all the come here. Well, three of us aren't here yet, but I think one of them is around Everret, and another near Southern Seattle, so it shouldn't be a long trip for him at all. It was longer for me I can tell you, but then again, everything moves so slowly here, so that might just be me. Have you noticed that everything seems to move slowly?"
Sebastian cocks his head to the side with the last question, and inhales deeply, catching his breath and he eagerly waits for a reply. On the inside he's beaming, and on the outside he is grinning more then slightly foolishly. I am definatly getting better at talking to people. I talk for a long time there, which is good. or did time just go slow again and I didn't talk for long...

"Did I talk long there or in time just going slow again?" Sebastian, possibly inturuppting the man's start of the man's reply

On reciveing a rude text message from a teammate, then dissucssing it later

"So you seemed uptight in your reply. Is there somthing wrong?"

Avenger looks the man up and down, "Meh... Just trying to limit the "geeked by association factor." Well anyways we can talk later if it bothered ya..." This guy legit or what?

"Bothered me? Of course not." Sebastian said in his best reassuring tone. Which really wasn't very reassuring at all. "I'm mearly worried about you. I mean, when I get angery or stressed or mean my body tends to do weird stuff I don't like. Especially in the shoulders and chest. And if I am angery or stressed or afraid or mean then I end up not being happy, and I have decided that I like being happy, and I also think that most people do as well. Of course, I don't seem to understand most people well, so I might be mistaken here. do correct me if I am wrong."
stevebugge
Hmmm... Seems remarkably like a Brent Spiner played Character from the early seasons of a certain Roddenberry spin off in the 90's

Does sound like it might be fun to play though, especially with an eye towards "how long until everyone catches on?"
BnF95
How would you guys rate an "adrenaline addict" flaw?

Someone who likes and lives for the rush of adrenaline flowing through their veins. Gets a +1 initiative bonus but must always try to push the envelope.
Geekkake
QUOTE (BnF95)
How would you guys rate an "adrenaline addict" flaw?

Someone who likes and lives for the rush of adrenaline flowing through their veins. Gets a +1 initiative bonus but must always try to push the envelope.

I'd drop the +1 init. It's essentially just an addiction, use the same qualities, and the player needs to routinely risk life and limb for a rush.
mfb
you could call it the Daredevil quality. grants you +1 Edge that can only be used when you're doing something incredibly risky.
Moon-Hawk
But really, giving an initiative bonus and then trying to pass it off as a flaw? Cheesy. (Not to say it hasn't been done) If you really want both aspects, create a Daredevil positive quality as mfb suggests, and then offset the cost with an addiction to dangerous situations.
-X-
I don't know if it would be a full-on flaw, but you could give them two identities. (Not Schizophrenia) They have their real identity which they may at some point discover, but they also have an assumed name and SIN.

Could be fun for them to slowly learn about 'themselves' and have each new piece of information directly in conflict with the characters skills and attributes. For instance they could find out that they have a job in an accounting firm, yet don't seem to have a head for numbers and knows almost nothing useful about the Matrix (Yet can occasionally spout out incredibly obscure magical theories if the topic comes up). Not to mention the fact that none of the people at the firm have ever seen the character before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012