Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free Sprites....Anyone used them yet?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stevebugge
So I was going through the section on Technomancers again and was thinking about free sprites, and how a free machine sprite could (among many other things) end up like Johnny 5 in Short Circuit. Basically it looks like free sprites have great potential as a plot wrinkle, maybe even as NPC's, much the way free spirits do. Anyone actually incorporated this in to their game yet? If so how did it go over?
Big D
Ewww... evil thought.

Mutated bits of Deus, not quite sentient, running across the matrix.
emo samurai
I've had one in my game, it looked like a wolf puppy and jumped into a TM player's head.
FanGirl
Emo gave my TM a free sprite that manifests as a wolf puppy. I'm guessing that the pup is a powerful ally, but he quite literally gives her a headache if she doesn't store him in her commlink.

EDIT: And once again, Emo beats my initiative.
emo samurai
It's soooooo cute... but it came to her under very scary circumstances.

Edit: My initiative is 73|-| |-|4><><0Rz.
FanGirl
Yeah, he's very awesome. I've decided to name him Rudy--short for Rudolf.
emo samurai
He won't be a wolf puppy forever, though. biggrin.gif
Abschalten
I'm actually cooking up a plotline that involves a vengeful free Machine Sprite initiating some real world murder when its technomancer lover gets killed by some Vory. Should be pretty interesting.
emo samurai
Is the sprite Dikoted, or is it just Hardened?
stevebugge
I believe that unlike Free Spirits and ally, Sprites would not be able to manifest. A Machine Sprite could certainly inhabit a robotic body but that would be more akin to the Homonculus rules from SR 2-3.

So I think the Dikoted AVS Ally Sprite is right out.
Lebo77
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I believe that unlike Free Spirits and ally, Sprites would not be able to manifest. A Machine Sprite could certainly inhabit a robotic body but that would be more akin to the Homonculus rules from SR 2-3.

So I think the Dikoted AVS Ally Sprite is right out.

Sooo... could a machine spirit inhabit something like an Anti-Vehicle missle? And what would happen when the missle blew up? *evil thoughts*
emo samurai
OH NO NOT THE WOLF PUPPY!!! >.(.... (Judge Dredd Crying)
stevebugge
Probably even more frightening would be if a Free Machine Sprite took up residence in your Skillwires.
Lindt
Gahhhh scary thoughts can come from that one...
FanGirl
QUOTE (emo samurai)
OH NO NOT THE WOLF PUPPY!!! >.(.... (Judge Dredd Crying)

Don't worry, I won't let him go into anything that is likely to explode.
emo samurai
Oh thank god... > ) (Judge Dredd Smiling)

And how would a sprite take up residence in your skillwires unless you had them wireless? If you have them wireless, you deserve to have your face shot off by your own hand.

Oh, and speaking of taking over skinlinked skillwires, if you attached a wireless transceiver to their skin with, say, a gun or something, wouldn't you be able to hack their skillwires?
stevebugge
Sure you wouldn't be too smart to leave your skillwires subscribed to your commlink in an undefended wireless mode, but that isn't the only way a sprite could get in. Imagine that you are really short on cash and someone offers you a really good deal on a set of slightly used skillwires.......
Monnock
Ork4life, don't read this =P (Contains plot spoilers for later on in my game)

[ Spoiler ]
Aaron
Encapsulated in a spoiler to protect Monnock's game.

[ Spoiler ]
Monnock
More secret stuff

[ Spoiler ]
Dranem
QUOTE (emo samurai)
I've had one in my game, it looked like a wolf puppy and jumped into a TM player's head.

I still like to know how you figure out the Sprite could get into the Technomancer's head when, according to the rules, the TM has no form of organic memory
Kremlin KOA
every time I read that, I think of Memento
James McMurray
That is quite possibly one of the top 5 psychological thrillers of all time.
Kremlin KOA
the other four?

I would put Pi up there
James McMurray
I never saw Pi. I'm not sure what the other 4 would be, but I knew if i said it was the best I'd think of something better mere moments later. smile.gif

Silence of the Lambs is towards the top of the list for sure.
Monnock
I still like to know how you figure out the Sprite could get into the Technomancer's head when, according to the rules, the TM has no form of organic memory

Sounds like something that would be interesting to figure out rather than dismissing it as someone forgetting the rules. Often times things will happen in my games that seem like a continuity problem and my players will dismiss it as such, but in reality it makes perfect sense if you stop metagaming and look at the big picture.

Usually it is in the form of "Why would he do that!" As though you can make a statement like that about someone you hardly even know. "Well, he must be dumb." Or he has a plan.
Edward
And what is the storage requirement for a sprite anyway. They effectively start running in a technomanser’s head, why should a free sprite not be able to reside within a technomancer.

Edward
Monnock
Because, it gives you a headache! =P Besides, I'm sure there is more to that situation than meets the eye.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012