Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Security Terminals
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
Hi all,

When figuring out a SecTerm's Response reduction due to excessive programs, do Agents/IC count?

It started me thinking that Persona's avoid this reduction by launching Agents which no longer count againt Reponse/System reduction, so shouldn't a SecTerm also follow this example?

I'm sure a Term has loaded things like Analyze, Trace maybe even Attack, Black Hammer, Blackout, etc. However, once resources started to wane, could then launch the Agents/IC to "free-up" resources to help its own Response issues? Would this also mean since a Node isn't "running" your Agent, it wouldn't reduce the Response of the current Node?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

~GTT
stevebugge
A likely possibility might be the purchase use of Agent based utility suites of programs. Imagine a product like MCT Room Control. At it's core is an agent or pilot that ran the security for a room or series of rooms, it manages the security devices and defends itself against the casual hacker, and only called for your attention if it encountered some predefined set of conditions. Probably would be in heavy use anywhere that the accounting math made cost of purchase less than the cost of an additional employee and the value of the room was on the low end.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I'm sure a Term has loaded things like Analyze, Trace maybe even Attack, Black Hammer, Blackout, etc.

Why should it, beyond Analyze? question.gif
mdynna
The rules mention that a security system will do its best to not limit its response rating. If it has a bunch of programs running and needs to load up an IC or 2 as a threat response it will shut down some of those running programs first.

However, the node itself is not likely running any Attack or Trace programs. That is the work of threat response IC. The node itself is probably only running some utility programs like Analyze and Browse. Most Nodes unless the need to detect new Wireless nodes are probably only running Analyze. A security monitor-type node will be running Browse, however.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ May 12 2006, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I'm sure a Term has loaded things like Analyze, Trace maybe even Attack, Black Hammer, Blackout, etc.

Why should it, beyond Analyze? question.gif

I've sorta of hi-jacked my own thread in another topic but it bears repeating:

SecTerm-5 (can run 9 programs before R/S degrades): Analyze, Stealth, Browse, Armor, Encrypt, Trace, Attack/IC, Blackout/IC, Attack-Trace/IC

Once an intruder is spotted, the 3 IC apps are launched as free-floating Agents/IC (Attack/IC, Blackout/IC, Attack-Trace/IC). The Node can now load more programs (like Medic or other mobile ICs) to deal with the current threat/situation.
Rotbart van Dainig
Of course a Node may run Programs itself.
But the terminal has no Persona, so most Programs are quite useless... unless someone uses it instead of a Commlink.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Of course a Node may run Programs itself.
But the terminal has no Persona, so most Programs are quite useless... unless someone uses it instead of a Commlink.

Right, that's what I am trying to articulate.

The Node runs the programs or launches an IC out to "greet visitors" freeing up more program space.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012