Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inspirations From the Idiot Box
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
phasmaphobic
I've been out pf the Shadows for a while, and am now working to put together a series of one-shot "episodic" Shadowrun games. We'll be running it with something of a mildly humorous spin, deliberately enforcing a lot of the common tropes of television shows.

I'm looking for some TV Shows (and series, movies, etc) that could provide some good inspiration. Currently I'm actually getting a lot of inspiration from The A Team, Cold Case, and the CSI series, although only for some background setup and filler cotent.

Any suggestions?
Butterblume
The men of the A-Team are the first Shadowrunners biggrin.gif.
Shrike30
Alias is a good source of random cool sneaky moments and background plot arcs that keep coming up. Seasons 4 and 5 are kind of odd, but the first two were solid and 3 wasn't bad.
ronin3338
How about Charlie's Angels, or Knight Rider? Numbers and Criminal Minds, even Bones, are all pretty good for more serious looks, like Cold Case and CSI.

There's also The Equalizer, Rockford Files, Night Stalker (either incarnation is good for ideas), Vega$, and Airwolf also.
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (ronin3338)
How about Charlie's Angels, or Knight Rider? Numbers and Criminal Minds, even Bones, are all pretty good for more serious looks, like Cold Case and CSI.

There's also The Equalizer, Rockford Files, Night Stalker (either incarnation is good for ideas), Vega$, and Airwolf also.

I've Never heard of Bones, Numbers, or Night Stalkers.

Currently, one I'm watching for ideas is "Supernatural"

Interesting show
FanGirl
QUOTE (phasmaphobic)
I've been out pf the Shadows for a while, and am now working to put together a series of one-shot "episodic" Shadowrun games.  We'll be running it with something of a mildly humorous spin, deliberately enforcing a lot of the common tropes of television shows.

I'm looking for some TV Shows (and series, movies, etc) that could provide  some good inspiration.  Currently I'm actually getting a lot of inspiration from The A Team, Cold Case, and the CSI series, although only for some background setup and filler cotent.

Any suggestions?

You could try the Stupid Plot Tricks generator, which uses the Evil Overlord lists to help generate a selection of cliched tropes that you can use in a story. For example, say you get the tip: "I will not turn into a snake. It never helps." You can then use this tip to write a story in which the villain turns into a snake, which doesn't help him (or perhaps it does help him).
ludomastro
How about the old Mission Impossible TV show?
Kyoto Kid
...DarK Angel (I believe it was on either Fox or UPN). The programme lasted only a season or two, but it did have a decidedly Shadowrun like feel to it.

1. It took place in Seattle in the not to distant future.

2. The main character was a genetically boosted (enhanced) type of adept.

3. In the programme's backstory, there was a major economic crash which was precipitated by terrorist EMP attacks that brought down computer systems all over the world.

4. Most of the main characters lived as squatters (save for one character who ran a Streaming net - see # 6 below)

5. people were given identity barcode tattoos (eg. SIN)

6. While there was no real Matrix, there were a number of pirate & independent Streaming vid nets which had a fair amount of influence.
JongWK
It was a fine show, at least for the first season.

The second season... ugh.
Big D
Actually, I've been pondering the idea of a campaign based on Amazing Race.

Horizon is getting into the reality show business. Since the *last* time that anybody seriously tried reality shows, bets were placed with insider knowledge, the outcome was influenced by the mob, and the ending leaked onto the matrix before the first episode was released, they want to try something different.

A completely live, full simsense, 24x7 race around the world recorded by a number of cameras and live simsense feeds from simrigs on the contestants.

The production team wasn't satisfied with the level of security provided by the home office, and wants to hire a team to serve as additional off-camera protection. Not that having racers geeked on live simsense wouldn't boost ratings, but the production team has staked their careers on a smooth race.

If things go well, the team gets some nice cash, and gets to see lots of very interesting places across the planet. If... err, when, things go bad, the team has a chance to become trid stars... maybe that's not a good thing though, so keep those disguises handy.

Really, this can be done with any reality show; I just picked TAR because it gives runners the opportunity to see the world, while being forced to constantly deal with a changing security environment. Survivor doesn't have that. They may even have to protect the teams from each other.
stevebugge
In a nod to the fact that Shadowrun really is all about the '80s:

Miami Vice!
James McMurray
You do know that whenever you do a job for the mafia you don't meet with Mr. Johnson right? You met with Don Johnson. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012