Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Ancient Files: New Tricks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Heya shadowkids. I swear y'all get younger every year. Probably knew you when you were shadowsperm and cyberovum in the deep dark subclauses of the most wide-ranging DocWagon contracts...I can see the advert now "Why list your next of kin when our fine range of surrogate mothers can make you one?" Yeah...

Sorry, the mind does ramble on. Anyway, got a couple new updates on the website. Do tell me what you think. Oh, and anyone wants to give me some feedback on the top two of the old Best Of page, would appreciate it.
Grinder
"Things to Come" : love.gif
Ancient History
Heh. You're so easy.
Tiger Eyes
Regarding the "Things to Come", wasn't there speculation that the "infant" they're refering to was Arthur (of the famous sword-in-the-stone fashion)? And that "Ambrose was supposedly 'merlin' and watched over the little tyke? Hmm?
Ancient History
Heard the Ambrose == Ambrosius == Merlin angle. Hadn't heard the Arthur angle. Sounds good. I'll add that in.
Tiger Eyes
You just need to watch more Disney movies. smile.gif
Ancient History
That's T.H. White. merlin Ambrosius was Geofery of Monmouth.
Deamon_Knight
You won't be happy untill you have singled handedly created the Denver Data Haven, will you AH?
SL James
Crash 2.0 occured in 2064, not 2065.

Oh, and the ghoul in DMZ looks like an undead zombie rather than one of the Infected. Vampires are also the same regardless of race, as opposed to later in SR2 onward where each race has its own variant expression when exposed to the different strains of HMHVV.
Lindt
*thoughtfull sigh* Spinecrusher, breaker of souls. I love Sr sometimes.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
You won't be happy untill you have singled handedly created the Denver Data Haven, will you AH?

I think some of the hardware junkies around here could arrange that... wink.gif
Tanka
Heheheh...
Grinder
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Heh. You're so easy.

Sometimes, yes. biggrin.gif
Justin Cray
I just want to mention re: "A Handy Guide to the Shadowrun Multiverse" that DMZ had the best cover in SR history.
Witness
Great stuff as ever, AH.

I'd wondered about the chapter title 'Singularity' in System Failure. Makes sense now.

>>>>>[I know what you mean. I know, better than most, what is coming this time. But there has never been anything like the Matrix before. How this new cosmos will combine with the powers of the old, I don't know. Maybe the wall between them will stay up, maybe it won't. Right now it seems solid but next year? Or next decade? Even we can't begin to guess.]<<<<<
-Laughing Man (? ? : ? ? : ? ? /12-24-56)

This seems like a crucial paragraph. Sounds to me like 'new cosmos' is referring specifically to the Matrix, not to the modern world in general (but then you could still interpret it the other way). But if so what is the parallel 'old cosmos'? Anything to do with the source of JackBNimble?..
QUOTE (Dunklezahn's Will)
To Captain Chaos, I leave the encrypted file JackBNimble. Whatever rewards it reveals are yours. I had no success trying to decrypt this thing, but I’ve always believed it contained some communication from another world.

Do you know which writer wrote this exchange? (EDIT: 'Things to come' I mean) 2nd EDIT: Ah must have been Paul Hume I guess. Nevermind.
hobgoblin
ah, virtual realitys 2.0, i love that opening text...

but im not so sure i like the connection that ambrose = leonardo (the elf) = merlin (of the arthur legend). and yes i know that you didnt do that connection in the text, but its not that long of a stretch now is it?

and must confess, "plus ca change" have become my general response to must real world happenings these days wink.gif

btw, a small typo.
in your transcript of the VR2.0 text you have this line:
"Cind can rip out a computer core like a trigress"
i checked the book and the word trigress is supposed to be tigress wink.gif
Ancient History
Fixed.

Tell truth, I always figured Karl Heinz-Zessler was Ambrose.
Oracle
I am pretty sure the name is Karl-Heinz Zessler. Karl-Heinz is a combination of two German first names heavily used in the 40s and 50s of the 20th century.
FanGirl
Yeah, but the name of that famous ketchup corp would indicate that Heinz can also be a last name.
Oracle
It can be, yes. But the names Karl and Heinz are so often connected with a "-" that it is unlikely.

EDIT: http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=%22Hei...essler%22&meta=
FanGirl
Fine, I concede. But you can't blame a native English speaker for making that mistake!
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat some ketchup. nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Fixed.

Tell truth, I always figured Karl Heinz-Zessler was Ambrose.

guess i have to look up who he is..
PenAgain
I really do enjoy your annotations AH, and this set was no different!

Personally, I feel good about the Ambrose = Merlin analogy, and taking it no further (no Leonardo, for instance). I think that the EDSR universe needs to dwell just a bit more on one of historical mythology's most prominent sorcerors.

Especially, as you pointed out, in light of the Excalibur reference in POaD.

Argh! You make me miss running ShadowRun! Maybe after my EarthDawn Campaign finally wraps... *patience*

--PenAgain
I should probably talk less to myself. I'll work on that.
Rajaat99
Good Job AH, as always. I love your site.
Valentinew
Another theory put forth is tha Ambrose is Merlin Ambrosius, and the child was King Arthur. This is especially interesting as Laughing Man inherited the sword Exaclibur in 2057.

Couple of typos here - add "t" to "that" in front of "Ambrose"
Excalibur is misspelled

Very cool stuff!!!
Ancient History
One nation under ogd. D'oh!
fistandantilus4.0
I think that the other interpretation of JackBNimble being from 'another world' as in the 4th world would make things very interesting. No idea how it would be (although you could pull up Leonardo again) but interesting.

AH, I really like the synposious of the ED Lost novels. I've been wanting to get those for a long time, but once they came out, it was always one of those things that you only remember when you don't have money. So thanks for that.

Still begging for a horror rundown like the dragons one, but I'll be grateful for what we've got. biggrin.gif
Mister Juan

What I'm pointing out is in the Annotated "Things to Come".

I don't know if it matters (probably doesn't) but the correct french proverb (it actually exists, it wasn't invented for SR wink.gif) is: "Plus ça change, plus c'est pareil".

It doesn't do much, but I thought I should point it out.
Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I think that the other interpretation of JackBNimble being from 'another world' as in the 4th world would make things very interesting. No idea how it would be (although you could pull up Leonardo again) but interesting.

Was Leonardo around at the 4th age? (Hopefully not)
Ancient History
Sorta, kinda, yeah. See his entry in Immortals.
Grinder
QUOTE (Ancient Files)
During the Age of Legend, an eccentric elf named Leonarus lived in a crystal house developing magical theories based on light.

Where's that information from?
Ancient History
Well, you could do a word search on the same page, but it was in the Sky Point & Vivane boxed set.
Grinder
I feel so stupid right now.... Thank you for your help (it's early in the morning here wink.gif ).

note to myself: read the books again. Soon.
fistandantilus4.0
note to self: get the Sky Point & Vivane boxed set.
Grinder
biggrin.gif

It's worth the money, even though BaW changes everything. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Prelude to War is one of my favorite modules. Just thought I'd share that. smile.gif
Grinder
PtW is great, one of the best campaigns I ever played. BaW is dull compared to it, especially since the guys at LRG made some major changes and wrote it up poorly. But the main parts are in it and make for a good epic campaign, even though it's railroading as hell. War leads to railroading wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Maybe we shoudl try to talk AH into wrting up somethign about the rise and fall of various cities in the 4th age. Doens't really cross over so well, but it would still be interesting to see what he can do with it.

AH, you weren't planning on having a life, were you? You're needed to much here!
Ancient History
Life? I have a life outside of school and freelancing? Was there a memo involved in this?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Ancient Files)
During the Age of Legend, an eccentric elf named Leonarus lived in a crystal house developing magical theories based on light.

Where's that information from?

ok now that just gets my neckhair to stand on end.

a elf in the 4th world trys to develop magic based on light. leonardo shows up and sells renraku deck designs. and all computing is done opticaly in SR...
Grinder
It's cheesy, no question. But you can ignore it easily (I did so).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012