Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick! I need a Theatre!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
phasmaphobic
I need an Arthouse theatre. preferrably film but stage will also do, in Seattle, that exists today in 2006, and if possible, would be in the Barrens.

Any ideas? Google isn't helping, sadly
stevebugge
Try this http://www.villagetheatre.org/
Bodak
QUOTE (phasmaphobic)
I need an Arthouse theatre. preferrably film but stage will also do,

If it showed films, wouldn't that make it a cinema? I thought all theatres have acts on stages.
Aku
no, i think it's more regional, i know i talk about going to the theater, but generally, i say movie theater, rather than just theater.... i dont ever say i'm going to the cinema...
Witness
For example, the world famous Mann's Chinese Theater.
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (Bodak)
QUOTE (phasmaphobic)
I need an Arthouse theatre. preferrably film but stage will also do,

If it showed films, wouldn't that make it a cinema? I thought all theatres have acts on stages.

I've called them "movie theatres" all my life. Additionally, just about every search engine I've ever used does the same.

However, if you are subtly suggesting that I use the word "cinema" in my google searches, then I think you, because that one slipped my mind. Sweet.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
stevebugge
QUOTE (Aku @ May 16 2006, 10:09 AM)
no, i think it's more regional, i know i talk about going to the theater, but generally, i say movie theater, rather than just theater.... i dont ever say i'm going to the cinema...

Language is very regional. Working in the shipping industry I talk to people from all over and you can tell a great deal about where someone lives by how they speak, both accents and the words used.

For example in Seattle where I live if you are going to watch a movie you would say you are going to the movies, maybe to a movie theater, defintely not to the cinema. Going to the theater here usually refers to plays or musicals, going to see the opera would be referred to as going to the opera.

Some more Northwest Wackiness

[ Spoiler ]
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (stevebugge)

Language is very regional. Working in the shipping industry I talk to people from all over and you can tell a great deal about where someone lives by how they speak, both accents and the words used.

For example in Seattle where I live if you are going to watch a movie you would say you are going to the movies, maybe to a movie theater, defintely not to the cinema. Going to the theater here usually refers to plays or musicals, going to see the opera would be referred to as going to the opera.

[ Spoiler ]

I'm up here in Portland, but hardly ever get to Seattle anymore. I'm trying to run an entire campaign around the adventures of a group of slummers who hang out at an old arthouse film theatre. Specifically, I need one in Redmond, preferrably near the Touristville section. Village Theatre might work if I just modify it to show movies now as well. Where would it lie in the Barrens?
stevebugge
When looking for specific locations in a city I would suggest not using Google. Google is good for finding websites and information, but it really sucks for making dinner reservations or finding attractions. Use Citysearch or something along those lines, you'll have much better luck.
stevebugge
QUOTE (phasmaphobic @ May 16 2006, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ May 16 2006, 10:43 AM)

[ Spoiler ]

I'm up here in Portland, but hardly ever get to Seattle anymore. I'm trying to run an entire campaign around the adventures of a group of slummers who hang out at an old arthouse film theatre. Specifically, I need one in Redmond, preferrably near the Touristville section. Village Theatre might work if I just modify it to show movies now as well. Where would it lie in the Barrens?

It's in Issaquah, I think the address was 303 front street. That is not touristville, it's down on the southern border along I-90

EDIT actual address 303 Front Street North, Issaquah, WA 98027
Witness
EDIT: scratched. Google Maps lied about the location. Tsk!
stevebugge
Edit: You caugh it already
phasmaphobic
Looks like the arthouse scene around redmond is fairly lacking. Ah well. Guess I'll have to make something up =)
Daddy's Little Ninja
If your players are so uptight that they check records for the 20th century land development instead of accepting what you tell them, they need to loosen up!
Bodak
QUOTE (Aku)

Wow really? I have never heard people say "movie-theatre". Either you are going to the movies/cinema, or you are going to the theatre. That's the case in Australia and the UK and when I have travelled in Europe and talked with people there in English. It certainly makes sense to call it a theatre, since the word means "place for viewing". I suppose our histrionic usage comes from its close association with "theatrical" and "theatrics" which are certainly to do with acting and performance.
Prospero
I think there's a movie theater in or right around the Redmond Town Center - its a shopping area that would be right around the middle of touristville. I live in Issaquah, actually really close to the Village Theater, and go up there to go to Redmond Town Center to Borders every so often (and hit the Mac&Jack's Brewery, which is nearby).

Scratch that - looks like there's an older mulitplex right near 202 and 908, the Bella Botega 11, that might work for you. Like I said, it's a multiplex, but its a little older, looks like it dabbles in idie stuff a little, and might work. Just a thought.
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
If your players are so uptight that they check records for the 20th century land development instead of accepting what you tell them, they need to loosen up!

Whoah there, Wilbur!

Who said anything about my players being uptight? I'm curious how you found the data supporting this instant negative assumption about my players. I'll have you know, my desire to base the theater off a real one is entirely due to my desire to have as many correlations to real people and places as possible.
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (Prospero)
I think there's a movie theater in or right around the Redmond Town Center - its a shopping area that would be right around the middle of touristville. I live in Issaquah, actually really close to the Village Theater, and go up there to go to Redmond Town Center to Borders every so often (and hit the Mac&Jack's Brewery, which is nearby).

Scratch that - looks like there's an older mulitplex right near 202 and 908, the Bella Botega 11, that might work for you. Like I said, it's a multiplex, but its a little older, looks like it dabbles in idie stuff a little, and might work. Just a thought.

I noticed the Bella Botega in my searches, but I can't find any images of it. I'm assuming it has 11 viewing theaters. I noticed it had a lot of fairly popular movies, but occasional art films as well. It just might work. Finding a picture of it would, of course, be capital - and a floorplan would be pants-changingly delicious.

Heh.

I suppose I can have it so that now (2070) most of the rooms are converted and rented out as storage, living, or whatever, with only one or two theaters being kept in working condition and used for their original purposes.

Actually, that works better than expected...

Any locals know floorplans?
Daddy's Little Ninja
In the US we say we are gonig to the movies or movie threatre. Just 'theatre' means stage.
My husband is English. I think he says 'cinema' just to annoy me.
Roadspike
As a native Northwesterner as well as someone whose parents own a place that shows movies and has a stage for live shows, I feel the need to weigh in on the theatre/theater/cinema debate (and I might even add in something on-topic). I generally think of a place that shows movies as a movie theater, while a place that hosts live shows is a theatre (the fact that some small arthouses like the Clyde Theatre (www.theclyde.net) spell it "re" instead of "er" not-withstanding). Cinema is what you call a particular movie that is technically exceptional (has good cinematography, is well-paced, etc) and is a step (or five) above the standard summer blockbuster. Isn't language interesting?

As for actually weighing in on the topic at hand, the Bella Botega (from what I recall) currently has a broad marquee with the slot-in letters (like gas station numbers) advertising the current movies, with bright lights framing the marquee. It sits in a strip mall that surrounds a large parking lot. Inside, it looks pretty much like your standard multiplex.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012