Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Year of the Comet: So What?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Voran
Could someone tell me what happened with the events brought up in year of the comet? I have that book, but not the stuff that came after "Wake of the comet". Search function didn't seem to help me in this case.

Probe Race: So what? Who won? what did they/if anyone find? Lesbian Vulcan slavegirls? Galactic snotball? Did getting to the comet have any real in-game effects?

Shedim: What happened? I know they were introduced in Year of the Comet, but so what? smile.gif Did it turn out to be a extraplanar plot? Fallout just from GW breaking through the rift? Did it have any real resolution?

Japanese Kid emperor. He a god? An adept? A shedim that inhabited the body of the kid that was actually killed in the volcano eruption?

Oricalchum race. Did it go poof after comet passed? Or remains viable? Any word on the other super-race minerals that were found? Any effects?
Kanada Ten
Officially, Ares won the Probe Race. Wake of the Comet is a series of three adventures dealing with the race at various points. [e] SotA:64 mentions the winner of the race.

Shedim became even more sinister after the appearance of Master Shedim, but have largely been "dealt" with (aka, left to GMs to decide where best to put them).

Japanese Emperor has an ancestor spirit guiding him, but seems human otherwise. His wife is a hot otaku, as well. [e] And Japan is entering a new Era, as is tradition - the new palace is in Tokyo. He's got some pull with fingers in Shaiwase and Yamatetsu, but it's a fight everyday.

Oricalchum went poof.
hyzmarca
His wife is a hot ex-vampire ex-shadowrunner dissonant otaku megacorp heiress, to be more specific.
HMHVV Hunter
Ex-vampire? AND she's a Deus pawn?
Kanada Ten
ex-vampire ex-shadowrunner dissonant otaku megacorp heiress

Like I said: hot.
Ancient History
She was a ganger chick too. An MIT ganger chick.
Wounded Ronin
Oh dear god. This is precisely why I started to ignore the metaplot after SR2. Really.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Ex-vampire? AND she's a Deus pawn?

Daddy Shiawase was working on a cure for HMHVV and let a vampire infect her as part of the experiment. Apparently, it worked.

And no, she isn't a Deus pawn. She was friendly with Mirage and I believe that Deus threatned her, among others, to force Mirage to back off his efforts to free the Network.
Dog
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
His wife is a hot ex-vampire ex-shadowrunner dissonant otaku megacorp heiress, to be more specific.

Sounds like some of the character descriptions I've read on this forum. nyahnyah.gif
HMHVV Hunter
So no more vampires?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 16 2006, 09:57 PM)
Oh dear god.  This is precisely why I started to ignore the metaplot after SR2.  Really.

I'm pretty sure this /was/ SR2 metaplot.

So no more vampires?

The drug hasn't appeared on the market, if that's what you're asking.
hyzmarca
Nope. There are still plenty of vampires. The treatment was never made public for some reason. I don't know why. I never read that book. I just know what I've heard from others.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 16 2006, 09:57 PM)
Oh dear god.  This is precisely why I started to ignore the metaplot after SR2.  Really.

I'm pretty sure this /was/ SR2 metaplot.

So no more vampires?

The drug hasn't appeared on the market, if that's what you're asking.

Dude, the Year of the Comet events did not take place during 2nd edition.
Kanada Ten
OK then, but it wasn't ever so obvious that you meant YotC.

The treatment was never made public for some reason.

I'm thinking something from SoA just clicked into place.
Ancient History
The, ah, mortality test hasn't been taken yet.
Lindt
*blink blink* where was all this about the Emperers new girl? How did I miss all that crazy?
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Lindt)
*blink blink* where was all this about the Emperers new girl? How did I miss all that crazy?

Apparently nyahnyah.gif

But yeah, the Shiawase CEO betrothed his daughter to the Emperor in an attempt to make nice with the royal family following the blunder that led to them NOT DETECTING THE WHOLE FRAGGING RING OF FIRE GOING UP (and the Emperor's family dying as a result)
Synner
Hitomi Storyline:
Psychotrope - novel
YotC
SotA64
Shadows of Asia
System Failure

Emperor Storyline:
YotC
SotA64
Loose Alliances
SoA

Probe Race Storyline:
YotC
Wake of the Comet
SotA64

Shedim
YotC
Threats 2

Ibn Eisn (Shedim storyline)
YotC
SotA64
Loose Alliances
SoA
System Failure

Orichalcum Rush
YotC
SotA63
SotA64
SoA
fistandantilus4.0
wow Synner, I'm guessing you're either feeling very generous, or very bored right now. biggrin.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Dog)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ May 17 2006, 02:28 AM)

Sounds like some of the character descriptions I've read on this forum. nyahnyah.gif

I'm missing albino ninja lesbian shapeshifter...
Witness
QUOTE (Synner)
Probe Race Storyline:
YotC
Wake of the Comet
SotA64

I've only got the first of these, but in the others are there any hints at all about what Ares actually found on the comet? (Or indeed, what they might have been so desperately looking for?)
ShadowDragon8685
If you're the DM, you can say what they found on the comment. But IIRC canoniacally, they found Orichilum.
fistandantilus4.0
so cliche'. couldn't they have found something more interesting. like a reply from the first satellite that was launched way back in the 70's with a CD with our arts and history on it (forget it's name, but it was in Star Trek and X-files). Something along the lines of "wow, you're 'music' sucks. That Napolean guy wasn't so bad though."
Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
That Napolean guy wasn't so bad though."

Grrr....
fistandantilus4.0
hehehehe biggrin.gif

Wassa matta Grinder? You're not a little guy with a small-man complex too are ya'?
grinbig.gif
Grinder
No way. I'm a tall guy who dislikes Napoleons conquering of Germany.
biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
sore loser. biggrin.gif That;s ok, I'm the tall blond guy that always seems to have short bosses that like to take out their frustations on me. Stopped since I grew a beard though. hmmm..... maybe if more Germans had beards.

Now how can we bring this back on topic to YoTC? .....

In one game, we had some dwarf twins. Except one was a troll. he'd SURGED in to a troll when the comet came. Hi-lar-i-ous.
MYST1C
the first satellite that was launched way back in the 70's with a CD with our arts and history on it (forget it's name, but it was in Star Trek and X-files).
Lindt
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Shadows of Asia. Do a search for Hitomi Shiawase on the forums.

Ah ha! Its because I never got my sweaty palms on a copy of SoA. I ended up with SoE insted. Ill go hit the FLGS, see if I can pick it up.
Lindt
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Dog @ May 17 2006, 04:01 AM)

Im not sure Hyzmarca can talk too much about that... Albino night one with a tail? Need I go on? rotfl.gif
Kyoto Kid

When YOTC entered our campaigns, I was still playing Leela. Thank heaven's she had several essence worth of implants which significantly reduced the chance for her becoming a changling. Any of the negative changes and her career would have ended for good since she was basically built around the "Rocker" (albeit Euro Classical) concept from Shadowbeat.

Actually, none of my characters experienced mutation which was fine by me, although the Troll Mage in our groip sported red eyes, purple fur, and extended claws. Man, talk about messing with your stealth tests.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Something just occured to me about the whole Emperor line. It was an ancient tradition in Japan that each Emperor got a new Palace. The idea was the old palace was unclean, and would be torn down.

You could be looking at a symbolic recreatino of that with the current SR Emperor. He is tearing down a lot of what went into 21st century Japan in SR to make it into what he wants.
Grinder
QUOTE (Lindt)
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 17 2006, 06:21 AM)

Im not sure Hyzmarca can talk too much about that... Albino night one with a tail? Need I go on? rotfl.gif

Oh yes, please! rotfl.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Oh dear god. This is precisely why I started to ignore the metaplot after SR2. Really.

Most of the Hitomi insanity was your typical "novel author went batshit crazy" metaplot.
SL James
The Comet Race of 2061 was definitely more interesting than the one in 1986. OTOH, probes from 1986 actually reached the comet and made it back.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Lindt)
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 17 2006, 06:21 AM)

Sam's also a scaled incestuous lesbian with gills but she isn't isn't a ninja, she isn't a shapeshifter and she isn't Empress of Japan.

It isn't my fault that canon supports and encourages over-the-top characters. Embrace the insanity. Make a down-on-his luck Drake megacorp VIP running from Lowfyr as next PC.
Fix-it
so cliche'. couldn't they have found something more interesting. like a reply from the first satellite that was launched way back in the 70's with a CD with our arts and history on it (forget it's name, but it was in Star Trek and X-files). Something along the lines of "wow, you're 'music' sucks. That Napolean guy wasn't so bad though."

that breaks one of the major rules of shadowrun, however. NO ALIENS IN CANNON.
fistandantilus4.0
yet

M¥$T1C: thanks, I was thinking Voyager, but that damned Startrek thing was throwing me off.
Valentinew
V'Ger must evolve....
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
Something just occured to me about the whole Emperor line. It was an ancient tradition in Japan that each Emperor got a new Palace. The idea was the old palace was unclean, and would be torn down.

You could be looking at a symbolic recreatino of that with the current SR Emperor. He is tearing down a lot of what went into 21st century Japan in SR to make it into what he wants.

I suspect almost no one here,including the writers of SoA, has your point of view dear.
Kanada Ten
I think that's almost explicit in the SoA chapter where they discuss the new palace and the new Era.
Synner
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
I suspect almost no one here,including the writers of SoA, has your point of view dear.

Actually, Fox, that's an erroneous assumption. It was not only in SoA but it was seeded before...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012