Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Called Shots
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wonazer
I do not remember where I got it from, but I read somewhere that they make the person calling the shot apply +1 to their TN for every -1 they want to lower their targets armor rating, thereby bypassing it and hitting a specific part of the target.

How does that sound to you? Do you use something that works better? Opinions please!

Kurb
SR3 book states if you call a shot its a +4 TN (Free Action), then either a) The Damage Code is increased by one level (L->M, M->S, S->D) OR you may hit a specific sub-target on something vehicle-sized or larger (such as a window or tire) then normal damage rules apply for that specific part of the vehicle. (Player and GM must agree)

SR3 pg. 114 if you need to verify

Now some people have said that you can call a shot, and then with the GM's approval, you can hit a specific target on the body where they lack armor. Which they would have a Damage Risistance test at that full power of the weapon. This is a house rule.
ialdabaoth
Now some people have said that you can call a shot, and then with the GM's approval, you can hit a specific target on the body where they lack armor. Which they would have a Damage Risistance test at that full power of the weapon. This is a house rule.

This rule is actually mentioned as an option in Cannon Companion and Man and Machine, I believe.
Wonazer
I understand the official rule, but it seems like a waste of time.

Rating 6 Pistols + Smartlink (Heavy Pistol 9M)
6 Dice = Rolls: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
TN 4 + (-2 Smartlink) + 4 Called Shot (Official) = 6
1 Success at a Damage Rating S
Targets stages down a rating 9 - Ballistic

Same skill, rolls...
TN 4 + (-2 SMartlink) = 2
5 Successes Staging the damage up to D

Please show me a situation where the called shot rule from SR3 makes sense, please. My characters use pistols so much that I would see this situation all the time.

Even looking at the situation with the option I stated in my first post now looks silly. You balance making less successes with the chance that your target may make less successes as well. I think I would rather make more successes if I have to gamble like that. OF course, I am positive someone here will show me what I am missing. If fact, I am counting on it. That's what I love about this forum! =)

As for the house rule that Kurb noted, that seems to make the most sense to me but still seems unbalanced.

TN 4 + (-2 Smartlink) + 4 Called = 6
One Success at a damage rating M
Targets stages down a rating 9, no armor allowed.

I have a better chance of staging my damage up by NOT taking a called shot. So, if I have a better chance of MORE damage, WHY would I attempt a called shot?

This is all not taking into account the Take Aim action. Theoretically, I could Take Aim to reduce my TN by 3 (1/2 of my Pistol Skill).

(Official Called Shot)
TN 4 + (-2 Smartlink) + 4 Called Shot (Official) + (-3 Take Aim)= 3
4 Successes at a Damage Rating D

(Normal)
Same skill, rolls...
TN 4 + (-2 SMartlink) + (-1 Take Aim) = 1
6 Successes Staging the damage up to 1 Box of Overflow

(Kurb's House Rule)
TN 4 + (-2 Smartlink) + 4 Called (-3 Take Aim) = 3
4 Successes at a damage rating D
Targets stages down a rating 9, no armor allowed.

I STILL do more damage taking a normal shot. So, now I ask you guys. What am I missing?
Okay one normal 1 always fails so you have an incorrect number of successes. Which mean you only staged to D.

Now let's say that the opponent is a Aztlan Security Corporation Juguar Guard. Well he has hardened armor at 12 ballistic.

He was dealt no damage, he doesn't have to worry about successes you did not even put a light wound on him.

Now what if you had done a called shot and had the armor gone. Oh less successes but you actually hurt the freaken slotter.

Does that explain it? I hope it does, it is not an every shot approach, but sometimes to take out an opponent you have to go for an open area.
Wonazer
Okay one normal 1 always fails so you have an incorrect number of successes. Which mean you only staged to D.

Ok, you got me there. I was lost in my numbers.. =)

I have not thrown my characters against anything 'hardened' yet. Haven't even considered it. Hmm... That's what I have been missing. Next game I throw something a little 'thicker' at them and see how they handle it. =)

Thank you!
Kurb
(Official Called Shot)
TN 4 + (-2 Smartlink) + 4 Called Shot (Official) + (-3 Take Aim)= 3
4 Successes at a Damage Rating D

(Normal)
Same skill, rolls...
TN 4 + (-2 SMartlink) + (-1 Take Aim) = 1
6 Successes Staging the damage up to 1 Box of Overflow

(Kurb's House Rule)
TN 4 + (-2 Smartlink) + 4 Called (-3 Take Aim) = 3
4 Successes at a damage rating D
Targets stages down a rating 9, no armor allowed

Your math is a little off here.
Offical Called Shot would be 1 Box of Overflow (Enemy TN 5, needs 8 successes to not die)
Normal Shot would be Deadly and only 5 successes b/c no TN can be lower then 2 (Enemy TN 5, needs 7 successes to not die)
Alternate Called Shot (I guess it is in CC and M&M) would be Deadly (Enemy TN 9, needs 6 successes to not die)

So think about what would work better for you. The way I can see it, the Offical Called Shot and the Alternate Called Shot would inflict more damage.
Kagetenshi
Called shots are beautiful things when someone with a very low skill needs to take someone out quickly. Last called shot I saw was an untrained corpsuit type with a taser (well, not totally untrained; 1(3) in tasers(his specific taser)), did a called shot, got two successes, one of which was dodged. Nothing got soaked, and the decently combatish guy he was facing fell flat on his face with Deadly stun.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012