Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skates, Skateboards & Athletics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyoto Kid
...during a recent session , the question came up concerning recreational sports (namely inline skating and skateboarding) when I mentioned that KK4.1 frequently used inline skates to get around town.

My contention is that it would fall under the Athletics skill group since it is still muscle based instead of mechanically powered. This generated some debate as to whether skating, (and other recreational sports) would be an "Artisan" skill, vehicular skill, or an entirely unique skill of it's own.

For inline skating (and skateboarding) I see it as a subset of Running (when just using it for flat out movement) and Gymnastics (if attempting extreme tricks).

Comments...?
smokin.gif
Squinky
I am inclined to agree with you.
mfb
that's what it was in SR3. Athletics covers basically every jump-around-and-do-stuff activity.
Glayvin34
Yeah. Even now Skatingboarding and certainly inline skating are becoming sports that athletes do, when 20 years ago skateboards were on the fringe of society and rollerskates were toys.

You'd have to assume a futuristic skateboard, because skating nowadays is certainly an exotic skill. You have to falldown a lot before you get it. But with Anti-Grav technology and smart suspension and all that good stuff it should be easy. Inline skates in 2070 are likely similiar to now, but more robust. I'd say Jogging/Sprinting rules but you go Strength x 2 faster and start multiply the time you can go without fatigue by 2 or something.
mfb
i put together some "electroblades" for SR3. skating powers up a generator in the heel, which, when flipped on, spins the wheels and leaves a cool-looking trail of sparks. takes three rounds of skating to power back up. in SR3, you could get movement rate x4 on skates; i decided that, for the three rounds that the electroblades kick in for, you get x10.
Protagonist
QUOTE (Glayvin34)

You'd have to assume a futuristic skateboard, because skating nowadays is certainly an exotic skill. You have to falldown a lot before you get it. But with Anti-Grav technology and smart suspension and all that good stuff it should be easy.

Another skateboard that is amazingly awesome are the skateboards from the book Snow Crash; I imagine that they'd probably be cheaper than anti-grav technology for the average kid.

Basically they have "smart wheels." They can go over any sort of terrain with minimal loss of speed do to each wheel being composed of hundreds of computer controlled "spokes" that match the enviroment that they're on to essentially create a perfectly smooth surface to roll on no matter where they are. I image that they'd help you balance as well.
mfb
those are great.
jklst14
QUOTE (Protagonist)

Another skateboard that is amazingly awesome are the skateboards from the book Snow Crash; I imagine that they'd probably be cheaper than anti-grav technology for the average kid.

Basically they have "smart wheels." They can go over any sort of terrain with minimal loss of speed do to each wheel being composed of hundreds of computer controlled "spokes" that match the enviroment that they're on to essentially create a perfectly smooth surface to roll on no matter where they are. I image that they'd help you balance as well.

One of the old Plastic Warriors supplements had rules for Snow Crash style skateboards but I forget which one.

http://plastic.dumpshock.com/
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Protagonist)

Yeah, I didn't want to bite on Stevenson too hard so I just said "smart suspension". But homegirl definitely had the coolest way to get around the sprawl ever- with the magnetic harpoon for latching on to minivans n' drek. And the high-frequency sonic blast mounted in the front truck.
Kyoto Kid
..looks as if I have my concensus. Thanks.

Gotta get a Smartwheel board for KK,

maybe some o' those Electoblades too.

[Damn I miss the old Distinctive Style flaw]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012