Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recipes Wanted
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aaron
It's my turn to bring snacks to the Shadowrun game, and I thought it'd be fun to bring stuff our characters would be eating. So, I'm looking for recipes and sources for basically anything soy, be they chips, burgers, or what-have-you. Soykaf. You know the sort of thing. I did a search, but only turned up swordfish balls and an odd-looking drink called the Dunkelzahn Car Bomb.

Anybody?
James McMurray
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=soy+recipes

My dad is a vegetarian and he used to make spaghetti with textured soy protein instead of meat. It tasted exactly like normal spaghetti to my teenage palette.
Fix-it
you can get frozen soybeans in the frozen-veggies section. boil them with a little salt. quite good actually. not too messy (just have a second bowl for the spent pods)
and good for ya.
fistandantilus4.0
maybe it's only my character, or me, or both, but pizza soup is a favorite. Just throw a bunch of pepperoni, shredded mozarella, and tomato sauce into a bowl, microwave, and dig in. Good stuff.
FanGirl
This book is a great source of vegetarian and vegan recipes containing all kinds of ingredients. I highly recommend the lentil soup, but only if you use fire-roasted tomatoes: it's just not as good with the regular kind.

One thing that might be popular in SR, considering the prevalence of both soy-based food and Japanese culture, is miso soup. I understand that it's a very common dish in Japan, even at breakfast time.
fistandantilus4.0
If you really want to go hardcore street level, just give everyone Top Ramin noodles and Tomato soup made form the kettchup packets at McDonalds, mixed with water. Them's good eatin'.

Also handy if you're a broke college kid and can't afford mac & cheese, like I used to be. I can afford the Mac&cheese now. yay!
mfb
my neighbors are living on fake tomato soup. wow. i thought it was unique to them. *shudder*
emo samurai
Dude... so ironically, corporatization will make a lot of people vegans! Whoda thunk?
BrianL03
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
maybe it's only my character, or me, or both, but pizza soup is a favorite. Just throw a bunch of pepperoni, shredded mozarella, and tomato sauce into a bowl, microwave, and dig in. Good stuff.

For some reason, that sounds surprisingly good. I might just have to try that. I have an entire container of tomato sauce that'll otherwise not get used...
fistandantilus4.0
he, I wish. There was one period (well a week isn't really a period I guess) where I was living off of just oatmeal. Wasn't even my oatmeal. It was the oatmeal in the kitchen at my work. No sugar even. Oh the humanity! I started my oatmeal diet on a Monday, and ended it on a Friday. Nothing but oatmeal, three times a day. Same , generic, quacker oats oatmeal. By Thursday I nearly vomited the stuff up on the first bite. Thank God I was paid weekly!

So yeah, think twice before you say you want to eat like your characters. Or at least consider their lifestyle now. Inicdentally, I'm feeling much better now. Haven't had oatmeal since then though.

emo: just mix it all in in a regular soup bowl (preferbly a deep one) and nuke it just long enough for the cheese to start to melt. So damn good , it's scary.
ChuckRozool

The Jerk came to mind when I read this.

"Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business. People come from all over to eat this."
Kanada Ten
I think he wants more... authentic Shadowrun dishes.

Like Wunderbar, Bee Burger, Taéngele; and the elven classic: sorrel, rose hips, dock leaves and dandelions...

I suggest Quorn Nuggets (mycoprotien formed into chicken nuggets ) as a great mimic product for SR.
Cain
If you want stuff that's actually edible, then Morningstar farms isn't a half-bad way to go. Your local supermarket should have a section on meatless/vegan imitations hidden away in the frozen section somewhere.

If you're running a more survival-based game, and you've got some cash to spare, try going here for a really unique set of treats. A skinned rabbit on the spit can easily stand in as a prop for a fat squirrel or a large rodent, and is actually decent-tasting to boot.
Aaron
QUOTE (Fix-it)
you can get frozen soybeans in the frozen-veggies section. boil them with a little salt. quite good actually. not too messy (just have a second bowl for the spent pods)
and good for ya.

Edamame? Yeah, that's good stuff.
Aaron
QUOTE (FanGirl)
One thing that might be popular in SR, considering the prevalence of both soy-based food and Japanese culture, is miso soup. I understand that it's a very common dish in Japan, even at breakfast time.

Hm, good point. The Japanese don't really make distinctions for what food if for what meal. I'm not serving miso, though; I can't get over the fact that it smells like wet dog (even if it doesn't taste like it).
Aaron
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Like Wunderbar, Bee Burger, Taéngele; and the elven classic: sorrel, rose hips, dock leaves and dandelions...

Exactly.

I was thinking of just getting a bunch of McDonalds burgers, which, as far as I can tell, have a soy filler (I know their website says it's 100% beef, but they used to say that their fries were cooked in vegetable oil). I like the edamame idea, and the miso, too. I was thinking to see if anybody sold soy chips. The soy burger doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

I think I have a recipe for Taéngele around here somewhere.
stevebugge
Look for a product called Textured Vegetable Protien in your grocery store, it's sometimes near the flour or sometimes in a healthy/natural foods section. It has a lot of suggested uses on the packaging, most involve meat replacement.
Birdy
Since Demolition Man (hmmm, Sandra Bullock in tight Spandex) had a re-run recently:

Lenina Huxley: [Spartan encounters a burger grill in the underground world] Just don't ask them where the meat comes from.
John Spartan: Huxley, what's that supposed to mean?
Lenina Huxley: Do you see any cows around here, detective?
John Spartan: Que es este carne?
[What is this meat?]
Underground Vendor: Este carne es de rata.
[This meat is from rats]
John Spartan: Rat? This is a rat burger?
[vendor nods]
John Spartan: Not bad! Matter of fact this is the best burger I've had in years! Prego. See ya later.

So I'd assume those not degenerated to the level of Veganism will eat common animals. Like Rats, some Toy-Dogs, Cat's etc. Easy to keep and feed (They eat almost anything)

And then there is one source of meat that is not scarce at all: Long Pork ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_pork ) Depending on your taste, you may want to add some Charlton Heston or Edward J. Robinson. Guess more than a few persons will end up there. And not just with Gus Ghoule.
nezumi
Blocks of tofu with ketchup, lemon pepper or chocolate syrup for the 'in the slums' feel. Or an MRE, if you can get 'em. hufu for the ghoul in the group. Otherwise boca burgers or any sort of soy reproductions of real food would be agreeable (soy turkey especially could get the feeling across).

Really, I don't imagine most SR food is prepared in the home, it's already flavoured, cooked and seasoned before you open the plastic. You jsut add ketchup and salt to flavour.
Tiger Eyes
Ah... someone mentioned TVP (texturized veg protein). This, to me, screams lower-middle class SR. And here is a nice recipe using it... (ahem). Sure to please those meat-lovin' men at a SR game session... Also, you can use TVP to substitute for any ground meat - just rehydrate it in a meat-flavored broth (chicken bouillion, beef bouillion, etc, etc). So you could just buy a box of hamburger helper and use rehydrated TVP instead.

Again, this is a lower-middle class recipe... Probably using canned and/or frozen veggies...

Meatless Shepherd's Pie

Serves 6

1 cup TVP granules
1/4 cup broth powder (or beef flavored bullion, I suppose)
2 1/2 cups hot water, divided
1/2 cup onion, diced (substitute dehydrated onion for realism)
1 carrot, diced
1 celery rib, diced
3 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (dried herbs)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or use the fake kraft stuff)
3 cups mashed potatos (use the dehydrated box kind, for realism)

In mixing bowl, combine TVP, broth powder, 2 cups water, onion, carrot, and celery. Let rest for 15 minutes. Mmm... looks yummy now! wink.gif

Transfer to large skillet and turn on low heat. In small bowl, combine the flour, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup water, and seasonings. Mix into paste and add to TVP mixture. Simmer until it thickens, stirring constantly.

Spread the mixture evenly in a greased 2 qt baking dish.

In separate bowl, combine the cheese with the mashed potatos and mix well. Spread over TVP mixture.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until the potatos are golden brown.
Tiger Eyes
Also, here's an easy snack...

1 lb firm tofu, cut into 1 inch chunks.
Bread crumbs.

Roll chunks in crumbs, lay on microwave safe plate. Heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Season and eat...

Mmmmm! Tofu Nuggets! spin.gif
nezumi
As an aside, it's worth mentioning there are in fact different grades of tofu. Not all tofus are created equal. If you are looking for a quality meal, there is some very fine tofu you can get which, when properly prepared, barely tastes different from meat at all. there are also blocks of cheap tofu which have a bit more of an SR feel to them, and taste vaguely like sock.
Wiz In Red
All I know is I put what I thought was a cheese cube from a party tray in my mouth...when I started chewing it I thought I was going to be ill. I've sworn off tofu! Bring on the red, bloody meat...knock off the horns, wipe its @ss and put it on a plate!
Ancient History
Ah, found it:

Taéngele
1 part mead
1 part ouzo
1 part tonic water

It's a bit of an acquired taste, but it really can't be beat for special effects when showing off. Best for sipping, served chilled or on the rocks. If you really can't stand tonic water, you can use regular water to thin out the mix (but then it won't glow under a blacklight).
Wounded Ronin
he, I wish. There was one period (well a week isn't really a period I guess) where I was living off of just oatmeal. Wasn't even my oatmeal. It was the oatmeal in the kitchen at my work. No sugar even. Oh the humanity! I started my oatmeal diet on a Monday, and ended it on a Friday. Nothing but oatmeal, three times a day. Same , generic, quacker oats oatmeal. By Thursday I nearly vomited the stuff up on the first bite. Thank God I was paid weekly!

You know, I actually prefer my oatmeal plain without seasoning. I eat oatmeal because it's a complex carb and thus I hate to screw it up with sweet flavorings that will just mess with my glucose levels, thus defeating the whole purpose of choosing oatmeal in the first place.

In terms of soy recepies why not just go for the classic chilled tofu with soyu and ginger? It's elegant, it's delicious, and it's a terrific traditional treat on a hot summer day.
Kagetenshi
Pah. The purpose of choosing oatmeal is because it will provide you with glucose later. The purpose of adding sweet things to it is so that they will provide you with glucose now. These purposes do not conflict with one another.

~J
Wounded Ronin
Glucose for now. Glucose for later. Join the Ar...uh I mean, eat oatmeal with honey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012