Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't email Randy Milholland
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
Oooh, nerve cluster.
stevebugge
QUOTE (emo samurai @ May 23 2006, 10:51 AM)

I also have to realize that many people's criticisms aren't really centered around logic; I guess I'll have to deal with that by being above their concerns about penis size.

Amusing use of the "If you don't agree with X you must be completely unrelated Y" rhetoric fallacy, nice.
emo samurai
No, I just have to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I'll still respond to 80% of responses. Just to clear things up.
stevebugge
I'll have to fix that, I was specifically refering to the argument structure of the last statement. I had a professor repeatedly call me on it my freshman year in college.
emo samurai
I get that; I was more referring to the fact that I can't convince some people with logic and they are just devoted to stalking me throughout my "whacked out ideas" threads.

You know, like Dranem.
Platinum
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Oooh, nerve cluster.

No nerves, just trying to find a way to stop the "verbal diarrhea" that continually flows out of your brain.

really ... just shut up.
emo samurai
Nice job on the maturity.
PenAgain
How many threads are currently in existence on Dumpshock with the sole purpose of dealing with Emo in some capacity?

I can't hate him. I don't ever post (well, hardly ever) because I care far more about testing the water than taking a swim. Emo makes the water... different. Very different than it was before he got here.

Ten times a day I have to log off because what I just read strikes a negative nerve. 8 times out of those 10, it's from Emo. That's... I don't know. His right, I suppose.

Just as it's my right to go find someplace else to talk ShadowRun where people can get along and self-aggrandizement can take a back seat to legitimate dialogue.

I wanted to say *something* before taking my leave this time, even if what I say has no effect on anything.

I was happier before the fighting. Of course, in one way or another there is NO *before the fighting*-- Emo is the newest iteration of the endless parade of DumpShock BadGuys.

Maybe the internet requires BadGuys to make these discussion forums function. It's a shame, however, that the BadGuys don't bring out the GoodGuys. They just bring out the AmbivalentGuys, the ApatheticGuys, and the CynicalGuys.

Am I a GoodGuy? Hardly. But I can accept that it takes the collective weight of the world's idiots to keep the world spinning on its axis.

I think it would be cool if the GoodGuys (I know you're out there- I've seen you) would rise to the challenge of countering junkthreads with quality threads... and maybe draw the aforementioned Ambivalent/Apathetic/CynicalGuys (and girls) into something more conducive to improving our mutual understanding of ShadowRun, and less conducive to finding out how many ways you can yell at one another before being booted or banned.

I'll get off my undeserved high horse now, before I say anything *else* to make me into a BadGuy.

--PenAgain
KarmaInferno
Dude, what was said about rising to the bait?

The more you post, emo, the more you do, in fact, sound like "Mike".

Dude, I'm sorry if it really hurts something you love to read my threads, but I never really pre-emptively attack anyone. It's always "Emo, your idea's not canon. Emo, I hate you. Emo rush kekekekeke." Even the e-mail was sent only after months of dealing with Critias and Dranem. My threads cause chaos because people go there to burn them down more than they go to actually discuss anyone on them.

In other words, DON'T LEAVE WE NEED PEOPLE WHO CARE PLZPLZPLZPLZ!! :.(... (Emo tears)
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (emo samurai)
My threads cause chaos because people go there to burn them down more than they do to actually discuss anyone on them.

There's a reason for this.

And it's really not due to the other posters.

I'm sure my posts about power armor are VERY offensive.
HMHVV Hunter
Which makes me wonder - what the HELL made you POSSIBLY think R.K. Milholland was Critias or Dranem?!
emo samurai
I didn't truly think that. I made a conspiracy joke about how Randy, the most self-describedly curmudgeonly Shadowrun player I know about, being a poster here would account for some of the anal retentiveness around Dumpshock. I don't even dislike him in the least; the fact I check in on his comic daily is a testament to that. Then I e-mailed him on a whim, because g-mail is really easy to access. I saw no harm in doing so, and really, when you think about it rationally, there still isn't any real harm.
HMHVV Hunter
So you can't fathom why your e-mail to someone you don't even know personally, accusing him of being two people he likely doesn't even know, was so poorly received?

ohplease.gif
emo samurai
It was a joke... I still think it's funny.
HMHVV Hunter
Would you take it as a joke if the same thing happened to you? Someone you don't even know accusing you of being someone on a board you've probably never visited?

Personally I'd think it'd be weird as hell. About the equivalent of a prank call.
Platinum
I think this is some kind of mental mastubation for Emo. He seems to feed off it because he thinks that are a pretty much powerless to stop him. He feels invulnerable, and that it is his right to aggitate and annoy people, because he thinks there are no reprocussions. Maybe in this scenario and maybe not, but hopefully, someone with the ability to deal with him, will either explain to him that his behaviour is not acceptable, or just stop him from posting. I have tried to not berrate him because I feel that his personality is not really strong enough to handle it, and he will eventually commit suicide as the places he visits slowly shun him in turn. A quick search will show a pattern and give strong clues as to why he acts like he does. I have moved from irritation to pity for that sad sad soul.
John Campbell
Hey, I have an idea! How about everybody stop feeding the attention whore (or being the attention whore, as the case may be) and talk about Shadowrun?
emo samurai
I'm touched. And I didn't even make a separate thread for this subject; it just happened.
HMHVV Hunter
Personally I can't wait to see the comic Milholland does about this whole thing. Inside jokes are always funnier when you're in on it, so I'm anxious to see what he does with this.
emo samurai
ME TOO!!!

And about my awesome idea threads, you could just ignore them or post seriously about them. I would definitely respond in kind if you did. Just trying to get this alien, alien concept out there.

Plus, e-mailing him was the only way to have any chance of knowing for sure.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Who is he? what did he write? Why would I want to bother him?
HMHVV Hunter
R.K. Milholland is the creator of the webcomic "Something Positive" (a very funny comic).

As for why emo wanted to bother him...I have no idea.
emo samurai
I did it mostly because I wanted to know for sure whether or not he posted here, and the other 20% of the reason was because I was feeling silly.
Wounded Ronin
WTF? This thread has got me totally confused.

In the first place, considering how acrimonious SP can get, I have no idea why the vaguely negative head hurt comment that Randy Milholland made is supposed to be negative at all. Hell, man, if I post at bullshido.net I'll take far worse flak just as a matter of course.

Second, what the hell is that email about? Why is it relevant? Why do we collectively care that Emo Samurai won't buy crap from the SP store or whatever? Am I missing something?
emo samurai
I don't know; people just hate me. They see a deliberately silly and incoherent e-mail and think of it as a sign that says "Warning, very flammable. I dare you."

As for the OP, he's a friend of Randy, so I guess he's entitled to start the thread. I am the focus of irrational hatred, so I'm entitled to respond. Pretty much everyone else is just a 'net go-ganger. Not counting the innocent bystanders. So for me, they have a "10 points" icon floating over their heads.
HMHVV Hunter
Oh sure emo, make this into a persecution complex. The whole world's out to get you. ohplease.gif

Now you really DO sound like Mike from S*P - blaming others for the consequences of his own stupid moves.
emo samurai
*Motivational speaker voice* I don't see this as an inquisition, I see this as an opportunity.

And to tell the truth, it's died down over there a LOT more than it has here. There is peace on the LiveJournal-trix.
Fire Hawk
|/me reads the entire thread out of curiousity|

...?!

Excuse me, I'm going to go lance my eyes out with a pearing knife, right after a self-inflicted cranial adjustment.

Oh, for the love of...
emo samurai
We should post warning signs.
Dranem
Lack of forthought is the reason why you ran out of feet to stick into your mouth long ago Emo. Seriously if you gave a smidgeon of thought over something before you crap it out all over the boards, you might gain a little more respect.

And as for logic, you are the last one to justify logic applied to thought.

Query: Have you ever been tested for Aspergers Syndrom?
Shrike30
Why does this thread even exist? Seriously, I don't see anything positive coming out of it at all. This is the kind of thing that's PM material, if anything.
Sean Bad
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Why does this thread even exist?  Seriously, I don't see anything positive coming out of it at all.  This is the kind of thing that's PM material, if anything.

Thank you. I was wondering when someone would say it.

I was under the impression that this was a Shadowrun board. I understand that threads will go off-topic, but why a thread that started off-topic (and, arguably, as a personal attack) hasn't been locked is beyond me. As for those posting: if you really want to ignore someone, participating in a thread that is solely about him isn't the best way to go about it.

Let's get another thing clear: save for creepy cults and penis pills, no one has ever been convinced of anything over the internet. Anyone trying to "talk sense" into Emo or convince him that he is some sort of nuisance and should mend his evil ways is wasting his time. At the end of the day, no matter your post count or your prestige, you are a faceless block of text, to be ignored at will. EDIT: Yes, I realize that applies to this post as well.
FanGirl
QUOTE (mfb)
a large number of the posts emo makes are designed, it seems to me, to make sure any discussion of their content is mostly about emo himself. FanGirl's posts are often similar, except they direct attention at emo rather than herself. i'm honestly not 100% convinced that FanGirl isn't just emo posting under a different name.

I can't believe that people still think I'm a sock puppet! rotfl.gif

Okay, so maybe my posts sound like Emo's, but that's probably because we're such similar people: we're both Aspies, we both went to snotty private schools, we currently go to the same college, and we both tend to get obsessed with things that we like. I would say that the main difference between Emo and me is that he tends to be forceful and impulsive about the things that he says and does, whereas I tend to try and curb my impulsive instincts much of the time, depending on whether or not I think that my audience will appreciate it. (That, and I'm more of a "role-over-roll-playing" kind of person.) I'm also aware that my posts tend to focus on Emo, but that's because most of my connections to SR are through him. Thus, whenever I talk about SR and my knowledge of it, Emo is very likely to come up in my discussion. Plus, I kinda feel obligated to help people "understand" Emo--again, we're very similar.

So what can I say that will convince you that I'm not Emo?
Smilin_Jack
Get him to change his name? wink.gif

Seriously ... the image that pops to mind is whenever I see the word 'emo' is either definition three or six.

Urban Dictionary

No offense to Emo, but a few of his posts seem to fit the criteria for one of those definitions.

Besides, its really hard to take some seriously when their name conjures up images of a bad teen television series. nyahnyah.gif
FanGirl
Again, the question is: what can I say to convince you? 'Cause I don't think there's anything I can do to make Emo change his name short of holding a gun to his head, and that would be just more trouble than it's worth.
Calvin Hobbes
Adam could probably check the IP addresses of Fangirl and Emo. If they're widely different, that'd pretty much prove it.
Calvin Hobbes
Emo and FanGirl, I've decided to think you're conjoined twins. Will you both be my ally spirit?
Wounded Ronin
Dammit all, this is such a retarded thread. How off topic is this to shadowrun?

Frankly, I don't see how the person who started this thread could possibly look stupider. Even though this seems to have become a hate-Emo fest at least Emo dosen't start random attack threads that are totally off topic.
FanGirl
Fun Fact! Emo and I definitely do not come from the same womb. We don't even come from the same ethnic group: he has 100% Chinese ancestry, but me...let's just say I could have fit in just fine in Nazi Germany, as long as I kept my mouth shut.
James McMurray
I think most of the posters in this thread can be summed up rather easily:

kryton: emo's email wanted attention and he got it. He shouldn't do it again, because if he does he'll get attention.

emo: I do what I do because it amuses me. If you don't like it, too bad. If you flame me for it, expct to be flamed back.

Platinum: People shouldn't feed the trolls. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a troll to feed. Shut up emo!

mfb: I don't bother responding to stuff, despite the fact that this is a response.

Wounded Ronin: Huh?

HMHVV Hunter: emo really is Mike.

Dranem: What? An emo post? To the flame mobile!

Me: Hey everybody, look how smart I am! I can summarize stuff!
toturi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I think most of the posters in this thread can be summed up rather easily:

kryton: emo's email wanted attention and he got it. He shouldn't do it again, because if he does he'll get attention.

emo: I do what I do because it amuses me. If you don't like it, too bad. If you flame me for it, expct to be flamed back.

Platinum: People shouldn't feed the trolls. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a troll to feed. Shut up emo!

mfb: I don't bother responding to stuff, despite the fact that this is a response.

Wounded Ronin: Huh?

HMHVV Hunter: emo really is Mike.

Dranem: What? An emo post? To the flame mobile!

Me: Hey everybody, look how smart I am! I can summarize stuff!

toturi: (to Adam) Lock this thread.
(to all others) You made your points.
James McMurray
Nah, no need to lock it now. It isn't in the main SR forum so it'll die soon enough anyway.
Tanka
Not as long as emo's around.
emo samurai
He summed it up more or less correctly.

Thank you, James. When I take over the world, I will make you in charge of executions.

And how am I emo? I NEVER talk about sensitivity, and I would never wear form-fitting leather pants.
HMHVV Hunter
I get the feeling that Milholland may have made his feelings known about that little e-scuffle:

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05262006.shtml
James McMurray
I don't know if that's related. emo didn't tell him he was wrong.
emo samurai
Dude, I just asked if he was one of two people I hate. Maybe I should have asked about you; you seem self-conscious enough to be bothered by it.

And thanks again for your fire support, James. A very late thanks.
Bull
Discussion over. It serves zero purpose.

Bull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012