Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are NERPS?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Glayvin34
It's mentioned but not defined in the SR4 book, and it's not on the Sixth World Wiki. What in blue blazes are NERPS?
newbie.gif
WyldKarde
Nerps are a running gag from the early sourcebooks. They'd have various adverts for Nerps but never make it clear exactly what they are. I've had some fun with this in the past. I had one character would always buy some Nerps whenever he visited the local StufferShack, and always for wildly different reasons.

"Oh, and some Nerps please. I need to clean the mildew from my shower."
"And a pack of Nerps, please. My breath just doesn't feel as fresh as it could be."
"Tube of Nerps, please. I've a feeling I'll be getting lucky tonight."
"Mustn't forget the Nerps. I'm cooking dinner for that special someone in my life."
etc etc.
Geekkake
I've also heard this defined as "Non-Essential Role Playing Stuff", which fits nicely into WyldKarde's description.
emo samurai
Did anyone from FASA ever clear up what it was?
BishopMcQ
Glayvin--Because it will inevitably come up, the use of the Search feature on the boards is often very useful in answering questions like "What is X?"

Shown here
Glayvin34
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Glayvin--Because it will inevitably come up, the use of the Search feature on the boards is often very useful in answering questions like "What is X?"

Shown here

Yeah, well, now I know the very nature of the term NERPS makes it a might hard to research. grinbig.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Did anyone from FASA ever clear up what it was?

When I was young (was so much younger than today), some time in the early-ish 90s, I overheard a FASA writer tell another FASA writer that it stood for "Non-Essential Role-Playing Stuff." Interestingly, that was the same year I found out that TORG (a different game by West End) stood for "That Other Role-playing Game." It was a season of acronyms, I guess.
emo samurai
You can't be serious.
JongWK
The other rumor is "Nothing Ever Really Pleases Steve," a reference to a certain FASA editor.

In any case: NERPS for flu!
BookWyrm
NERPS is.
emo samurai
It's made out of worms that sigh constantly?
Kanada Ten
NERPS: they're worth living for.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (emo samurai)
You can't be serious.

Given the SotA-Rules in SR2 Companion, the "Non-Essential Role-Playing Stuff." things sound very likely... because that's what a NERPS SotA advance is.
The Jopp
Necessary Equipment Regarding Personal Survival
Norwegian Equadors Republican Party Sisterhood
Noob Equipment Rusty Parts Store
Nubian Echoshaman Running Partly Shadows
Nifty Economical Rigger Pimp SUV

grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
stevebugge
Another common explanation is/was:

Net Enhancements for Role Playing Shadowrun, though that may have been Gurth's personal take on it.
Cang
Nerps: it's whats for dinner
Adam
QUOTE (stevebugge @ May 24 2006, 11:45 AM)
Another common explanation is/was:

Net Enhancements for Role Playing Shadowrun, though that may have been Gurth's personal take on it.

The NERPS project was named after the occurances in the books and had nothing to do with what FASA may have or have not meant. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Net Enhancements for RolePlaying Shadowrun name came from someone other than Gurth, as he wasn't the original coordinator for the project, but I don't remember who named it.
hobgoblin
Norwegian Equadors Republican Party Sisterhood

thats news to me...
Shrike30
New England Role-Playing Society.

One of my favorite things in a game was TACOs... Totally Arbitrary Collectible Objects. Can't for the life of me remember the game's name, but it was a console-rpg style thing based on the Quake 2 engine.
TBRMInsanity
This discusion remindes me of other RPG systems where 90% of your kit is NERPs. I wonder if that could be done for SR. I find I spend too much time buy equipment.
Geekkake
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
This discusion remindes me of other RPG systems where 90% of your kit is NERPs. I wonder if that could be done for SR. I find I spend too much time buy equipment.

If I'm not tightly watching money, I usually let my runners NERPS the shit out of everything. If I'm being a tight-ass about PC cashflow, however, and trying to forcibly degrade the PCs, they have to pay for absolutely everything out of pocket, including car fuel, drinks, cigarettes, snack foods, shampoo, etc.

Allowing a character to have a particularly creative or useful item in their possession that wasn't necessarily on their sheet, however, can be a boon to good RP, as the players aren't fiercely scrutinizing their character sheets for solutions instead of roleplaying. You can always charge them retroactively.
Dakhran the Dark
QUOTE (emo samurai)
It's made out of worms that sigh constantly?

No, that's Spoo. smile.gif

And no, NERPS does not taste like Swedish meatballs. At least, I don't think it does... biggrin.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Dakhran the Dark)
And no, NERPS does not taste like Swedish meatballs. At least, I don't think it does... biggrin.gif

The brown ones do, if you put them on krill. But most stores don't seem to stock them for some reason.
Shrike30
It turned out that the brown NERPS wasn't able to get soap scum off of tile as well as it were supposed to, so the marketing kinda flopped.
TBRMInsanity
As much as I hate the D20 system there is one thing I like in D20 modern:
In D20 modern you have a purchase skill (though in SR I would make it an ability) that is a measure of how easy it is to buy things (ie through credit cards, cashflow, etc). It would be nice if SR had a similar system.
The Jopp
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
In D20 modern you have a purchase skill (though in SR I would make it an ability) that is a measure of how easy it is to buy things (ie through credit cards, cashflow, etc). It would be nice if SR had a similar system.

You could do so that the fake SIN is cheaper but the rating equals the starting availability of items you can buy.

In the case of rating 4 fake ID it could equal Availability 12 and each level of fake SIN would add +3 to accessible availability.
nezumi
QUOTE (The Jopp)
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ May 26 2006, 01:26 PM)
In D20 modern you have a purchase skill (though in SR I would make it an ability) that is a measure of how easy it is to buy things (ie through credit cards, cashflow, etc).  It would be nice if SR had a similar system.

You could do so that the fake SIN is cheaper but the rating equals the starting availability of items you can buy.

In the case of rating 4 fake ID it could equal Availability 12 and each level of fake SIN would add +3 to accessible availability.

Or, you know, the negotiation skill.
Shrike30
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)

I think we do... isn't the basic roll to get anything with an Availability a Cha + Negotiation roll? Faces tend to be able to get stuff much easier than Trog Stompers.
FanGirl
But you can also use Cha + Intimidate, and you get extra dice if you seem to be the one with the advantage (you're armed and he's not, the guy thinks you're bigger/stronger/more skilled in combat than him, etc.).
Shrike30
I think using Cha + Intimidate to try and get gear is a quick way to get one of your contacts to use Strength + Running (Away), then Cha + Negotiation (Hiring Goon Squads).
stevebugge
To the original question:

Never Expect Repeat Plaid Shirts

I came up with this after realizing just now my boss has been wearing the same plaid shirt since Wednesday.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I think using Cha + Intimidate to try and get gear is a quick way to get one of your contacts to use Strength + Running (Away), then Cha + Negotiation (Hiring Goon Squads).

It's a good way for the team to practice their damage resistence rolls, though.
TBRMInsanity
I was talking to a friend about it and I thought of a system that could be used. Before I state the system I wanted to point out that the system would be separate form Cha or any social skill because it is more based around your ability to aquire resources with the current resources at your disposal (ie credit cards, cash, credit, etc). Start off with an ability (call it resources) that you can have at any level (though to keep it in line with the SR money system I would put it at 5BP/Level). If there is an item with a rating equal or less then half your resources rating you can get that item for free (note: GM may want to stack items to increase their resource rating to counter abuse of this rule). Anything greater then 1/2 but equal or less then the resources rating, you roll your resources rating versus the availability fo the item. If you succed you get the item, if you fail you don't. If the item is breater then your resource rating you roll as above to try to get the item. If you succeed then you reduce your resource rating equal to the number of points over your resource rating that the item is. This is a result of spending too much money on a single item. Further more I thing that you should get a free lifestyle based on your resource rating (you can ask for a higher lifestyle but it will reduce your rating).
Geekkake
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
I was talking to a friend about it and I thought of a system that could be used. Before I state the system I wanted to point out that the system would be separate form Cha or any social skill because it is more based around your ability to aquire resources with the current resources at your disposal (ie credit cards, cash, credit, etc). Start off with an ability (call it resources) that you can have at any level (though to keep it in line with the SR money system I would put it at 5BP/Level). If there is an item with a rating equal or less then half your resources rating you can get that item for free (note: GM may want to stack items to increase their resource rating to counter abuse of this rule). Anything greater then 1/2 but equal or less then the resources rating, you roll your resources rating versus the availability fo the item. If you succed you get the item, if you fail you don't. If the item is breater then your resource rating you roll as above to try to get the item. If you succeed then you reduce your resource rating equal to the number of points over your resource rating that the item is. This is a result of spending too much money on a single item. Further more I thing that you should get a free lifestyle based on your resource rating (you can ask for a higher lifestyle but it will reduce your rating).

Or you could just use Negotiation.
Kiedo
NERPS is people!

I always thought that NERPS was like Soylent Green, but Non-Essential RolePlaying Stuff, makes more sense.
Rock_Bottom
QUOTE (Shrike30)
New England Role-Playing Society.

One of my favorite things in a game was TACOs... Totally Arbitrary Collectible Objects.  Can't for the life of me remember the game's name, but it was a console-rpg style thing based on the Quake 2 engine.

Anachronox. I always wanted a sequel to that.
Shrike30
I knew someone would remember that.

The granular NERPS were supposed to be a sequel to that game, but people figured out they worked well as baffles in car mufflers. Needless to say, it's almost impossible to find a copy.
TBRMInsanity
Or you could just use Negotiation.

I would stay away from negotioation because resources have more to do with what money you can pull together, not how you spend that money. This means that a Troll and Elf are on equal footing when it comes to buying the daily items they need. It is also important to point out that negotiation can be used to reduce the cost of an item thus reducing the drain on your resources.
WhiteRabbit
I hear that at one point it meant Nothing Ever Really Pleases Steve.

Anyway, I'm off to go get me some of those new green NERPS, heard they will do great things for my bike's engine.
Konsaki
It might have been SR3, but I think i remember you used Ettiquite for getting stuff and Negotiations to reduce the price. Why not just use the same system in SR4?
Shrike30
QUOTE (WhiteRabbit)
Anyway, I'm off to go get me some of those new green NERPS, heard they will do great things for my bike's engine.

Amazingly enough, they will. Kinda shocking for a hair glitter to be able to double as a fuel additive so well, but NERPS are like that.
nezumi
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (WhiteRabbit @ May 30 2006, 11:30 AM)

Amazingly enough, they will. Kinda shocking for a hair glitter to be able to double as a fuel additive so well, but NERPS are like that.

Not nearly as interesting as the fact that, when properly applied, it ALSO works as a flame retardant.
ronin3338
NERPS

Good for you, bad for you, eat it or wear it,
use it for anything just make sure you share it!

Now available in single portion packs for applications that require a small explosion, or for dieters who are watching their carbs.
Shrike30
I accidentally mixed up my packs of NERPS a bit ago, when I was trying to do some makeup for a first aid class. Let me tell you, when the patient's wounds suddenly started singing "Oh, Canada," it was a sight...
cx2
I hate to say this, but I would think how much money a character can pull together for an item would be represented by how much money they actually have, possibly selling their lifestyle as a last resort as per the rules.
Geekkake
QUOTE (cx2)
I hate to say this, but I would think how much money a character can pull together for an item would be represented by how much money they actually have, possibly selling their lifestyle as a last resort as per the rules.

Hear hear!
neon_samurai
Funny little tidbit...

If you look on the back of the SR4 rulebook...

NERPS is a registered trademark of WizKids.
stevebugge
http://archive.dumpshock.com/ArchiveShowAr...cle.php3?ID=351

A bit of NERPS courtesy of Paolo Marcucci
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012