Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lending services to groups of people
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Like, can I say "help these people when they ask you to" and be confident that the spirit will know what I mean?
Jaid
i would say no. but that's just me. i'm not aware of anything that specifically says yes or no, but i think the description doesn't use the plural form....
emo samurai
Awww.... I'll allow it.
Jaid
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Awww.... I'll allow it.

well then, since you're the GM in your game, the answer (for your game only) is yes.

but like i said, i have no real solid rule that i can point to that says you can't do it, it's just my personal opinion that it wasn't meant that way, or if it was, then it's my personal opinion that i'd like it to work the other way =D

but look at it this way: in order to be ordered to perform services for someone else, the spirit must follow them around constantly, if i'm not mistaken (since they can't call it from the metaplanes like you can). so, the group is wandering along, and the spirit has to stay with them. the group then decides that they should split up to provide two different angles to attack from, hitting their opponents in a crossfire.

so who does the spirit follow? it can't split in two, and it has to stay near the person it owes a service to until they use all the services owed.

alternately, the group has stayed together. one person tells the spirit to go do something. another person, not thinking, second guesses the first person and says "no, don't do that". what does the spirit do? does it need to receive authorisation from each individual member of the group before it does anything? is it first come, first served? did that just cost 2 services (one to send it to do something, one to cancel that order) to accomplish nothing? or did the spirit just stand there and wait, confused?

so, for these kinds of reasons, i would not allow services to be owed to groups.

however, YMMV.
Crusher Bob
Well, also there is how smart spirits are (or aren't). In general, the intelligence of a spirit is determined by its force. So low force spirits are going to be confused by the order. High force spirits will understand the order, but depending on how pissed off they are with you, they will have plenty of lattitude to creatively mis-interpret your orders. It's much better to designate a single person whose orders to follow, rather than a group. Also, you can give orders like "set that building on fire when this guy tells you to'" if you already know what you want the spirit to do, but the action will require special timing.
NightHaunter
Yeah a High Force Spirit might know what you mean.
But a watcher force spirt definetly will not.

Incidentally i'm always haveing watchers taking their orders litrally, which is always amusing for me. biggrin.gif
kigmatzomat
I'd allow it as a remote service (wiping the summoning slate clean) lasting no more than 24 hours BUT the person the spirit is transferred to can only give it ONE order so it better be a good one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012