Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Former Wage Mage Archetype
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
druchii
Hi all,

I'm playing a Mage for the first time in SR and I'd like to go with a former company man archetype. In 2nd Edition there was I think a "Former Wage Mage". Has anyone got this archetype or know where I might find it? I can't really find what I'm looking for in my SR books and I need a jump-start to charcter creation. Thing is I'm not sure what a former wage mage should have in terms of gear, spells and training (skills & attributes).

Cheers
Siege
There was the "Former Wage Mage" in both 1st and 2nd editions.

The skill set tended to be more refined than his street-level brothers.

You might do a google search for "former corp character" and see if anyone has posted their characters online for details.

-Siege
Glyph
Most former wage mages are hermetic, and <1 point of cyberware would not be nearly as uncommon as it would be with most other awakened characters. Their spells would be likelier to fit a specialty (healer, scout, etc.) rather than the eclectic selection of, for example, the street mage. They would have Sorcery, Conjuring, possibly specialize in Corporate on their Etiquette skill, Stealth, a firearm such as pistols or SMG, and a Computer skill of 1 or 2. Other good skills are Car, Electronics, and Negotiation. Their knowledge skills would be a mix of corporate and academic. Their resources would tend to be high (which is a good idea for hermetics in general), but if they were recently let go (and lost their pension, condo, etc.), then they could be starting out with low resources. For gear, I see some elemental summoning materials and magical libraries, possibly some spell formulas to make learning spells later easier, some basic communications gear, a medkit, a decent data reader, a telecom with a good Matrix service, some suits, some good armor (either secure long coat or Mortimer greatcoat, along with FFBA full suit), and a pistol or SMG as a reliable backup weapon.

All of this is for a generic former company wage mage. There are all kinds of other possibilities for such a character - trickster shaman who couldn't handle all of the rules and restrictions, burned out HTR healer mage, etc.
druchii
Thanks, they are all good ideas. It certainly gives me somewhere to start!
druchii
For those who are interested I found a Red Samurai mage writeup in "First Run". While impossible to make as a starting character it gave me an idea of what a wage mage might be like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012