Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maps for Organized Crime territory
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
johnhoppkins
Writing up a new campaign all based around organized crime and centering on the PCs ascending in the Triad ranks of Seattle.

Having trouble keeping all the details of owned establishments (mah jong parlors, bars, warehouses and flophouse, housing estates) in my head and giving the PCs a clear idea.

Anyone know of a good (preferably electronic) map of downtown in block level detail ?

Not being a resident of that burg I am not sure if real world street maps are going to have enough of the cramped city feeling I am looking for, I was thinking maybe street maps of tokyo or honk kong or bangkok an just sqeezing them into the shape of Seattle Downtown.

How good is the Seattle Sourcebook for this ? Worth the $20USD odd it would cost me to get one via ebay ?
DV8
Just go to a local travel agent, or TripleA and get a map of Seattle downtown and the greater Seattle area. Make sure it's shrink-wrapped in plastic so you can draw on it with a velt-pen. It works wonders.

Then buy New Seattle, and use the Underworld Sourcebook and Mob War for backup material, go through them, and just start making notes on your map.

Finding a digital map of Seattle is going to be hard, considering the level of detail you're looking for.
Squire
I did the same for local street gangs in my campaign. I went to AAA, bought a few maps of Seattle then took them to 7-11 and photocopied the relivant sections (and enlarged them). I added a few streets to account for development, then used different color highlighters to draw out turf boundaries.

Not difficult to do, if you're not a AAA member, go to the UPS store or Mailboxes Ect. or Mapquest.com for the maps. The hardest part was enlarging the maps, especially when I had to match up two pages to cover the area I wanted. That was a pain, so was translating the black-and-white photocopies (without the color of the origianal maps it's difficult to tell a river from a roadway- of course a color photocopier would have made that a lot easier.
Wonazer
AAA??? Hell no. Look into ordering a Thomas Guide. Trust me. There is no better, more accurate map of the area than a Thomas Guide. I even went so far as to order a new one when I moved to Wisconsin with the (ex) wife. (I have since moved back.)

Amazing maps! Street level detail.
johnhoppkins
Pretty much what I figured... I would love to use a sattelite map with enough definition but I guess I will order a big ass Seattle street map over the net and then go to work with the office photocopiers.

I want to be able to lay it out in front of the guys and give them a bit of free reign over which targets to hit etc. Mob War and Underworld have some great detail but not in the direction I really need... Ah well, guess it is back to the old drawing board/tablet.

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012