Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun LARP?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jonny Reload
I haven't posted here in a while but now that my friends have discovered the joys of Live Action role play with White Wolf games I was curious to know if Shadowrun ever did anything along these lines (Or if there are people who already do so with made up rules)
Nephyte
Something Positive Shadowrun LARP - VERY Mature Material!!!

Just follow the link for next page until that particular storyline runs out. Funny as hell biggrin.gif

[edit] Added Mature Warning Label. I would also suggest reading the whole comic of course.... it's in my sig now!
Abstruse
There's fan-made rules for a Shadowrun LARP game somewhere on the net, but it's incredibly lame. The reason WW games lend themselves well to LARP is because they're mostly social and political by their nature. Other RPGs don't work as well, including Shadowrun, because they're more action based than interaction based. And even if you get the problems of trying to LARP a break-in into a secured corporate facility (without committing felony charges of trespassing), how do you handle combat? Say I want to use my sniper rifle to shoot at your character from a range of 300m. Do I walk over three times the length of a football field, tell you I'm shooting you, resolve the combat, then walk back?

Shadowrun and LARPing are best kept seperate except in a few minor circumstances, like LARPing a high-level corporate party or something like that. The system and genre just doesn't work for LARPing.

The Abstruse One
John Campbell
I always wanted to do a Shadowrun LARP at the major IBM facility I used to work at...

I may actually use the place as the target for a run in a regular game one of these days. It'd take very little adaptation to be ideal for the purpose.

And that S*P link might make a bit more sense if you read this storyline first. Actually, I'd suggest reading the first S*P comic first. If you think that one's funny, carry on. If you're offended by it, flee while you still can.
Derek
Heh. S*P's one of three webcomics I read daily. Tha, TheDevilsPanties, and Dilbert. I suppose Dilbert is not a webcomic, but my local paper doesn't carry it, so I have to webread it.

Anyways, you're right, SR, or any game with lots of non-hand-to-hand combat really doesn't lend itself well to a ALRP. Fantasy works fine, since most combat is H-t-H but not modern, except mostly social/political type games like VtM and other such types.

Derek
Siege
Actually, it's rather amusing:

A former acquaintance of mine used to play with a bunch of other guys wearing pseduo-tac gear and replicas of real weapons that fired plastic pellets using compressed air.

That could make for an interesting SR "larp" -- or paintball, for that matter.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Indeed. I've been considering getting something like this together, though it would take a lot of planning and the right setting.

~J
Derek
And would be a good way to get yourself arrested in todays post 9/11 USA, depending on the setting you used. This isn't meant to be sarcastic, just be sure the place you use isn't going to cause all of you to end up in jail, or worse yet, shot by some police officer who mistakes your plastic weapons for the real thing.

Derek
Adam
There was a set of LARP rules -- titled "Shadowrun Live" -- in development at FASA, but FanPro has chosen not to persue the project.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Adam)
There was a set of LARP rules -- titled "Shadowrun Live" -- in development at FASA, but FanPro has chosen not to persue the project.

I have to say that's a good call. The last thing we need is for Shadowrun to come into the sights of the "games make people violent" people. I still remember sitting in church a month or two ago and hearing about the evils of Grand Theft Auto with my wife looking to her mom sitting down the aisle and going, "My husband plays that game."

Or something along those lines. There are still enough D&D=devil.gif folks around to make association with gun violence a Bad Thing.
Kagetenshi
All of the places I was considering doing this were suffiiently private property that my getting arrested/shot would result almost inevitably in mass public outcry. The trick is to use common sense: just because you're playing a run in a courthouse doesn't mean you have to go to the local courthouse and start shooting each other.

~J
Caine Hazen
Add some airsoft rules, get some good locations and just have fun! I actually play the "bad guy" roles in some airsoft games to get the shadowrun feel
Siege
You'd have to take certain safety precautions, like signs outside the facility saying: "Warning! Game in Progress" and certainly notifying local police of what's going on, just in case.

But I think there is a precedent -- certainly indoor paintball arenas simulate the proper atmosphere.

-Siege
Deacon
QUOTE (Siege)
That could make for an interesting SR "larp" -- or paintball, for that matter.

I've seen three different types of Shadowrun LARPs go down. In most all of them, the action was limited in scope -- you just couldn't be a sniper and shoot people, because either the terrain was too limited or the scope of the game was too limited.

The first type is the roleplaying-centric type, where the game is more like WW in the play style. The scenario was rather limited -- players played attendees and presidential candidates at Dunkelzahn's inauguration. The plot revolved more or less an alternate universe ending of the Dunkelzahn story -- who shot Dunkelzahn? The rules used were more or less a combination of WW hand signs and dice for determining success.

The second type is the live-action game using boffer weapons or paintball guns. This was kind of funny, since trolls, orks and dwarves are tougher than humans and elves, so the coordinators had to figure out rules as to how many hits a tougher-than-normal character could take. In the end it really didn't matter, because they'd just be autogunned down, or clubbed to death. This sort of setup makes combat fairly easy to adjudicate, but like I said, figuring out the rules can be a stone bitch.

The third type is a standard Shadowrun game using a different system. It's more like the first type, but it's different because I know combat happened in this one -- part of the LARP was an Urban Brawl game. The GM used Rules To Live By as the system, and from what I heard it went fairly well. (I missed out; I found the joys of Neverwinter Nights to be too enticing to pull away from...)

-Deacon
moosegod
LARPS bad.

That's all I have to say.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (moosegod)
LARPS bad.

That's all I have to say.

Not if done right. Of course, that requires insane dedication by everyone.

Was it really necessary to go this far back in the threads to say that, though? wink.gif

~J
moosegod
I was bored.
Kagetenshi
Perhaps the best reason there is.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012