Full Version: The Ghostsword
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hyzmarca
Ghostsword
Edged
One Handed
(STR/CHA +1)M
Reach 1

At first glance the Ghostsword seems to be a rather plain Katzbalger with a corroded bronze guard in the shape of a figure 8 and an unusually long handle. This first glance is correct. There is nothing special about the weapon except for its age without would make it worth several thousand nuyen to a collector. What makes this weapon so special is its location. The Ghostsword, true to its name exists entirely on the astral plane.

As an Astral Construct the ghostsword can be manipulated and wielded by any astrally present being. It uses its normal damage code in astral combat. Because it only exists in astral space the wilder must remain astrally present to keep it. Should a wielder be disrupted or stop astrally percieving the weapon will remain where it is untill someone take it.

Manifesting
Most astral construct weapons are just curiosities. They are slightly less useful than weapon foci and much more difficult to keep, although they can be lifesavers to dual natured beings that lack magical skills. However, certain Astral Constructs can manifest under certain conditions. The conditions that cause the Ghostsword to manifest are what makes it a highly prized and very dangerous weapon.
When the Ghostsword's blade penetrates a living metahuman (including HMHVV Infected) aura the weapon will materialize, causing damage that the metahuman body it materializes inside. It dematerializes the instant it is no longer inside the target's aura. Due to this unique trait the Ghostsword can be used in melee combat against physical metahumans at a +1 TN. It can even be used in this manner if the wielder is purely astral.
Because this weapon makes cross-planar assasinations rather trivial it is very difficult to retain ownership of it. Malevolent spirits and unscrupulous magicians alike seek this blade just for that power. While the weapon present no sign of intellegence some attribute its unique feature to a malign intent and warn against using it.
Platinum
hmmm .... I really like the idea of it .... but I am not sure if I would ever let a pc get their hands on one. Is there a bow and arrow to go with it as well? (I am not asking out of sarcasm, but phantom arrows might be another cool plot device.
James McMurray
No way in hell would I ever allow that in my game.
Tarantula
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Seconded. Far too munchkiny.
Bodak
The conditions that canuse the Ghostsword to manifest
While the weapon present no sign of intellegence

Having an astral sword that could manifest would look awesome (and would only be visible to living creatures). But having an astral sword that can materialize... it sounds to me like this sword is actually a Trickster free spirit with the Aura Masking power. Otherwise if it is simply an astral construct it would be a pain in the arse to drag it through all the astral barriers you go through in the course of the day. And a non-dual natured astrally perceiving character is going to get precious little sleep poking out into the astral all night, and trying not to skewer himself on this sword that passes straight through his armour or whatever he wants to sleep in. It'd be least inconvenient in the hands of a ghoul or shapeshifter who likes to stay home all day and keep it in a cupboard with wards on all its surfaces.

If it can be taken to the metaplanes, then it would actually be useful: you'd give your Ally spirit skill ranks in swords and give them the weapon to take with them everywhere on the astral plane until they meet a barrier, which they can circumvent by a quick warp to their home plane and back.

Because this weapon makes coss-planar assasinations rather trivial

Only for projecting magicians denied Grounding trying to assassinate a target not currently present on the astral plane. Elementals, Nature spirits, Elemental spirits, Ally spirits and Free spirits can all materialize and kill a victim. Sure the munchkins will want their earth elemental to materialize as a giant tumor in the target's brain or a clot in the heart or something, but I'm talking about materializing and engaging in combat. Engulfing by a Great form water elemental would do it. Or a Great form Loa can possess the target and throw it out the nearest window into peak-hour traffic (as can Free spirits within their home ground).

More useful I think would be a metamagic technique that grants the power those ghostly twins in Matrix II had: to withdraw entirely from the physical plane into the astral plane when threatened (for up to a turn per initiate level), and to return healed (by a number of boxes up to your initiate level). For NPCs only.
James McMurray
You can actually fight back and/or flee from a materialized spirit. With this thing there's nofighting back and no getting away. And since it only materializes while inside you can't even dodge it properly because you have no idea where it is.
Bodak
That's true if it never manifests, since it only ever materializes when inside you. Although material armour would not help against it, the Astral Armour spell certainly would if you can either cast it yourself or have a chummer who trusts you enough to lend you his anchoring focus. Plus an astrally projecting weilder has +20 on your initiative so that's two extra attacks a turn. Still, you have to cling onto the thing all day and night and set off every ward you try and pull it through.
James McMurray
Setting off wards is no different then if you yourself were trying to go through, unless I'm misremembering the SR3 rules (which is very possible).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Platinum)
hmmm .... I really like the idea of it .... but I am not sure if I would ever let a pc get their hands on one. Is there a bow and arrow to go with it as well? (I am not asking out of sarcasm, but phantom arrows might be another cool plot device.

If you want, go for it. But, like Tanner said in Target: Awakenlands, it isn't like you can go down to the astral Weapons World on the corner and pick up some ghost-ammo. Retriving the arrow would be rather tedious.

It is a highly dangerous artifact in the hands of NPCs or PCs but since it can't be bound it is rather difficult to keep trans of. The only afe thing for PCs to do is destroy the weapon when they have a chance since they never know when someone will get it and use it against them. The fact that the weapon is so sought-after also gives the PCs a built-in hunted flaw while it is in their possession. It just isn't worth the risk but it can b used as a combination MacGuffin/Superweapon/Plot ticket to provide some rather interesting delimas.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (Tarantula @ May 28 2006, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 28 2006, 08:55 AM)

Seconded. Far too munchkiny.

Thirded.
With one exception, the runners can go after it even get it. But when they do fate will snatch it out of their grasp.
There's always someone harder than you!

Or maybe as just a rumor.
Platinum
I thought that I liked the idea because I am still using most of sr2 mechanics.

When thinking about it more and more, it doesn't really make sense.
I was thinking of treating it like a weapon focus that would make anyone holding it basically dual natured like when perceiving. I also was thinking that the wielder would have to by in physical form in order to use it, or it just doesn't work.
hyzmarca
It comes from a fairly literal interpretation of the Astral Construct rules in Target: Awaken Lands, an item an item that appears to be physical and behaves like its physical counterparts but exists only in astral space. Since some Astral Constructs can materialize this seems like the most egregious possible abuse of those rules (it isn't, there are far more perverse things that can be done with alchera).

As preseted, it is simply a weapon that you must be astrally present to wield but which can attack beings on both planes, even if the wielder is astral only. The only disagvantage is a minor TN penalty for attacking purly physical beings. It is very munchy in the hands of a being that can astrally project but rather underpowered in the hands of a dual being (it doesn't have to be bonded but it doesn't provide bonus dice or have the potential to defeat Regeneration.)

In the hands of an NPC it can be the driving force of a plot, expecially since it forces mundanes to become accutly aware of astral space and take precautions that with hithertofor only necessary for reckless magicians and dual beings.
Toptomcat
Very Shadowrun 2, in that it tastes like grounding.
Less of a risk, really (those who can project don't tend to have high Edged Weapons skills, and even someone with EW 7 can't hold a candle to a grounded Forceball)
John Campbell
QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Very Shadowrun 2, in that it tastes like grounding.
Less of a risk, really (those who can project don't tend to have high Edged Weapons skills, and even someone with EW 7 can't hold a candle to a grounded Forceball)

Except that grounding is sharply limited in what it can be used against. It's only useful against targets that make a habit of hanging out around dual-natured objects. To a first approximation, this means "mages who carry foci around, and their associates". And mages can detect projecting hostiles and defend themselves and others and fight back, and ones who choose to carry foci can and should take precautions against grounding and similar activities.

This sword can be used against any living metahuman. It can be used against mundanes who can't see you coming, who can't put up defenses against you, who can't fight back, who can't even run away because astral movement is so much faster than physical. Edged Weapons skill (and I wouldn't bet on people who can project necessarily having a low one) is utterly irrelevant, because if you attack someone who can't at least perceive with this, it's not fighting, it's butchering helpless victims. They have no means of hitting back, no means of blocking... they can't even dodge, because they can't tell where you're coming from. You can just cruise up to them and start hacking away, and they can't do jack shit to stop you.
BitBasher
Here's the catch, if a metahuman is holding it, then the blade is (as written) permanently manifested. (Materialized actually)

Your aura extends several inches out from your body, including the hand holding the sword. This is one of the best pointless magical items ever. It's a fantastic gimmick. It's blatantly obvious the entire time a metahuman (projecting or no) is holding it!

The sword only becomes entirely astral when it's not within a few inches of any metahuman at all!

This isn't so munchkinny, and is only really able to be used as an assisanation tool by a non metahuman wielding it.

XD

Edit: oh, and if the sword manifests (materializes) when it crosses your aura that's still outside your armor, so you would get full armor against it too.
Toptomcat
Except that grounding is sharply limited in what it can be used against. It's only useful against targets that make a habit of hanging out around dual-natured objects. To a first approximation, this means "mages who carry foci around, and their associates". And mages can detect projecting hostiles and defend themselves and others and fight back, and ones who choose to carry foci can and should take precautions against grounding and similar activities.

This sword can be used against any living metahuman. It can be used against mundanes who can't see you coming, who can't put up defenses against you, who can't fight back, who can't even run away because astral movement is so much faster than physical. Edged Weapons skill (and I wouldn't bet on people who can project necessarily having a low one) is utterly irrelevant, because if you attack someone who can't at least perceive with this, it's not fighting, it's butchering helpless victims. They have no means of hitting back, no means of blocking... they can't even dodge, because they can't tell where you're coming from. You can just cruise up to them and start hacking away, and they can't do jack shit to stop you.

Hmm. Yes, I suppose so. I was really thinking of it in terms of risk to PCs (or 'mages who carry foci-around, and their associates'), not NPCs.
Bodak
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Setting off wards is no different than if you yourself were trying to go through, unless I'm misremembering the SR3 rules (which is very possible).

This is the case for a projecting character or a dual-natured character like a ghoul, shifter or anyone astrally perceiving. Being dual-natured is sometimes handy. Being permanently dual-natured is a nasty flaw. Normally a mage could walk through a ward by turning off astral perception, walking through, and turning it back on again. If the character wanted to keep hold of this construct though, he'd have to stay dual-natured (perceiving) all the time and fight his way through every ward he came across.

QUOTE (Toptomcat)
really (those who can project don't tend to have high Edged Weapons skills, and even someone with EW 7 can't hold a candle to a grounded Forceball)

Projecting characters can use their Sorcery skill instead of Edged Weapons (or any other melee combat skill they have a focus / astral weapon for) for astral combat. They can't add their spell pool to sorcery, but they can add Astral pool and Astral Combat pool. Sorcery dice allocated to Astral combat are unavailable for spell casting / spell defence / absorbing / reflecting / etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012