Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Illegal Street Racing in Seattle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dave
In my games I like to involve each player in actvities specific for their archetype. For my newly-acquired Rigger I figured an illegal street race would be fun and (possibly) profitable while enabling the player to get to grips with the Rigging rules.

So I browsed my copy of the original Seattle Sourcebook and Underworld Sourcebook hoping that illegal street racing may have been mentioned but nothing. Did I miss it or has it been covered in another sourcebook?

I did search the forums but found nothing, if this has been covered in another topic I would appreciate some linkage...

Wonazer
I live in Seattle and can give you a few choice locations based off of locale, grade, traffic, etc. if that is what you were asking for...
Siege
Completely unrelated note: how's the job rate in Seattle these days?

-Siege
Backgammon
The go-go gangs prectise illegal everything eveyr night on the highways. I've always assumed there was plenty of illegal street racing each night.
Wonazer
The job rate is ugly. I would rather not talk anymore about it.
Wonazer
Backgammon, the Go-gangs don't get away with that as often in my games. I know where most of the speed traps are and I always incorporate a heavy level of air support as well. In my game, there is a separate division of Lone Star that replaced the State Patrol. While they work with the LS regulars, they are a distinct, highly trained unit.

But, that is where you get into the less traveled roads that LS spends less time patrolling. You can only have so many patrols and floaters on I-5, I-405, I-90, 522, 520, etc... Then you get back to the back highways and roads...

For instance, take a look at www.mapquest.com

If this link works, you will see I-5 in south Everett at the 128th Street exit. Follow 128th due east. Click on the map until you come to 35th Ave SE. Once past there you are on your way towards the Snohomish district. There area is fairly level and fairly quiet. You could race at night unmolested. I would give it a 7 on a 1 to 10.

I-5 and 128th Street

132nd and 35th Ave

Here is the race stretch - Makes for a very good 3/4 mile sprint!

If you want any more in a specific locale, let me know. I have lived for 28 years all over this silly region. =)
Dave
QUOTE (Nindaru)
If this link works, you will see I-5 in south Everett at the 128th Street exit.  Follow 128th due east.  Click on the map until you come to 35th Ave SE.  Once past there you are on your way towards the Snohomish district.  There area is fairly level and fairly quiet.  You could race at night unmolested.  I would give it a 7 on a 1 to 10.

I-5 and 128th Street

132nd and 35th Ave

Here is the race stretch - Makes for a very good 3/4 mile sprint!

If you want any more in a specific locale, let me know.  I have lived for 28 years all over this silly region. =)

Nice one Nindaru...I think I have some race 'tracks'

So I guess there's no canon information on shadowy organisers, entrance fees, race rules and the like.

Not a problem, I can write anything I want and seemlessly merge it into my campaign.
Wonazer
No problem. If you ever need an opinion on anything Seattle, I would be glad to help.

One thing that is missed in the books is just how much the entire region is hilly. From the water from to the Aztlan pyramid is a difference of near 500 feet, if I remember correctly. That makes for some steep grades depending on the street you take...
Squire
IRL street racing falls into three catagories.

1. Mindless twerps who see another hot car at a stop light and race right then and there amidst traffic.
2. Organized street racing groups.
3. Amature racers of street cars on legal race tracks.

The Mindless twerps will race anywhere. There's no money in it, only pride. The light turns green-both cars take off, whever first gains a lead is the winner. Generally no words are exchanged. After the race they drive off in seperate directions without ever speaking or knowing each other's name.

The organized street racing groups are slightly better. They tent to organize a meet (generally in a shopping center parking lot). The meet is more for checking out cars and so forth. Challenges will be made at the meet and the group will then gather at a set time in a set location for the race (or generally races).

Organized street racing groups tend to favor warehouse districts. If you check urban warehouse districts for a bit you can usually find a nice stretch of straight, flat roadway uniterrupted by any intersections that is wide enough to race two cars on and is surrounded by warehouses with minimal staff at night.

The organized street races tend to have a lot of spectators (often as many as 100 cars). This is where score is kept and money changes hands (though IRL it's more along the lines of highschool and college-aged kids, so bets are not high stakes like in the movies). Frequently the only prize in a race is pride and bragging rights within the community.

Gang participation IRL seems to be minimal (no real profit except for the winning racer- no way to sell tickets or entry fees- if people wanted to pay tickets or entry fees they'd go to the race track). Organized crime does sometimes fund street racer groups in order to keep the street cops busy, but not as a means to turn a profit.

The three catagories tend to overlap each other heavily. Some members (I use that term loosely, there is not formal membership) will participate in all three forms of racing (twerp, organized street race and race track), others will participate in only one or two forms, and still others are around just because they like cars, but don't actually race.

For more information go here or here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012