Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Sanity-Bending Secret Revealed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
QUOTE (From My Site)

To Dr. Alan Gordon, I leave my First Folio edition of Al Azif. Use it well, when and if you must.

Dr. Alan Gordon was a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Thaumaturgy who specialized in astral space and the metaplanes. He also went insane and was confined in a mental institution for a time. When released from the institution, Gordon continued on an ambitious project to map the metaplanes...a project in which he was partially successful. Dr. Gordon died in 2060 after helping Talon, a former pupil of his, and most of his metaplanar map was destroyed.

More on the Shadowrun edition of Al Azif.

And now...the dark and horrible secret I have discovered...the true identity of Dr. Alan Gordon.
FanGirl
There's only three words for this:
Dun dun DUUUN!
emo samurai
I should have it in my campaign.
hyzmarca
If Dr. Gordon originates from the CthulhuPunk plane wouldn't that mean that he himself is, in fact, an alien?
toturi
Run away... far far away!!!
TonkaTuff
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If Dr. Gordon originates from the CthulhuPunk plane wouldn't that mean that he himself is, in fact, an alien?

Not necessarily. The Mythos posits a multiverse set-up to reality where the same source-soul can be incarnated in any number of forms in an infinite number of universal planes with their own metaphysical laws (or consecutive instances in the same plane) - much like Moorecock's Eternal Champion. That the life of the SR universe's Alan Gordon took so similar a path to that of the one from the Cthulhupunk universe would be fairly typical, from a metafictional standpoint. The "Alan Gordon" being simply shares a fundamental connection to (or tendency towards it) with Al Azif/The Necronomicon - much like the Eternal Champion almost always has a relationship with some version of the Black Sword.
Wounded Ronin
Soooo......now Talon is hard enough to take on Cthulu as well?

*cues disco music*
Tiralee
-Sorry,

I read that as Doctor Gordon Freeman. smile.gif

Now, that's someone you want on your side versus the mythos....

-tir
Ancient History
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Soooo......now Talon is hard enough to take on Cthulu as well?

*cues disco music*

He may well have a tag-team partner if he ever needs to go against the Big C...

Actually, in canon, Doc Gordon and Talon have already met. In the novel Crossroads.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Tiralee)
-Sorry,

I read that as Doctor Gordon Freeman. smile.gif

Now, that's someone you want on your side versus the mythos....

-tir

Face it...

Doctor Gordon Freeman is someone you want on your side, peroid.
Witness
Not when I play him. All thumbs. wink.gif
Tiralee
Doctor Gordon Freeman

- Bad ass Uber Nerd
- Have environment suit and crowbar, will travel.

OK, that's it, my next character will be based on him smile.gif *

- Tir

* - ok, maybe I'll run out of build points before I can even get CLOSE to the gun-fu he has, but I think a couple of "l33test shad0wrunners EVAR!" will have a MAJOR problem if their extraction target turns out to be the good doctor.

God - that's an awful thought

"Here is your target - he's a graduate of MIT, having earned a Ph.D. in theoretical physics"
-Runners: "Ok, we trank the geek, drag him back, natch."

-Later...
"Ohmy god - what in hell did he do to Dr Death?"
"Lookout, he's got a crowbar!"
"Ruuuuunnnn!"
SL James
QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 29 2006, 07:44 PM)
And now...the dark and horrible secret I have discovered...the true identity of Dr. Alan Gordon.

I'm really... REALLY not at all surprised. I can't quite put my finger on why.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012