Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spraying the PCs with sticky paralytic goop
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Well, someone made a thread with an idea for a critter run. That thread got me thinking about spraying the PCs with sticky paralytic goop; perhaps in a lab setting with experimental bioengineered animals of doom.

These are my thoughts on why hosing people down with very sticky paralytic goop could be interesting in game terms.

1.) Hand grenades unexpectedly stick to your hands.
2.) Enhanced chance of misfire with weapons. Perhaps while firearms are fouled with goop after every attack the GM rolls a d6. On a roll of 1 the weapon has jammed after that shot and the chamber needs to be manually recharged.
3.) Every time someone is hit with goop the GM rolls a d6. On a roll of 1 the goop has gotten under armor and is impossible to remove without taking off armor and clothes and using the emergency shower that's in some of the labs.
4.) Everyone thinks paralytic goop is all fun and games because it only causes 10L stun per combat turn. However, after the goop paralyzes major muscles it begins to work on the lungs and heart. In other words, after you take a D stun you continue to take 10L stun which just keeps filling up your Physical condition monitor after you've gone down.

Thoughts on description of sticky paralytic goop: I'd describe it as having the thickness and consistiency of Japanese natto while having the sticky qualities of sea cucumber intestine.
stevebugge
Have it gradually thicken as it oxidizes. It could start off fairly thin, maybe like cooking oil but it rapidly moves to a gravy consistency, then molasses, before finally settling at around jello. A horrid color like greenish-orange is a must.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Have it gradually thicken as it oxidizes. It could start off fairly thin, maybe like cooking oil but it rapidly moves to a gravy consistency, then molasses, before finally settling at around jello. A horrid color like greenish-orange is a must.

Very flavorful, but how would you handle that rules-wise?

BTW, here's the link to the original Critter Adventure thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=...=7&t=13222&st=0
stevebugge
Under SR3 At the end of each combat round the affected character loses one dice from his combat pool

Under SR4 At the end of each combat round the Character is tagged with an additional -1 die penalty for any skill linked to a physical attribute.

Cap each at -3, so round of hit no modifier, following round -1, then -2, then -3.

I just made these up on the fly, they can probably use some refinement.
Wounded Ronin
I really like the idea of the rapid oxidization. I think that it makes it more mentally horrific.

Personally, I was always cautious when it came to subtracting dice from the combat pool. The reason is that since combat pools come in all different sizes it's difficult to make an effect consistient by subtracting from combat pool.

I'd rather do it by TNs. Make the goop become extremely stick and heavy so that it can begin to affect TNs. Maybe by the 2nd combat turn it gives a general +1 TN penalty and by the 4th it maxes out at +2, in addition to stun mods. That would be quite debilitating so you'd need to describe it's total flesh-numbing loathsomeness.
hyzmarca
If it is critters doing the spraying you have to wonder what they'll do with the paralyzed characters if they get a chance. Will they eat them? Will hey save them for a rainy day? Will they lay eggs in their abdomens? In their skulls?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If it is critters doing the spraying you have to wonder what they'll do with the paralyzed characters if they get a chance. Will they eat them? Will hey save them for a rainy day? Will they lay eggs in their abdomens? In their skulls?

Well, I'm personally of the opinion that having centepedes crawl into your ears and control your thoughts has become so cliche it has lost its power.

The key is to pick something kind of icky, something that will really prickle in the imagination.

That being said I think that most people who haven't been seriously injured won't get worked up over the abstract idea of something in the abdomen. Something up the rectum runs too much of a risk of getting silly.

Perhaps...something up inside the nasal cavity? Perhaps some eggs cemented in which prevent nasal breathing?
Smiley
Do you really want to know what Freud would say about you spraying your players with sticky goop? grinbig.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Smiley)
Do you really want to know what Freud would say about you spraying your players with sticky goop? grinbig.gif

He'd probably say, "Based on what I can ascertain about your subconscious...you must be a gamer. Snicker."
Voran
If your assailants are making hip thrusting motions and grunting alot when spraying said stuff, that might be another...issue.
Platinum
when you mentioned it, I was thinking of the black blobs that eventually surrounded Mr Incredible. A sticky, expanding foam that lowers your movement and quickness till it overwelms you. Or are you meaning something more along the lines of what was left on Venkman, when he was slimed by slimer from ghost busters.
nezumi
I would want to include something about it that makes spell casting more difficult. Otherwise it's just one more spell that hurts mundanes without levelling any penalties against magic users.

Also, does the goo burn? Burning goo means the PCs are more likely to burn away the goo, and thereby more likely to accidentally catch themselves on fire.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 31 2006, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ May 31 2006, 09:02 PM)

Well, I'm personally of the opinion that having centepedes crawl into your ears and control your thoughts has become so cliche it has lost its power.

The key is to pick something kind of icky, something that will really prickle in the imagination.

That being said I think that most people who haven't been seriously injured won't get worked up over the abstract idea of something in the abdomen. Something up the rectum runs too much of a risk of getting silly.

Perhaps...something up inside the nasal cavity? Perhaps some eggs cemented in which prevent nasal breathing?

Well we were originally also discussing rodents, so maybe it's simply a defensive mechanism like skunk spray that changed when the critter awakened. Of course now maybe the critter is also an aggressive omnivore that prefers "preserved" flesh. I like the idea of the goo impeding magic too.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Experimental bioengineered animals of doom need loving too.

QUOTE (nezumi)
I would want to include something about it that makes spell casting more difficult. Otherwise it's just one more spell that hurts mundanes without levelling any penalties against magic users.

Also, does the goo burn? Burning goo means the PCs are more likely to burn away the goo, and thereby more likely to accidentally catch themselves on fire.

how would it impede magic? I guess it would if you have gesturing as a geasa, but there are normally no modifiers to casting other than damage. A mage that is bound an gagged can still cast a spell in shadowrun if they see you.
hyzmarca
Dual-natured goo could provide modifiers by acting as an astral barrier.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Now that is funny!

Glue "SPLAT" Gun, with added Strain III.
eek.gif
nezumi
Right, that's really the only thing I could think of.
Toptomcat

Lay eggs in major muscle groups. Feels very weird and wrong when moving around, creates lots of messy bleeding, incapacitation and nausea when the eggs hatch, but isn't a player-outraging instakill like laying eggs in the lungs or skull.
stevebugge
QUOTE (nezumi)

Maybe the neurotoxin in the goo that causes the paralysis also causes temporary magic loss.......It is an awakened nasty goo after all
nezumi
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 1 2006, 09:40 AM)

Maybe the neurotoxin in the goo that causes the paralysis also causes temporary magic loss.......It is an awakened nasty goo after all

Oh, that's a neat idea.

Hmm... eggs... I'd aim for the throat and stomach. Everyone has had an upset stomach. Many people can imagine the feeling of something wriggling in there (make sure you serve spaghetti that night).

Reminds me of when I worked at the entemology labs and we watched wasp larvae press out the sides of catepillars. First the little green guy would climb to the top of his petri dish. Then you'd see little tiny white dots all along its body. All of a sudden it would just begin to bleed profusely as these tiny white-yellow worms wriggled out. The catepillar would sort of melt a little (they keep themselves firm through hydrostatic pressure), and the larvae would create a nest of yellow, stringy stuff and make cocoons. Very cool.
ronin3338
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Or it could be something viscous and ALIVE eek.gif

It could generate a background count as well as being dual-natured... something full of a bacteria that broadcasts very local and very negative emotion.
stevebugge
QUOTE (ronin3338)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 1 2006, 11:01 AM)

Or it could be something viscous and ALIVE eek.gif

It could generate a background count as well as being dual-natured... something full of a bacteria that broadcasts very local and very negative emotion.

Ok that sounds a little too much like the "Mood Slime" in Ghostbusters 2
Vaevictis
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Will they lay eggs in their abdomens? In their skulls?

<Japanese Accent>It lay egg now. Enjoy!</Japanese Accent>
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 1 2006, 02:21 PM)
Reminds me of when I worked at the entemology labs and we watched wasp larvae press out the sides of catepillars.  First the little green guy would climb to the top of his petri dish.  Then you'd see little tiny white dots all along its body.  All of a sudden it would just begin to bleed profusely as these tiny white-yellow worms wriggled out.  The catepillar would sort of melt a little (they keep themselves firm through hydrostatic pressure), and the larvae would create a nest of yellow, stringy stuff and make cocoons.  Very cool.

Remends me of this documentry I once saw about a young girl who walked through the Amazon with no supplies for several days after the plane she was on crashed in the jungle. All the other surviving passangers decided to wait for help, dying where they waited. She was the only one with enough sense to know that help wasn't comming. Her parents had taken her into the jungle before and taught her basic wilderness survival which is th eprimary reason why she was able to survive.

Of course, in the Amazon mosquitos are hard to avoid and in the Amazon mosquitos carry things like malaria and bot fly eggs. She found herself infected with the latter. When the bot fly larve hatched and started eating her from the inside out she knew that she would probably die if sh edidn't get them out but she didn't exactly have sanitary surgical tools. All she ould do was claw her skin open with her own fingerlands, reach in with her fingers, and grab them. This was complicated by the fact that it is possible to accidently tear a bot fly larve and leave part of it in to die and rot, almost ensuring a dangerous infection. You have to be extra careful when picking bot fly larve out of your dermis with your bare fingers.
Shrike30
Next time, on Gross Out Your Fellow Dumpshockers, Shrike30 talks about automobile-related traumatic partial face avulsions...
Crusher Bob
The bot flys don't tend to eat that much of you. It might be screw worms that you are talking about which are a different critter all together. Thankfully the US population was eradicated in the 60s or 70s.
nezumi
One of the treatments listed for botflies is alcohol. Never would hae figured a parasite would avoid drunk people.

There's some disease in Africa (I can't remember what it's called) in which the larvae actually make their way into the person's eye, where they grow and cause blindness. I think the idea of seeing the murky worms living inside of your eyeballs is much more interesting then having to dig into your skin to pop out a (spiny) fly larvae.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (nezumi)
One of the treatments listed for botflies is alcohol. Never would hae figured a parasite would avoid drunk people.

There's some disease in Africa (I can't remember what it's called) in which the larvae actually make their way into the person's eye, where they grow and cause blindness. I think the idea of seeing the murky worms living inside of your eyeballs is much more interesting then having to dig into your skin to pop out a (spiny) fly larvae.

That's river blindness

You can use petroleum jelly or similar substances to treat bot flies larvae. They haev to come up to breath, a thick later of jelly means that they have to wriggle most of the way out of the wound to get air, so that you can pull them out safely.
Telion
for SR3 I'd treat this as adding impact armor, and perhaps a ballistic every few impact points if your feel it fits. this would eventually remove combat pool due to armor stacking rules. and as for slowing them down have it increase in weight, burden them, perhaps work in a mechanic that reduces the run multiplier. keep in mind trolls may have an easier time than dwarfs.

I suppose it could have neurostun built into the compound as well or some similiar toxin. though I'm sure versions would be sold without it as well. I would imagine using fire extinguishers or some chemical could stop its effects for game balance, don't want it growing to far, we might have a blob movie.

nice death trap item.
hobgoblin
sounds to me as this thread is about "freeze foam".

you will find the stuff in m&m, page 112...
stevebugge
It actually started as a discussion of peeing rodents, but turned in to paralytic freezefoam that drains magic, weird huh?
Shrike30
Around here? I'm just surprised nobody's added any swordfish to it yet.
stevebugge
True, swordfish mustardball spitting chuck norris ninja AWESOME MechaShiva drop bears doing Dikoted AVS Ally Spirits and marked by Verjigorm would be the logical endpoint.
Platinum
CODE
#######  #    #  #    #   ####   #####     #
   #     #    #  #    #  #    #  #    #    #
   #     ######  #    #  #    #  #    #    #
   #     #    #  #    #  ######  #####     #
   #     #    #  # ## #  #    #  #
   #     #    #   #  #   #    #  #         #

We speak of carp here .... not swordfish.
stevebugge
Been a long time since I've seen the old Thwapping Carp broken out, since 1997 at least.
Platinum
yeah, it had a nostalgeac feel to it as well. I missed the old incarnations of the shadowrn boards. I think 1997 was the last time that I used it actually.

When I was searching for it, it was bull asking if anyone had it stored... on the old lists.dumpshock.com archives.

Ah, the good old days.
stevebugge
Well how good is mixed, I was getting the email list on Dial-up with Compuserve........Still It was fun times.
Platinum
I remember how excited I got when I found the chrombook conversions and plastic warriors. People like Robert Hayden, Gurth and Paolo Marcucci were household names. and shadowrun was Gritty. I fostered my hatred for immortal elves back then.

..Sniff..
stevebugge
For those of you who have no idea what the hec we're talking about...

Some of it lives on here http://archive.dumpshock.com/ some of it sadly is lost to history, format changes, and harddrive failures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012