Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somewhat Peeved: Vehicle Design
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nephyte
Vehicle Design really falls apart when you're trying to work on something large and come up with a reasonable cost.

For instance, under Special Holding Tanks (Holding Liquids, chemicals etc etc) the maximum listed design cost is 12, for a 1,000 CF tank.

Well, what if I want to make a 1,000,000 CF Special Holding Tank designed to hold Petro-Chemicals. (In other words I'm designing a super tanker here folks)

Also, Personal Spaces seem unnessarily complicated. I meant why have two ratings for them other then to show a virtual limit of how many people can live inside (typically) said ship? Why not just have a crew minimum/maximum and leave it at that?

Also, I was looking through other ships already presented by Fanpro/Fasa (Keep in mind I have the old Rigger book, hrm I should check out the errata by the by). No other ship has and sort of sensor package equipped on them, so I assume that sensor packages (navigation radar, sonar, sat-com gear etc etc) would come standard on a ship of any respectable size? Also, I admit to never having been on a naval ship, but I was under the assumption most ships had such things as a Mechanics and Electronics shop on them. I assume again these must be standard seeing as though they are never mentioned. At least, those are the things that I remember jumping out at me during creation.

Oh, and here by the way I present:

TransOceanic ULCC Atlas Class SuperTanker

This is a 10.5 Billion nuyen.gif SuperTanker, one of the very largest rolling over the waves. Very few ports in the world can possibly accommodate this vehicle, instead most unloading has to be done to smaller vessels out to see at which point the smaller tankers bring the goods to port.

It has nine 1,000,000 CF tanks and is capable of carrying up to 250,000 Metric Tonnes in goods. Manned by a crew of 65, the ship has a failsafe Robotic-Pilot Advanced Program 5 which is controlled via satellite up-link from a shore posistion and can be activated to take over control of the vessel, disabling manual control. Further the ship is monitored by a Closed Circuit Simsense System 4 by an onboard rigger to ensure that a companies investment is taken care of a maximum speed of 13 knots (24 kph) it slowly carries the greatest loads across the great oceans of the planet.
Nephyte
God help me for being the first response to my own post, but it was already at the top when I started typing so it's not like I'm bumping it! Plus this is too terribly long for just an edit.

Ballast Tanks:

How come the description only has these for underwater craft, such as submarines. Again, it is my understanding that due to the nature of most Cargo bearing ships (and most ships in general) to have ballast tanks so they can manually change the depth at which the ship rides in the water. Mostly this is used for passage through canals, or during times of extremely light loads so that the ship sits lower in the water. I presume this is desirable to prevent capsizing or things along that manner.

Also, why does it use (body)x(body) if ships are rated on hull? If I decided to add ballast tanks would I just by default change body to hull for the purposes of this calculation?
Kagetenshi
It's 12 for a 1,000+ CF tank, so it's the same 12 for your gargantuan tank.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "two ratings", can you clarify?
Remember that Sensors 0 includes a basic sensor suite, just nothing that you could reasonably operate from alone. Since ships tend to travel on the ocean (I'm brilliant, aren't I?) where there aren't many obstacles, what isn't considered anything you could operate from alone suddenly is something you can use as a sole input method. Doesn't mean that you have any more information about the outside world, though.
As for shops, there's absolutely no provision saying that they are standard. I would assume most large ships would have the facilities to keep themselves up and running, but not general shops unless seperately paid for.

~J

[edit] Regarding ballast tanks, they state a description but never specifically require it to be for that. You can stick ballast tanks in your Americar, they just won't do anything except allow it to change its depth underwater, which I hope it isn't doing much.

As for the BodyxBody question, I'm not sure. I'll do some digging and see if I can find out.
Kagetenshi
If you can find where the rules for firmpoint and hardpoint capacity for a normal vehicle are, you can extrapolate the comparison from the fact that a ship can have (hull*hull)+4 of the things.

~J
Nephyte
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "two ratings", can you clarify?

What I mean is living spaces have a double cost. First the cost you a certain amount of CF from your Base CF, and Load from your base Load. Then on top of that they go on to cost Personal Space CF and Load.

Just seemed like an extra step that was ultimately pointless. The whole Personal Space Issue.

As for shops, there's absolutely no provision saying that they are standard. I would assume most large ships would have the facilities to keep themselves up and running, but not general shops unless seperately paid for.

My extrapolation that these must be standard comes from published vehicles by Fanpro/Fasa. Unless I am grossly mistaken ships today include a mechanics/electronics and several other shops. This is especially true of an Aircraft Carrier and other large ships that must be self-sufficient at sea and are extremely complicated vessels. (Please correct me if I'm speaking completely out of my ass here someone). Yet the SR vehicles don't have these systems listed under there additional systems. Thus I must extrapolate that these are basic, or that the 2060 Naval Forces could care less about duty maintenance on their ships.

Kagetenshi
I would more chalk it up to someone at FASA not thinking everything through entirely.
Regarding the two ratings, it makes perfect sense to me. There's a certain amount of stuff necessary for any existance, and then beyond that each person needs their own space. Obviously it isn't exact, but for an abstract system it works as far as I can see.

~J
Buzzed
I played around with the rules to make myself the ultimate rigger vehicle suite.

- A large cargo ship in the middle of the ocean with an air strip (The home base that our superheros use to travel around the world.)

- A Cargo plane to deploy the heros to where they want to go.

- A few combat jeeps and combat bikes ect. in the cargo plane.

- Inside the jeeps are launch ports for various drones.

The only problem is being able to remotely control this stuff from my cargo ship as I sit 150 miles off the shore.

Can anyone lend me 995,000,000 nuyen?
Sahandrian
Our old adept could. But that's because his player was a munchkin who blatantly cheated in every way because he thought he could sneak it past a newbie GM. But luckily for her campaign, she asked me to approve characters for her.
Athenor
Quick question of clarification, Neph, as I've been reading your posts and think I can see where you are heading...

Are you using Rigger 3, or Rigger 3: Revised? I do not know the exact criteria for differentiation, other than if it has a Fanpro/Wizkids logo and you bought it in the last 2-3 months... wink.gif

If it is Rigger 3, be aware that some of the costs, as well as how living quarters work, were on the list of items changed, IIRC.

As usual, (and I should put this in my sig), I am going from memory, so I may be off. I'd recommend the Sourcebooks forums, and in specific the "waste of money" thread, for details. Rob answered in there about its contents.

Athenor
Drain Brain
QUOTE (Athenor)
<snip>As usual, (and I should put this in my sig), I am going from memory, so I may be off...</snip>

You need a Disclaimer™...
Stonecougar
Psh. Where's the fun in that? Then people actually forgive you when you screw up, and you can't go post after post trying to defend your stupid error, digging yourself deeper and looking like a complete @$$.

Just do like I do. Say what you feel, and if the heat gets too much, don't post for 2 months. ;-P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012