Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nodes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
So commlinks can run Attack programs without them being in Agent form, does that mean any node can do the same? Nodes don't always have to respond by activating IC, but could use a preloaded Attack program right? If so, then can you engage a Node in Cybercombat or would you have to use Crash/OS instead?
hobgoblin
a node does not have the "ai" behind it to manage the targeting and all that of a attack program or similar.

when analyze is used in combo with firewall, i think its in more of a automatic info-gathering mode.
TBRMInsanity
When your commlink hasa attack loaded it means you can use an attack program. Only if there is a security hacker in that node can an attack program be loaded onto a node. And then I would assume that all programs are loaded onto the node (being a high level corp node with near infinate resources).
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
a node does not have the "ai" behind it to manage the targeting and all that of a attack program or similar.

when analyze is used in combo with firewall, i think its in more of a automatic info-gathering mode.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about the AI required (aka "Pilot" wink.gif). I'll buy that.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
When your commlink hasa attack loaded it means you can use an attack program. Only if there is a security hacker in that node can an attack program be loaded onto a node. And then I would assume that all programs are loaded onto the node (being a high level corp node with near infinate resources).

i would expect the security hacker to, rather then overload the node with software, use his own terminal or comlink, fully equiped and tuned for the job.

with the SR4 matrix, the node does not have to have many programs available. the users instead have them loaded on their comlinks or whatever other device used to connect to the office server node.

given that AR is as usefull as vr now, a office terminal may well be a wall (or other surface) displaying AR visual data, and a glove or two for manipulating them. or maybe there are two screens, both touch sensitive to multiples points at the same time. one more or less vertical as a display, the other ore flatly slanted to work as a keyboard and other input devices.

still, one of the best ways to impress if your and executive, is to have your own high rating agent as a kind of virtual secretary. load it with edit and browse and it should be fully able to handle your generic dictations and file management wink.gif
Kanada Ten
still, one of the best ways to impress if your and executive, is to have your own high rating agent as a kind of virtual secretary. load it with edit and browse and it should be fully able to handle your generic dictations and file management

Isn't that a basic function of a commlink? The pocket secretary? Make hotel reservations, book flights, arrange power lunches matched to your diet and tastes, etc...
hobgoblin
heh, i didnt fully expand on that.

say you have a meeting, and press a button on your desk. up on a wall screen pops a virtual head. thats the agents icon. now you tell it, in plain speak, what you want it to do, and it does it.

presto, a virtual secretary wink.gif

ok, so maybe some of this is in the comlink allready. the book is kinda low on details when it comes to what it can and cant do without the user going for a computer+program roll...
Dranem
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jun 2 2006, 03:32 PM)
So commlinks can run Attack programs without them being in Agent form, does that mean any node can do the same?  Nodes don't always have to respond by activating IC, but could use a preloaded Attack program right?  If so, then can you engage a Node in Cybercombat or would you have to use Crash/OS instead?

Your commlink doesn't send the Attack program, your icon activates the program 'stored' on your commlink and is controled by the user.

The node cannot activate the Attack program, programs require some sort of user control, either from an Agent, Sprite, IC or Hacker. User control is required, otherwise your Attack program will wander a node and attack any icon it comes across, regardless of what it is...
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Dranem)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jun 2 2006, 03:32 PM)
So commlinks can run Attack programs without them being in Agent form, does that mean any node can do the same?  Nodes don't always have to respond by activating IC, but could use a preloaded Attack program right?  If so, then can you engage a Node in Cybercombat or would you have to use Crash/OS instead?

Your commlink doesn't send the Attack program, your icon activates the program 'stored' on your commlink and is controled by the user.

The node cannot activate the Attack program, programs require some sort of user control, either from an Agent, Sprite, IC or Hacker. User control is required, otherwise your Attack program will wander a node and attack any icon it comes across, regardless of what it is...

I was thinking there was some basic level of AI inherit in a node. But after thinking it over, it's clear IC (Pilot) is where the brains lie. So if an alert is triggered the node must still make a Matrix perception test to find you (by your Access ID?) then command IC to respond to do what its programmed to do.

With that in mind, each new IC would "see" you once spotted then yes?
Shadowmeet
If anyone here has read Otherland, by Tad Williams, there is a Character named Orlando, who has a program agent, called Beezle.

This is what I imagine a SR agent to be like. He has a limited AI, although Orlandos seems to be developing further. He will do Searches, leave messages, make points of contacts, etc. It's similiar to how I imagine a SR agent to be.

If you get a chance, check out the chapters with Beezle in it, and tell me if you agree.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Shadowmeet)
If anyone here has read Otherland, by Tad Williams, there is a Character named Orlando, who has a program agent, called Beezle.

This is what I imagine a SR agent to be like. He has a limited AI, although Orlandos seems to be developing further. He will do Searches, leave messages, make points of contacts, etc. It's similiar to how I imagine a SR agent to be.

If you get a chance, check out the chapters with Beezle in it, and tell me if you agree.

I've read the first couple novels in that series, and I concur. That's just about how I see agents, albeit with less personality.
Shadowmeet
Less personality, I agree, however, gotta have some, especially as the AIs are well designed usually. If I recall the book does say they are pretty good little AIs capable of understanding complex orders.

I've been thinking of creating IC/Agent for my team with an annoying personality. It protects them, but bugs them. Just for fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012