Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wireless Datajack Functionality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Geekkake
So it seems that practically every item in 2070, down to your shoes, has wireless functionality. Your cyberware, in general, seems to have wireless capabilities to work with your PAN. So would datajacks also have this ability? It seems like adding wireless functionality, already ubiquitous in everything, would appease the consumer's demand for convenience in all endeavours, and wouldn't really change the cost of manufacturing at all. Thoughts?
Butterblume
QUOTE (Geekkake)
So would datajacks also have this ability?

I am wondering what you are wondering about.
And yes, datajacks can be wireless, too.
hobgoblin
yep, the SR4 datajack is wireless, and allso comes complete with storage.
Daegann
And if you don't want this hole in your skull, you can go totally wireless with sim-module for example... (and read eventual chips with your commlink). But datajack have other advantage anyway...

- Daegann -
Edward
I got the impression the actual plug was an optional extra now. Default model doesn’t include it

Edward
Red
Given the security that an optical cable plug offers, the main selling point of a datajack in a wireless world with trodes, I don't see why a datajack wouldn't have a plug. I would think that the default skin and bones datajack is the plug.
Jaid
default everything is wireless. this is SR4, not SR3.

as far as why you'd have a datajack? well, it doesn't have to show in the numbers to be faster flavorwise. just like there are different brands of, say, trodes, with no mechanical differences between them.

it is a lot less likely to fall off or get knocked off accidentally.

it is not necessarily as noticeable (depends where you put it, i suppose, and can have a skin flap covering it).

it's not a whole lot more expensive.

you can't forget it at home, in the car, etc.... it's always with you.

so sure, it's certainly not the only option... but even without the wire, it's still worth it to some people.

oh, and you can simulate the wired ability with a skinlinked set of trodes. i should point out that you can also only plug into something which is set up to receive wires... arguably not that many things in SR4.
Cang
i would think most things that are important; ie trucks, computers, databases, drones, and all kinds of dataterminals, would have a jack still. I doubt a coffee maker would, but its always good to have a second, more secure, more reliable access to the information. Working on the big servers in the Air Force, we had about 2 or 3 ways of accessing the terminals if needed to.
Edward
I saw the major selling point of a data jack being that it never gets bumped out of alignment,

The security thing isn’t significant to 99.9% of users

Edward
Red
Cable buys you a solid connection that cannot be jammed without physical interfere with said cable. No jamming, no remote hacking, no hopping on to your body's bioelectric PAN and getting in through a skinlink.

Deus and every last technomancer on the face of the Earth combined cannot intercept communication between two wireless people connected only to each other by cable alone if the information isn't recorded digitally, and just kept in the wetware of your brain. (I.E. two people w/jacks and no other devices connected to said jacks aside from the user's brains) No microphone can eavesdrop. No camera can read lips. That forces the enemy to actually physically intervene, or use magic to get the information. That sort of thing.

There is no such thing as encryption that cannot be broken (as far as we know in SR) unless you've got a technomancer's sprite using Hash, and such. Some material is too risky to broadcast. When lives, or billions of nuyen, are on the line and you have the option... use cable. That said, there is a compelling case for the continuation of cable plugs in datajacks even without delving into an in-depth pro vs con list, and a thorough exploration of hypothetical examples.

Now, it is perfectly plausible that people might giggle or laugh at somebody with the built in plugs. "Oh he's so retro. Poor analog." But that comes with the territory.
stevebugge
They probably continue to be offered for backwards compatability with legacy systems. Sure Mitsuhama can afford to upgrade everything at all their facilities to a new secure wireless standard in 5 years, but what about a local player like Microdeck? Some corps might just have to continue to get by on local wired connections or want to save a little cash that way. Also in 2070 there are several generations of office drones who already have datajacks and are used to them, but they may want to continue getting upgrades, repairs, and parts. So while you probably no longer need a datajack there is probably still a good market for them.
-X-
If datajacks could possibly have a reason to be wireless only then I simply do not understand what Datajacks, Sim Module and Commlinks do. Certainly the description of the datajack indicates that it is just like an SR3 datajack. The entire point of having a datajack seems to be that it isn't wireless.

If you have an implanted Sim Module, it says you'll need a datajack or implanted commlink to access it. Which implies that an implanted commlink is or basically includes a wireless equivalent to a datajack.

And yet if you want to use a Linguasoft or Knowsoft it says you need a DNI to do so and lists a Sim Module or Datajack as examples of DNI's with no mention of Implanted Commlinks.

So here's my take on it.

A DNI is a little nothing accessory that costs considerably less than .1 essence and less than nuyen.gif 500.

A datajack is a physical manual plug socket that comes standard with a DNI interface that costs almost .1 essence and close to nuyen.gif 500.

A regular commlink has no DNI so needs Trodes, a Datajack or some other DNI to connect to your noggin.

A regular Sim Module has no DNI so needs Trodes, a Datajack or some other DNI to connect to your noggin.

An implanted commlink has a DNI equivalent to a datajack, but without the actual physical plug, so it has the functionality of a commlink hooked up through a datajack, but without an external plug anywhere. (Note that while the commlink itself is wireless the connection to the brain wouldn't be.)

An implanted Sim Module has a DNI equivalent to a datajack, but without the actual physical plug, so it has the functionality of a commlink hooked up through a datajack, but without an external plug anywhere. (Note that while the Sim Module itself might be wireless, the connection to the brain wouldn't be.)

If you have both an implanted Sim Module and an implanted Commlink (And why would you have an implanted Commlink without an implanted Sim Module?) presumably they just connect to the brain once so probably the second 'free' (Non-Wireless) connection goes between the two devices rather than have a second connection to the brain.

If that isn't the way they work then at least one of those three devices makes no sense.
Shrike30
I've been on a variety of broadband connections at home since 2000. I still keep a 56k modem installed and driver-equipped on my primary PC, for those times when something in the system craps out, and I need Internet connectivity.

I've also got a backup keyboard and mouse tucked away in my closet.

While a lot of stuff is going to be moving away from having jackpoints, anything "macro" (like cars, desktop computers, manufacturing controls, security stations, etc) will probably have a jackpoint, if only because it keeps slightly paranoid techies happy that they're not going to have a problem when solar flares act up.
Squinky
X, thats pretty much the way I see it.
duck1123
I would assume that a datajack by itself doesn't have wireless capability, as that's not part of it's basic function, and the essence-conscious wouldn't necessarily want extra stuff in their head if they didn't have to.

That said, I'm pretty sure you should be able to buy a datajack "plug" that fills up the whole in your head and provides wireless connectivity. Basically it would be the 2070 equivalent of an ethernet to 802.11 converter. You could even buy little bits of synthetic or natural hair to cover up the plug in various hair colors.
-X-
QUOTE (duck1123)
I would assume that a datajack by itself doesn't have wireless capability, as that's not part of it's basic function, and the essence-conscious wouldn't necessarily want extra stuff in their head if they didn't have to.

That said, I'm pretty sure you should be able to buy a datajack "plug" that fills up the whole in your head and provides wireless connectivity. Basically it would be the 2070 equivalent of an ethernet to 802.11 converter. You could even buy little bits of synthetic or natural hair to cover up the plug in various hair colors.

That makes tons of sense actually, especially considering that plenty of folks have datajacks from prior to the crash that probably don't want to be bothered with going in for the surgery for a 'real' upgrade.

Also my take on equipment is that if it is large enough for some kind of physical plug there will probably be one for troubleshooting purposes. If your device goes offline, it is nice to be able to track down if it is the wireless interface that is causing the trouble which is easily determined if you can jack in directly. So a set of cheap earbud headphones might be entirely wireless, but your motorcycle probably has a spot to jack in.

Doesn't mean getting to that spot will be easy necessarily either. For some commlinks you might have to pull out the battery pack and run a cord from it to a diagnosics/power box then run a cord from there to your datajack (or trodes, or other commlink) to try and get the thing working again.
Edward
Another point to consider.

Cable trodes do exist. Somewhere it said that any hardware could be obtained without a transmitter, you would however be looked at funny.

Trods and a cable connected them provides all the security of a datajack and cable.

-X-
QUOTE (Edward)
Another point to consider.

Cable trodes do exist. Somewhere it said that any hardware could be obtained without a transmitter, you would however be looked at funny.

Trods and a cable connected them provides all the security of a datajack and cable.

And a bit more essence friendly if you don't want anything marring your perfect essence.

Most trode rigs probably include a cable connection since it wouldn't add much to the bulk or weight. I'm almost certain the nanopaste wouldn't have a cable connection and possibly those trodes meant to be completely concealed.

I bet hats are a lot more stylish in 2070 then they are now. Skullcaps, yarmulkes and the like have also probably seen an upswing in use.
hobgoblin
heh, a headband or bandana should be enough i think...

anyways, the nanopaste is talked about being places in stylish patterns. and lets not forget about skinlink, i think trodes should work wonders with that smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
Maybe the external plug isn't necessary. Maybe most people don't use them. But maybe they want them anyway. Consider: If you have a wireless jack with no external port, what will other people think? They might think you've got a wireless jack. Or they might think that you're *gasp* too poor to get a jack at all, or are some kind of luddite or anti-cyberware freak! If they see chrome, they know.
It could just be a status thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012