Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headware Processing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AnotherFreakBoy
Hey all,

what are the limitations on what can be done with information in headmem?

For example if I have a headmem archive of images, and I take a picture of someone with an eyecam, can I run a facial recognition search program to see if they match any other pictures?

How long would it take?

Can I do other things while it is happening?

What about voiceprint searches?

What if I have a knowsoft of, say, a newspaper archive. Could I run a search against images to see if someone has ever been in the paper? What about text searches?

In game this would come up in situations where I meet a Johnson, and I want to see if he has ever appeared in the paper. Knowing that Johnson appeared in a groupshot at an Ares social function, while he is claiming to be from Renraku is potentially valuable information smile.gif

If the above is not possible, is there any ware I can get to make it possible?
Kanada Ten
AnotherFreakBoywhat are the limitations on what can be done with information in headmem?

[IMO]
It depends on how your GM views headware memory. Many see it as identical to a computer, able to store and run programs. Others see it as pure memory, without any processing power on its own. In answering the next questions, I will assume the former -if your GM says the latter then you need to add a computer (external via a datajack or internal via a cyberarm/leg).

AnotherFreakBoy 
For example if I have a headmem archive of images, and I take a picture of someone with an eyecam, can I run a facial recognition search program to see if they match any other pictures? How long would it take?

Do you have any Facial Recognition software? What rating is it? Is it stored in your headware memory? Typically, the base time required relates to the size of the searched archive. The base time is divided by the number successes on a program test with factors like quality of the photos acting as modifiers. The base target number for such a test is up to the GM, but 4 sounds right. The base time would up to the GM as well but 1 turn per picture sounds good to me.

AnotherFreakBoy 

If you mean can the character with headware memory function normally while said memory is operating? I would say definitely (you need memory for skillwires, IIRC).

AnotherFreakBoy

All searches require a program of some kind. To match files you need recognition software of the appropriate type.

AnotherFreakBoy
What if I have a knowsoft of, say, a newspaper archive. Could I run a search against images to see if someone has ever been in the paper? What about text searches?

If the chipjack or datajack is routed to the memory, then yes. Text searches require a browse program.

AnotherFreakBoy

The software is the real issue. I would think Facial and Voice recognition software would cost as Browse with one higher multiplier.

I also allow one to browse the 'Trix with a cyberphone and display (no decking or simsense, just text and picture) for public data, making plane reservations, car rental, ect.
[/IMO]
The White Dwarf
Nods to above, very on the ball. The only questions you need to know are "how does my GM/group view memory" and "whats the GM call on the software aquisition". The examples and guidelines suggested above are quite fair imo, ill second them.
Drain Brain
As one of the "other" GM's that Kaneda Ten mentioned, I'm here to show you the other side of the coin, as spent in my games.

Hey all,

Hi...

what are the limitations on what can be done with information in headmem?

What are the limitations for a PC's external Hard Drive? You store stuff on it. Period.

For example if I have a headmem archive of images, and I take a picture of someone with an eyecam, can I run a facial recognition search program to see if they match any other pictures?

What you need: Some sort of processing device like an internal computer. Unless of course you want to pipe it out through a datajack.

How long would it take?

Whoa boy... that's up to the GM - variables include size of database, power of processor, rating of program and just plain luck.

Probably. I would reccomend eating, drinking, sleeping and toilet trips.

As above. Processor + Program = Eureka.

And again... Ditto Kaneda Ten, save you need other bits to run the program.

In game this would come up in situations where I meet a Johnson, and I want to see if he has ever appeared in the paper. Knowing that Johnson appeared in a groupshot at an Ares social function, while he is claiming to be from Renraku is potentially valuable information

Quite...

N/A

NOTE: Do not forget to purchase: Image link and, if applicable, subdermal speakers.

In short, I view HeadMem as Storage memory as per the description in the cyberdeck. What I might considder is an inflated price (in both essence and monetary terms) for HeadMem lumped with a dedicated processor as one might find in a PC... hmm...

*wanders off to drawing board...*
Cray74
I see it being like Active Memory: basically a computer, not just storage space.

You'll need some way to interface with the headware memory to see what's in the data.

A display link (text only), an image link (text, video), a transducer (sound), subdermal speakers (sound), a knowsoft link, etc. Those would let you read and flip through the newspaper archive.

Arguably, the archive itself might include a search function. Otherwise, you'll need a simple text/file browser (a Browser utility with a low rating).

To run searches, voiceprint IDs, etc. you'll need utilities. Matrix provides some estimates for basic computer programs at the end of its software section. Most programs like word processors and simple file/text browsers are small compared to decker utilities.

Sure. You can do whatever you want while the memory is running its programs, and you can run as many programs as you have memory for. I'd say most single operations take 1 turn to execute.
The White Dwarf
I can easily see where DB is coming from, but I have to go active memory for interpretation. I mean its the exact thing c2 decks use for active mem. The catch is ... does active mem allow the stuff to be run, or is in active mem in conjunction with the deck. Once you answer that for your game youve got your solution.
Drain Brain
That's my point - you need the C2 deck to run the programs, no? So if you want to forego the C2, you'll need an independant processor.

I rule that image links contain a dedicated processor for imagery and SD speakers have what ammounts to a .wav player, but for anything more complex, it's a no-go...
Cray74
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
That's my point - you need the C2 deck to run the programs, no?  So if you want to forego the C2, you'll need an independant processor.

I rule that image links contain a dedicated processor for imagery and SD speakers have what ammounts to a .wav player, but for anything more complex, it's a no-go...

I couldn't rule that in my games. If headware memory was just storage memory (perhaps able to play recordings), then it's nearly useless in comparison to the alternatives: chipjacks and computers in cyberlimbs.

First, look at chipjacks. Get a chipjack and have 1000Mp or more of R/W memory (with music playback) for .2 essence, and 1000 nuyen.gif plus the price of the big chip (5 nuyen.gif /Mp?) Tack on a transducer and/or image link and, though you've blown .5 essence now, you'll have even more memory than what you can get out of .55 essence of headware memory, and it'll certain be a lighter burden on your credstick.

Second: computers in implants. If you need to install a computer to make the headware memory "active," why are you bothering with headware memory in the first place? Memory in the computer is cheaper than headware memory, right? 20 nuyen.gif per Mp x4 for an implanted device = 80 nuyen.gif , vs 150 nuyen.gif per Mp of headware memory? Then, whether you get 1Mp of memory on the implanted computer or 100000Mp, the essence cost is the same: zero, after paying for the limb and DNI for the computer. (Though you might have to loot all the gold out of Zurich-Orbital* to pay for that 100Gp computer).

*Yes, I know there're no vaults of gold on Z-O.
Kagetenshi
There probably is at least some gold on the Z-O for electronics purposes.

~J
::Dedictedly takes notes:: As a side note. Man my players don't think of anything close to some of this cool stuff. ::Continues to take notes::
TinkerGnome
As near as I can tell, headware memory is just that, memory. It lacks any ability to run programs in and of itself, though there might be a rudimentary menu interface for selective data piping (you'd need a display or image link first). The benefit to it is that you don't have wires sticking out of your head while you're recording.

While you couldn't, from the original example, take a picture with an eye camera and then run a facial recognition software on it, you could probably send your image link to split screen mode and place the image beside that of a person you're tracking for direct comparison. A C2 would be able to do the processing, as would a limb computer.

A cyberlimb computer is often a much better option and that's not a bad thing. It makes sense that cramming computer memory directly into your brain would be a less efficient option than simply buidling a link between your brain and a computer with a load of memory. With the DNI and cyberlimb, it's also much more expensive in cash and essence than a equivalent headware solution.

For instance, the breakdown on 300 MP of memory assuming that you also have a datajack (three free links go to image/display link, eye camera, headware/computer):

Headware memory
Essence: 1
Nuyen: 45000
Drawbacks: No processing power
Benefits: Cheaper cashwise, almost completely concealable

Synthetic cyberlimb with computer
Essence: .1 (DNI) + 1 (limb) = 1.1
Nuyen: 4500 (DNI) + 100,000 (limb) + 45000 (computer) = 149500 nuyen.gif
Drawbacks: Concealability 8 for the fake limb. Not as stealthy an option.
Benefits: You have an additional 1.75 ECU in the limb and may be able to save essence that way from a overall package POV. Cost is reduced 25,000 for using an obvious cyberlimb, at the cost of concealability.
The_Dood
Just an Update: I'm FreakBoy's GM and recommended a cranial cyberdeck in order to run his search programs.
TheScamp
Alternately, a PocketSec with DNI and designed to strap to your forearm, linked to a induction datajack (conveniently located on that same forearm), should be able to do the job for you as well. Hell of a lot cheaper in both cash and essence than even the crappiest cranial deck, and is completely legal to boot.
Jestyr
No copies of Man and Machine handy, but our group has always ruled that having an Encephalon is sufficient to use headware memory as active processing space.
AnotherFreakBoy
My current plan is to make this character a face/mage.

I'd go a little under 1 essence for cyber eyes, ears, headmem and datajack (haven't done the research yet, so still not quite sure if I can get all that under 1), and do any processing on an external computer which would be either at home or in the car.

Are cranial cyberdecks in M&M? Its the one relevant book I don't have immediately to hand.

What about pocketsecs, are they from M&M? I'm guessing they are essentially a PDA from the name.

What is an Encephalon?
Jestyr
The Encephalon is a piece of cyberware that allows for dedicated processing; it does a variety of things (like give you a task pool). It's changed fairly drastically from one edition to the next, so rather than mis-cite the stats I'll point you at Man & Machine (if you've got a copy).
TheScamp
Cranial decks are in MM, but they're certainly not essence friendly. Cheapest one essence-wise is 1.9.

Pocket Secretaries are in the main SR3 book on page 288. They're a 100MP computer, cell phone, digital camera, word processor, etc. Basically, think of it as a rough equivalent to one of today's top-of-the line PDA/PocketPC's.
TinkerGnome
Depending on what you want to do with the various components, you might have to throw a router in there. M&M has rules for interfacing different items of 'ware. I'd say forget about a C2, you're not really needing the other benefits of it, so it's an essence hog you don't need. You're going to run into trouble when your essence point runs out. The "basic" package would be eyes w/image link and opticam, ears w/recorder, datajack. All alphaware, that comes to .62 essence (and 77,200 nuyen.gif ). To get headware, you have to invest in a router, as well. A two port router runs you .096 essence leaving you with the ability to purchase up to 84 MP of alphaware headware memory.

Whew, that was complicated. You do have some space left over for hearing mods, but not vision mods.
TheScamp
You wouldn't need the router for that setup, as the Datajack has enough free connections for all parts. That is unless you don't count all eye systems as being linked to each other automatically.
TinkerGnome
They aren't necessarily. Both the image link and eye camera need connections to various other 'ware to function and aren't necessarily linked together.
TheScamp
Which is why I put that qualifier in. Most people I've played with count the systems within eyes and ears to be linked together normally. Otherwise, it would be difficult to have multiple layered vision modes going at once, for example.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (TheScamp)
Otherwise, it would be difficult to have multiple layered vision modes going at once, for example.

It depends on the system. Thermo, lowlight, and other vision modifiers function as modifiers on the signal from the eye to the brain. They don't have to talk to each other, and they are specificly designed to talk to the eye. The image link, is similar, and doesn't require a connection to talk to the eye (it's a projector or signal modifier, after all). Getting data to display through the link does require you to link it to whatever is supplying the video/text/whatever via a datajack/router connection.

However, you can't just record what your eyes see to memory. For that you use a optical camera/camcorder of some sort which records those vision signals. These signals get sent somewhere via a connection. There's nothing in the function of either item that specificly links them together (the image link may, for instance, have whatever it's showing end up in the camcorder, but that's because they both work on the same signal, etc.). Of course, I've never had someone bring it up in a game I was running, so I might reconsider, if only for the sake of being nice.

I was actually a bit off, I think, you need to link the router and datajack together to get full effect, which ups the number of ports you need on the router. I think.
TheScamp
It depends on the system. Thermo, lowlight, and other vision modifiers function as modifiers on the signal from the eye to the brain. They don't have to talk to each other, and they are specificly designed to talk to the eye. The image link, is similar, and doesn't require a connection to talk to the eye (it's a projector or signal modifier, after all). Getting data to display through the link does require you to link it to whatever is supplying the video/text/whatever via a datajack/router connection.

Which one takes precedence if youre using all at once, then? If you've got thermo, low light, and the image link all up at once, then how does the link get overlaid on top of the other 3 sets of images without some sort of communication between them?
Kraken
I may be wrong (don't have books with me at work - damn bosses won't let me read Shadowrun all day), but doesn't the description of Headware Memory in the main rulebook describe it as being both active and storage memory. This would mean it runs programs.

Also I would think that if you can run Knowsofts, Skillsofts etc. from Headware you should be able to run other progs.
TheScamp
I may be wrong (don't have books with me at work - damn bosses won't let me read Shadowrun all day), but doesn't the description of Headware Memory in the main rulebook describe it as being both active and storage memory. This would mean it runs programs.

No, it's described as storage. You can keep data and programs there, but it's pretty clear by my reading of it that it's designed to be the equivalent of a hard drive.

Also I would think that if you can run Knowsofts, Skillsofts etc. from Headware you should be able to run other progs.

But Skillsofts need another piece of hardware to function. When using them in that way, the headware memory is nothing more than a glorified data chip.
TinkerGnome
Actually, M&M p20 says you can use headware memory as both active and storage memory for a C2. You can run programs in headware memory, you just can't run them WITH headware memory (ie, you need some external source of computing power).
BitBasher
this board is multiposting, and only getting half of the post =P
BitBasher
I'm fairly positive that M&M said that all devices in an eye or ear are autimatically linked, you only need one router jack going o the eye or ear to link all the devices within. I'd bet my left testacle on it.
Kagetenshi
That's quite a bit of certainty. Or are you not telling us something? wink.gif
I'll look that up when I get the chance, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

~J
TheScamp
Sorry folks, he keeps the testicle. MM page 46, first full paragraph in the second column:

Devices that are considered accesories to another device do not need to be linked in this way, as they are already integrally connected to the device to which they are an accessory. For example, thermographic vision does not need to be linked to a cybereye, nor does an ear recorder need to be linked to a cyberear.

So, my original point stands. If all that you're linking is HeadMem, a Datajack, Eye stuff, and Ear stuff, then you do not need a router. The Datajack has 3 free router ports built in, which conveniently matches the number of things you're tying in. Provided you're using eye and ear replacements, of course.
Kagetenshi
But what if the eye/ear stuff happens to be in a natural eye or ear?

~J
BitBasher
Yay! I get to keep my testacle!

You can't run a router to a meat part, theres absolutely no point in it. If you have a bunch of mods IN that eye, and want all of them routed then yeah, they all need to be linked individually. All the more reason to get a cybereye.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012