Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many of you play, and how many of you GM?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
It seems like a lot of the discussions here are very "How do you GM" oriented. Am I right?
Platinum
I split my time 50-50, I would play 80% of the time if I could because I have ideas I just want to see happen, and they would not unless I step up to the plate.
eidolon
GMing. It's what happens when you're the one to introduce a group to a game.
Kurb
Hmm...with so many people spending their time GMing...when do any of us get to play?
Witness
I've played SR a fair bit in the past. But it wasn't till I GMed it, and in particular came up with a campaign that was big enough in scope to want to fit it in with wider canon, that I found a place in my heart for DS.
Generally speaking I'm not here for the rules discussions. I'm here for the rest.
mfb
both. sometimes seperately, sometimes simultaneously.
Lindt
I got the books, hence Im the GM.
Kurb
QUOTE (Lindt)
I got the books, hence Im the GM.

Quick question, exactly how do your players create their characters if you are the only one with the books? Normally my players have their characters pre-created and approved before we sit down and play.
Kagetenshi
Right now, I'm in two games. I GM one, I play one. I'm trying to put a summer-long game together that I'll be GMing, but that still leaves me at 66.667%.

~J
JesterX
I do both... but I usually GM... that's why I voted GM... ^_^
eidolon
QUOTE (Kurb)
Quick question, exactly how do your players create their characters if you are the only one with the books?

That would be what character creation day is for. I don't do "pre-created".
stevebugge
I split time, though right now I'm running our groups current campaign.
Wounded Ronin
I can't play or GM anymore. Sniffle.
Oracle
Emo, you forgot the "both equally" button. Just for the records: I am GM only.
bishop186
Bah, I do neither. I'm waitin' for a game to open up here to play -- I'm pretty much still a newb to the Shadowrun world and I can't get the people I play D&D/d20 with to try Shadowrun unless I DM. Being a newb still, I don't know how well I'd do DMing -- I'm not even confident enough in my D&D skills to DM one of those games. dead.gif
Ivanhoe
This forum is very GM-oriented anyway, I think it explains the results. I wouldn't like to see my players lurk in such a nest of munchkin ideas smile.gif
Tiralee
  This forum is very GM-oriented anyway, I think it explains the results. I wouldn't like to see my players lurk in such a nest of munchkin ideas - Ivanhoe

God yes. Nothing would irritate me more than a couple of my players suddenly dumping their reasonably-fleshed out characters for something brand new and munchy

As the GM, I'm the only one allowed to do that smile.gif (NPC's people, sheesh!)

-Tir
Grinder
75% GM, 25% player. Finally convinced a player of my ED campaign to start a SR game, but we don't play it often.
nezumi
You will find in general DS attracts more GMs than foolish players. While GMs meditate upon the greater mysteries of Drop Bears and whether King Edward II was an immortal elf and if a dragon could successful powerball a building, puerile players fritter away their time on things like girlfriends or jobs or a college education. The fools.
Taran
I'm a player once and a GM once, but I definitely spend most of my time GMing. As a player all I do is show up; as a GM, I write NPCs, sketch locations, evolve elaborate plots, etc.
Lindt
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Kurb @ Jun 7 2006, 08:29 PM)
Quick question, exactly how do your players create their characters if you are the only one with the books?

That would be what character creation day is for. I don't do "pre-created".

Pretty much.
I dont want to think how much I have spent on books, and I certinyl dont expect my players to have an sr3, cc, sr comp, and a spec book (MitS, R3, m&m). Especally since my current crop of players are high school kids they dont exactly have much to throw around.
Besides, pre-creation means I have to reject the whole charcter when they have finished, insted of kicking them while they are still putting it tougther.
Brahm
QUOTE (Kurb)
Hmm...with so many people spending their time GMing...when do any of us get to play?

It would have helped a bit if the poll had multiple options, like:

GM exclusively
GM nearly all the time
GM well over half of sessions
GM about half of sessions
GM well under half of sessions
GM on rare occations
Player exclusively
Player exclusively, but I want/plan to GM in the near future
Do not play (poor Wounded Ronin frown.gif )

Me, I have done both so I voted Null. Although right now it is all player all the time, I have GMed in the past in a different group.

But overall yeah, DSF are a hardcore slice of overall Shadowrun players, and as such people that GM at least part of the time are going to be more prevalent.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Witness)
I've played SR a fair bit in the past. But it wasn't till I GMed it, and in particular came up with a campaign that was big enough in scope to want to fit it in with wider canon, that I found a place in my heart for DS.
Generally speaking I'm not here for the rules discussions. I'm here for the rest.

...this pretty much sums it up for myself. I have now ran two extended arcs (one in SR2 & the other in SR3) both which greatly expanded the existing canon.

For example, In "Drivetime" (SR2), I worked up Fuel Cell and Hybrid powerplants as well as introduced an entire line of vehicles built on these concepts. These were updated to SR3/Rigger 3 attributes and are now a staple in all my campaigns & stand alone runs. Unfortunately with version 4 (which the rest of my group has transitioned to) I have to wing it until Arsenal comes out later this year.

In "Rhapsody" (SR3), I introduced a framework for Empaths (via an NPC) which was tied to the comet and has nothing to do with magic. This will see further development in my next campaign, quite possibly becoming a PC option.

While on the subject of canon...
I'm not sure if there has been a thread or dedicated poll on the topic of how close do you stay on, or deviate from, "official" SR Canon in your campaigns.

I also agree, While sometimes I need clarification on a hazy rule now & then (to squash potential rules debates during play sessions), I prefer to stay out of most rules discussions. As it is with any game system, I take the approach - The GM's word (provided it is not asinine) is final.
Cang
I got into SR3 in Japan, then when i moved back to the US and asked around... no one played SR. So now i am the gm for my group of friends. I was playing a PC who acted more or less like a fly on the wall (he was a socially incompetent ork technomancer who was there for hacking). Now i think it is easier just to GM, but i do miss playing sometimes. I want to go " 5 karma! thats it!, but i burned down an orphanage!" cyber.gif

... and i stick to the cannon as hard as i can, i figure its easier that way because i am still trying to establish the feel of shadowrun in my players and i don't know as much as i'd like to yet.
James McMurray
There really should have been a "both" option. My group swaps out GMing Shadowrun. We've never done it for other systems though, which I've always thought was curious.
Butterblume
Hm. 80% of my SR time might easily be spend for reading DS and the german Fanpro SR forum ...
ZenOgre
Currently tasked with GM. Though I'd love it if one of my players would step up and let me be a player while they GM.
Snow_Fox
I like how you asked how we spend most of our time. I can GM. I like to GM, but I am usually a player.
emo samurai
QUOTE (Snow Fox)
I like how you asked how we spend most of our time.

Does that mean you don't like how I'm asking for undeserved insight into your lives, between this and my occupations thread? frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012