Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 counterspelling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Dr. Dodge
does the fact that there is no limit to the number of targets who can benefit seem unbalancing to anyone else?
Geekkake
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)
does the fact that there is no limit to the number of targets who can benefit seem unbalancing to anyone else?

Well, keeping them in LOS is reasonable enough to me. I mean, think about it, once you start getting into the larger numbers (say, over five), it's gonna be hard to keep them all together, especially after a Powerbelt slips through your counterspelling and someone's eyeballs pop out of their skull in a shower of gore.
Glayvin34
No, what seems unbalancing to me is that non-mages have no way to effectively counter spells. All they get is Willpower. If there's no mage in your team or your mage is spending his actions doing some other than counterspelling for you, you get blasted.
mdynna
There is a limit. They have to been within the Mage's LoS. That seems limited enough for me.

Keep in mind that an attacking Mage gets to roll Spellcasting + Magic and a defender usually only gets Will/Bod (+ Counterspelling). So, without Counterspelling it's 2 DP's against 1.
mdynna
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
No, what seems unbalancing to me is that non-mages have no way to effectively counter spells. All they get is Willpower. If there's no mage in your team or your mage is spending his actions doing some other than counterspelling for you, you get blasted.

But the Mage doesn't have to spend any actions to Counterspell. It "turns on" with a Free action and is maintainance-free afterward. I like the fact that you need magic to counter magic. SR4 has also added the need for a Hacker/TM to counter a Hacker/TM.
GrinderTheTroll
Looking at magic from a SR3 point-of-view it seems as much, but given the lack of dice targets get to roll, it's very helpful for both PCs and NPCs.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
No, what seems unbalancing to me is that non-mages have no way to effectively counter spells.  All they get is Willpower.  If there's no mage in your team or your mage is spending his actions doing some other than counterspelling for you, you get blasted.

Well, counterspelling is a free action, so unless they're feeling particularly gabby, they'll probably have an action to do it. And this is the SR4 forum, so this may be heresy, but "historically" magic has always been hard to defend against for mundanes.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge @ Jun 12 2006, 05:27 PM)

Well, keeping them in LOS is reasonable enough to me. I mean, think about it, once you start getting into the larger numbers (say, over five), it's gonna be hard to keep them all together, especially after a Powerbelt slips through your counterspelling and someone's eyeballs pop out of their skull in a shower of gore.

True LOS is an inherent limit, I was just curious if anyone thought it was too much, but the consensus seems to be, with magic, more help is welcome.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (mdynna)
I like the fact that you need magic to counter magic.  SR4 has also added the need for a Hacker/TM to counter a Hacker/TM.

Actually, putting it that way, i like the way it sounds.
Glayvin34
For whatever reason I thought there was an action to counterspell someone else. I don't know Mages that well.

Maybe it's just because I'm new to SR and used to systems where Magic isn't so dominant. On the average run that our team does, the Mage tends to eliminate with extreme alacrity all of the non-Mage metahumans before the Gunbunny or Axe-Troll gets near them. This is because he has around 15 dice for Stunball, and no one has anything but Willpower to resist, and he attacks from the Astral. No other attack is so powerful or hard to resist. Guns can't hit more than three targets, and melee attacks are resisted by Dodge and Reaction or more if you want to use up an action. And from the Astral most opponents have no idea where the attacks are coming from and certainly can't fight back.

You don't NEED a Hacker/TM to be safe in the Matrix, just a high Firewall and some Agents, because they don't require skills. You NEED a mage to get protection from spells.
I think that non-Mages should be allowed to bind a single counterspelling focus, or have Spirits to protect them. But that's just me.
Squinky
Umm, he shouldn't be able to attack folks from the astral plane, unless they are on that plane also. For normal circumstances, he needs to be in on the same plane as them....
Shrike30
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
Maybe it's just because I'm new to SR and used to systems where Magic isn't so dominant. On the average run that our team does, the Mage tends to eliminate with extreme alacrity all of the non-Mage metahumans before the Gunbunny or Axe-Troll gets near them. This is because he has around 15 dice for Stunball, and no one has anything but Willpower to resist, and he attacks from the Astral.

Small nitpick: you can only cast spells at targets on the same plane as you. This means no dumping spells directly out of the astral onto people's heads while you telecommute from home.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jun 12 2006, 05:54 PM)
Umm, he shouldn't be able to attack folks from the astral plane, unless they are on that plane also. For normal circumstances, he needs to be in on the same plane as them....

'Scuse me. He attacks while astrally projecting, not from the actual astral plane. So he Manifests, gets the drop on a group of enemies, and blasts them all with stunball, then whizzes off at the speed of thought to his next target.

Those enemies should be able to have counterspell so that they have a chance in hell.
Shrike30
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I get materialization and manifesting mixed up, but I know that spirits can do both, while projecting characters can do one. The one that projecting characters can NOT do is the one that lets you cast spells on the physical plane, because it makes spirits dual-natured. Projecting mages have no way of getting to the physical plane without going back to their body (though they can manifest (i think that's the one) on it), so they can't project to another location and cast spells on targets on the physical plane.
Squinky
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jun 12 2006, 05:54 PM)

'Scuse me. He attacks while astrally projecting, not from the actual astral plane. So he Manifests, gets the drop on a group of enemies, and blasts them all with stunball, then whizzes off at the speed of thought to his next target.

Those enemies should be able to have counterspell so that they have a chance in hell.

Still doesn't work that way, for obvious game balance reasons.
ornot
IIRC when a mage manifests they can only talk and wave their ghosty arms about. They are still on the astral plane, still incorporeal and still unable to interact with the physical world.

I've not got my RAW with me, but I recall in SR3 that spells cast while astrally projecting always caused physical drain. They may have changed that, but if not your mage is going to have some mighty bad nosebleeds or worse!
Xenith
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ Jun 12 2006, 04:48 PM)
You don't NEED a Hacker/TM to be safe in the Matrix, just a high Firewall and some Agents, because they don't require skills.  You NEED a mage to get protection from spells.
I think that non-Mages should be allowed to bind a single counterspelling focus, or have Spirits to protect them.  But that's just me.

Well having a high willpower or body doesn't require skills either.... or even a high reaction against indirect combat spells... hmm.... OH! OH! Theres also the thing where cover and various other perception mods affect magic casting... while a hacker doesn't need anything but to detect your node... and private mode makes your commlink useless anyway... and the other thing that balances magic versus tech is DRAIN. That fireball you're whining is sooo powerful... kinda knocks a caster on their proverbial ass. Even a powerball does so to a lesser extent. Casting becomes a direct risk rather than an indirect one as hacking.

Thing is, look, I've played with this, and I agree with the game creators as to the balance aspect. If you have a character that you are so worried about... give them Magic Resistance. Those guys are a mages worst nightmare, End of Fragging Story. And get this, since I know this will make you go into confusion induced seizures; magic, in certain circumstances, will have an advantage... shocking I know. So does Hacking, Brute Force, and Social interaction... quell surprise please.

But to finish, Spellcasting and Counterspelling are neither underpowered, nor crazy powerful. They. Are. Just. Fine.

But that can't stop you from houseruling, just be prepared for things to get wacky...

rotate.gif wobble.gif spin.gif
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Squinky)
Still doesn't work that way, for obvious game balance reasons.

I thought that was messed up. Now I can't wait to boot that Mage off his high horse. He thinks he's SOOO wiz.

QUOTE (Xenith)
Well having a high willpower or body doesn't require skills either.... or even a high reaction against indirect combat spells... hmm.... OH! OH! Theres also the thing where cover and various other perception mods affect magic casting...

Area-effect spells work well against cover or perception mods.

QUOTE (Xenith)
while a hacker doesn't need anything but to detect your node... and private mode makes your commlink useless anyway... and the other thing that balances magic versus tech is DRAIN. That fireball you're whining is sooo powerful... kinda knocks a caster on their proverbial ass. Even a powerball does so to a lesser extent. Casting becomes a direct risk rather than an indirect one as hacking.

And I find Drain to be a little toothless, our Mage has 20 dice to roll to resist Drain (8 Logic + 8 Willpower + Focused Concentration + something else, I can't remember), and he can tends to overcast so he can use Heal on himself.

QUOTE (Xenith)
Thing is, look, I've played with this, and I agree with the game creators as to the balance aspect. If you have a character that you are so worried about... give them Magic Resistance. Those guys are a mages worst nightmare, End of Fragging Story.

Magic Resistance? 20 BP for a whole +4? A +4 on the defense roll is a Mage's worst nightmare? I hope the target doesn't use edge, the Mage might die of fright. Not to mention that counts against Healing spells and you can't be the target of other helpful spells for willing targets.

QUOTE (Xenith)
And get this, since I know this will make you go into confusion induced seizures; magic, in certain circumstances, will have an advantage... shocking I know. So does Hacking, Brute Force, and Social interaction... quell surprise please.

But to finish, Spellcasting and Counterspelling are neither underpowered, nor crazy powerful. They. Are. Just. Fine.

Confusion induced Seizures? Did I inadvertantly dis your mom? I said above I'm new to SR and not used to magic-dominated games. Gimme a fraggin' break.
Squinky
Well, I guess there is a reason you should gank the mage first, heh. Mage characters pay for their magic just like sams do for cyber, so it should be pretty useful...Most of them can't stand up to a face to face fight.

I'm not sure how your mage friend got an intuition of 8 and willpower of eight, but it sounds like he is out of hand, even if he stops getting the jump on people from astral. The common mage character will probably not be that tweaked...So, if you are basing a persons ability to resist magic based off of this character it isn't accurate to potray the norm.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
No, what seems unbalancing to me is that non-mages have no way to effectively counter spells.  All they get is Willpower.  If there's no mage in your team or your mage is spending his actions doing some other than counterspelling for you, you get blasted.

Well, counterspelling is a free action, so unless they're feeling particularly gabby, they'll probably have an action to do it. And this is the SR4 forum, so this may be heresy, but "historically" magic has always been hard to defend against for mundanes.

This isn't true. In SR3 it was quite possible to build a starting mundane character who was all but immune to combat spells due to high casting TNs.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Squinky)
Well, I guess there is a reason you should gank the mage first, heh. Mage characters pay for their magic just like sams do for cyber, so it should be pretty useful...Most of them can't stand up to a face to face fight.

I'm not sure how your mage friend got an intuition of 8 and willpower of eight, but it sounds like he is out of hand, even if he stops getting the jump on people from astral. The common mage character will probably not be that tweaked...So, if you are basing a persons ability to resist magic based off of this character it isn't accurate to potray the norm.

Sustaining Foci 3 that sustain Increase [Logic] and Increase [Willpower]. From 5 to 8 with some ease. But that is true that I should not see that Mage character as the norm. The Player who plays him is one of those guys that MUST be able to kill anything with one roll. I'm sure you know the type. He's just as twinky in RL.

The main reason I think that Magic is unbalanced is that if you sink a bunch of BP into Pistols or Rigging skills or something, then you can shoot people or command a bunch of drones, respectively. If you sink a bunch of BP into magic and spellcasting so you can be a good Social Mage or Hacker Mage or whatever, you just need to spend 3 more BP to get a single combat spell and you're already on par with a Gunbunny who is maxed out for guns.

BUT! I'm new to SR so my opinions will certainly fluctuate as time progresses. And in meantime I'll just play a Mage grinbig.gif .
James McMurray
A skill monkey can be a good gunman, hacker, and face without any magic. He won't be the best at any of them, but neither is the mage the best at any of them except the one he focuses on.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (James McMurray)
A skill monkey can be a good gunman, hacker, and face without any magic. He won't be the best at any of them, but neither is the mage the best at any of them except the one he focuses on.

I guess. There are some entire skill groups that can be covered with a few spells, though.
A mage with the spells Stealth, Invisibility and/or Hush is going to be better at being stealthy than a chacter with a 4 in the Stealth skill group.
Pistols or Longarms 4 doesn't compare with Powerball, Manaball, Stunball and all their associates. Those spells ignore armor and have a roughly equivalent DV, and can hit more enemies at once at a closer range than a grenade. Without recoil, ammo or anything. If you want close combat, cast Armor and/or Physical barrier.
A mage with Control Emotions and Mind Probe is a fairly effective Face, with some exceptions.
A vigilant GM would be a good defense against the above abuses, as would Astral protection. But a mage can have a combination of the above sets and be an Astral Badass with starting BP.
And that's fine, Mages don't get skillwires or suprathyroid glands or platelet factories, but it really pigeonholes you into Mage or Cyberperson. But I guess I don't really care, both are fun to play, and versatile at that, I just wanted to prove my point. talker.gif
talker.gif talker.gif
grinbig.gif
oh, and poor TMs are out in the cold
ornot
Sounds like your mage buddy is seriously twinked. 2 sustaining foci on all the time? He'd glow like a beacon on the astral, and there are quiet a lot of things out there whose attention you don't want to get! At least that's the way my GM always played it.

Incidentally I really don't think AoE magic spells bypass cover modifiers. I know they didn't in SR3.

Magic is powerful, but that's why it's a 30 BP(?) quality. After sinking BPs into Magic, Spells, and maybe Foci you aren't left with a great number for the rest of your attributes, necessary skills and the rest.

As a result I still don't get how your mage buddy can be chucking around such huge handfuls of dice (clearly no lack in the skill or attribute department) wander around with a bunch of bound foci (which cost BP for nuyen and BP to even bind at creation).

Regardless he needs to be brought down to earth, as there are plenty of things a mage just can't do. Data-steals, B&E, smuggling runs (border security can be a b*tch), that kind of thing. And you might want to point out to your trigger happy mage, or the GM, that high force spells leave quite an imprint on the background for some time (1 hour per force level IIRC) which can be spotted and recorded by magical CSI!
Jaid
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
QUOTE (James McMurray)

I guess. There are some entire skill groups that can be covered with a few spells, though.
A mage with the spells Stealth, Invisibility and/or Hush is going to be better at being stealthy than a chacter with a 4 in the Stealth skill group.
Pistols or Longarms 4 doesn't compare with Powerball, Manaball, Stunball and all their associates. Those spells ignore armor and have a roughly equivalent DV, and can hit more enemies at once at a closer range than a grenade. Without recoil, ammo or anything. If you want close combat, cast Armor and/or Physical barrier.
A mage with Control Emotions and Mind Probe is a fairly effective Face, with some exceptions.
A vigilant GM would be a good defense against the above abuses, as would Astral protection. But a mage can have a combination of the above sets and be an Astral Badass with starting BP.
And that's fine, Mages don't get skillwires or suprathyroid glands or platelet factories, but it really pigeonholes you into Mage or Cyberperson. But I guess I don't really care, both are fun to play, and versatile at that, I just wanted to prove my point. talker.gif
talker.gif talker.gif
grinbig.gif
oh, and poor TMs are out in the cold

a few things.

first off, AOE does squat for visibility when you're talking about direct AOE spells (like stunball for example). in order for AOE to ignore visibility mods, you're looking for indirect spells... like fireball. you know, the spell that has a DV considerably higher than stunball. those ones. so, as a matter of fact, your mage absolutely has to see his targets when he's tossing stunballs around. clearly today is your lucky day, you get to knock him down *two* pegs, not just one =D

as far as invisibility, actually... it's good in the right circumstances. but useless against someone who can astrally perceive, or has ultrasound, for example. which, incidentally, normal stealth still helps against both of those things. also, unless you're talking about the physical (ie not mana) invisibility, then drones, cameras, and so forth can see right through it.

Pistols 4 and Longarms 4 may not compare to stunball, but have you tried an ares alpha with gas grenades? ignores standard armor, good damage, and hard to resist the damage. and the radius on a gas grenade is no laughing matter... if you're up against large enough groups that the radius on one of these bad boys isn't enough, then you're playing some messed up games. this also works to some extent with flashbangs, iirc. as far as your closer range comment... i suspect this may be peg number 3. you CANNOT pick and choose your targets within the area of the stunball. everyone you can see is hit. that is all. it is not "kill all the badguys within the area", it hits everything you can see, whether you like it or not. if there is any advantage to spells, it is their long range, not their short range. and also, the grenade launcher has the advantage of not requiring you to punch yourself in the face when you want to shoot it.

armor is all very nice for close combat, but ultimately is not the ultimate solution, unless we're talking about truly massive quantities of it.

control emotions/mind probe can be useful. until that mob boss resists it and proceeds to painfully dismember you and everyone you have ever associated with, that is.
Squinky
Of all the tips given to you today, I think this one is the most important.

Ask your GM and the Mage character to actually read the magic chapter. I'm not intending to be rude, but things will start working right if they do that. I've noticed a lot of folks on the boards recomending house rules to fix problems that wouldn't be there if the rules were used correctly.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Glayvin34)

...as a player of mundanes and the occasional adept (who has more important things to spend those precious few power points on), I must concur.
ornot
Tom Kyoto Kid: When I GM I feel it is important to tailor a game to the players' characters. If they have no mage, then it is rare that they'll have to go up against one, certainly not one as powerful as a starting character mage can be, Magic people being super rare and all.

Sure, as GM you can throw 3 rank 2 initiates with stun spells in front of the party and watch the characters go down like skittles. There's nothing to stop you throwing a Great Dragon in their faces either, except that it would make a short and quite boring game.

Part of the skill of being a GM is tailoring the run to suit the players available.

Of course if your team does have a mage and he isn't keeping a proper astral overwatch then it's your job to school him!
Eyeless Blond
Also note that there is some controversy over whether Heal will even work on magical Drain. In SR3 it very explicedly didn't; in SR4 there just happens to be less said on the matter. If your mage is really cheesing up the place I'd try to get your GM to flop to the (saner) side of that debate, that magical healing can't heal magical Drain.

Three pegs.

Next, have your GM use Wards from time to time. They're relatively cheap to set up, though not as cheap as in SR3 as the average mage's Magic attribute has cut nearly in half. Those wards will force the mage to drop his sustained spells or have to take down the ward, which causes as many problems as setting off an alarm. Alternatively even a Watcher could be on the lookout for auras carrying powerful sustained spells; not even an idiot SR4 Watcher gimp could miss a guy lit up like a lighthouse on the astral. Oh, and don't forget hellhounds and the like love the taste of glowy astral mage.

Four pegs. smile.gif

Mages trade Incredible Cosmic Power for a host of special weaknesses that affect only them. More of those weaknesses, like background count, will show up with Street Magic, but then so does more power, so it all balances out.
Eyeless Blond
But yeah, Willpower used to matter a lot more in SR3, where it also increased the TN to affect your character. Then, as now, only a fool will be caught with much less than the max level in that attribute (4-5 now, 5-6 in SR3) though now it doesn't help quite as much.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge @ Jun 12 2006, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (Glayvin34)

This isn't true. In SR3 it was quite possible to build a starting mundane character who was all but immune to combat spells due to high casting TNs.

Well since you still only roll body or willpower to resist (as you did in SR3) I'll assume you mean having a high body or will (5 or 6?) which would still have a similar effect in SR4 (as a hit is on 5 or 6, i'm not one to bust out any statistics, plus assuming a force rating of 5 or 6, which i don't consider unlikely) but it seems to me that either way you're rolling one stat against either just sorcery (which would generally be higher in SR3) or sorcery + spell pool (SR3-wise). I know from my gaming experience mages usually had the advantage in firepower (though w/o quickened reflexes they would also get geeked quick). Everybody knows you hit the troll with the stunbolt!
James McMurray
QUOTE (Jaid)
control emotions/mind probe can be useful. until that mob boss resists it and proceeds to painfully dismember you and everyone you have ever associated with, that is.

He doesn't have to resist. Unless you kill him he'll know he was probed and/or controlled and will be incredibly pissed.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jun 12 2006, 07:39 PM)

Sustaining Foci 3 that sustain Increase [Logic] and Increase [Willpower]. From 5 to 8 with some ease. But that is true that I should not see that Mage character as the norm. The Player who plays him is one of those guys that MUST be able to kill anything with one roll. I'm sure you know the type. He's just as twinky in RL.

The main reason I think that Magic is unbalanced is that if you sink a bunch of BP into Pistols or Rigging skills or something, then you can shoot people or command a bunch of drones, respectively. If you sink a bunch of BP into magic and spellcasting so you can be a good Social Mage or Hacker Mage or whatever, you just need to spend 3 more BP to get a single combat spell and you're already on par with a Gunbunny who is maxed out for guns.

BUT! I'm new to SR so my opinions will certainly fluctuate as time progresses. And in meantime I'll just play a Mage grinbig.gif .

Just another sidenote: for the spell Increase [Attribute] the force of the spell must equal or exceed the (augmented) value of the attribute being affected. So, since his logic and willpower are base 5, that means he needs to cast the increase attribute spell at force 5 or higher. This means that his sustaining foci will have to be at least rating 5 to sustain the spells. For one, this is important, because the availibility on a sustaining focus is (Force x 4)R. Which means a rating 5 would have an availibility of 20R, and be unavailable at chargen. Also, a rating 5 would cost 50,000. Not exactly something to scoff at. Add to that, since you can't get it in chargen, it'll also take 10 karma to bond it.

Next, any security mage that even glances at this guy will see these very powerful spells on sustaining foci. You can use counterspelling to dispell a sustained spell. This is done in the form of counterspelling + magic vs force + original casters magic. Each net hit the security mage gets also drops the guys improved attributes. Until the spell goes away, in which case your friend would then have to recast his spells.

Frankly, I think you and him both need to go through the magic section a few more times, asking questions in threads on DS here as needed, until you get the rules down.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Frankly, I think you and him both need to go through the magic section a few more times, asking questions in threads on DS here as needed, until you get the rules down.

No drek. wobble.gif
I hadn't really taken a good look at the Magic chapter, I play a cybered Hacker. And the Player that plays the Mage is so like he is, he's wasn't worth arguing with. Not being the GM I just assumed he designed a character that was absurdly potent in physical combat, which was mutually exclusive with my Hacker's ability to, say, hack LoneStar and label him a wanted criminal.
I knew I should have just posted his character on the forums here and let everyone nerf him, looks like it might be time for that. Maybe next session I'll demand his stats. vegm.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ornot)
Sure, as GM you can throw 3 rank 2 initiates with stun spells in front of the party and watch the characters go down like skittles. There's nothing to stop you throwing a Great Dragon in their faces either, except that it would make a short and quite boring game.

..actually have had both of these instances occur (particularly the latter).

This is why I have so many characters in the "Home for Retired Runners".
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 12 2006, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (Glayvin34)

Well since you still only roll body or willpower to resist (as you did in SR3) I'll assume you mean having a high body or will (5 or 6?) which would still have a similar effect in SR4 (as a hit is on 5 or 6, i'm not one to bust out any statistics, plus assuming a force rating of 5 or 6, which i don't consider unlikely) but it seems to me that either way you're rolling one stat against either just sorcery (which would generally be higher in SR3) or sorcery + spell pool (SR3-wise). I know from my gaming experience mages usually had the advantage in firepower (though w/o quickened reflexes they would also get geeked quick). Everybody knows you hit the troll with the stunbolt!

No. I mean a high stat around 8 or 9. In SR3 any race can easily get a body of 9 or greater with cyberware and any race an get a willpower of 9 or greater by abusing edges and flaws.

At TN 9 a mage will have about a 1/9 chance of getting a success which averages out to about 1 success per spell a starting mage who throws in spell pool and 0 success for one who does not. At a TN of 6 the mundane will average 1 success every 6 dice this averages 1 success per resistance roll. The two cancel each other out. A mage with no net successes fails.

If you want to create a dedicated mundane anti-magicker you can have a gnome with 11 Willpower, 12 Body, and +4 dice for all magic resistance tests and still have room left over for other things. With a TN of 11 a magician will get a single success roughly every 18 dice. With a TN of 12 a magician will averge a success every 39 dice. The gnome will still be facing TNs of 6 or less and will average 2 success on every resistance test at the very least.

And, if you were really crazy you could become a ghoul for a chance at an extra +1 willpower.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge @ Jun 13 2006, 02:35 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 12 2006, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (Glayvin34)

And this is the SR4 forum, so this may be heresy, but "historically" magic has always been hard to defend against for mundanes.

Well since you still only roll body or willpower to resist (as you did in SR3) I'll assume you mean having a high body or will (5 or 6?) which would still have a similar effect in SR4

No. I mean a high stat around 8 or 9. In SR3 any race can easily get a body of 9 or greater with cyberware and any race an get a willpower of 9 or greater by abusing edges and flaws.

i edited out some of our quotes since it was getting huge. hopefully nothing too imporant.

Well, I'm not sure what to say. This certainly is an extreme circumstance (is everyone in the group going to be gnome ghouls?). And considering we haven't had anything like the companion come out yet for SR4 to abuse, I don't think there is much to compare except straight up characters created from the main books. And I see how you could start off with a willpower of 7 with edges, but i'm not seeing how 8 or 9 is possible with any char (7 is pretty good though if mages scare you badly)
hyzmarca
Exceptional attribute + Bonus Attribute Point + Albinism gives you an extra 3 willpower to start with and increases you racial maximum by 1 or 2.
Xenith
Meh. The whole "Magic is too powerful" thing is annoying really.

And an area effect spell can be resisted with Reaction in addition to everything else, so they're not all that overpowered.. in fact with that drain (and if you have a mage that rolls 20+ to resist drain... thats insane. I find 12 or 13 dice to be crazy frankly...) it makes up for it. If you as a GM think that a mage is too powerful... then level an intangible penalty on them... like background count in major structures, sami that geek the mage first because they know what comes next, or even... simply having a mage on the opposing team. Done correctly, the mages focus on each other and cancel each other out while still making both important. Ever read a few of the later sword of Truth novels? They bring up that point and I find that it makes alot of sense.

In fact... have them duke it out while manifesting on the astral plane... now thats something... watching two mages fight at the speed of thought... I would almost compare it to DBZ.... XD

Make the best of it and you might find that much of this complaining about how balanced it is matters nil. Bend it, break it, but don't dis it til you've tried it.

And I'm simply sarcastic, it wasn't meant only for you by any means.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Xenith)
And I'm simply sarcastic, it wasn't meant only for you by any means.

I find sarcasm to be the best method for the informed to communicate with the ignorant.
And sharpen up your sarcasm stick, because I refuse to believe that the Mage in our team is as potent as he says he is, so I'll post his character stats on the boards here and see what everyone can pick apart.

And this background count thing seems like a really good idea, but absent in SR4. I doubt they'll add something so central to the game with Street Magic, but I guess we'll see.
James McMurray
If it's anything like SR3, just firing a gun will cause a background count of 1. The mere act of casting an offensive spell causes background count.

And an area effect spell can be resisted with Reaction in addition to everything else

Area effect elemental spells are dodged with reaction. Area effect non-elemental spells are resisted with body or willpower.
Xenith
Psht. Easy enough to add to SR4 til replacement rules come out. Just temporarily reduce their magic by the background count rating. Generally places of horrible murder, experimention against nature (the hardcore kind), massive amounts of negative emotions (a riot of certain size could create something like that) and the mobile cyberzombie can do this just by being in a place for longer than an hour....

Basically anything that might horrify, sicken, or enrage you could give a background count... it just has to be strong somehow...

Alternately, you could instead apply a dice pool penalty equal to the rating... maybe even apply this to counterspelling dice.

And then theres the ever fun mana spike.... but thats for another day. grinbig.gif

----
Edit: And non-elemental area spells are affected by perception mods... ;P
Even in SR3 it took something with a strong emotion... I generally take that to be something very strong and usual. Unique circumstances if you will. One murder won't do it unless the act invoked something twisted and wrong within either person. A bunch of murders over time in the same place generally require that insanity. And so on...
Also... defiling nature (ie heavy pollution of oil slick or radioactivity degree) could also create background count...
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Exceptional attribute + Bonus Attribute Point + Albinism gives you an extra 3 willpower to start with and increases you racial maximum by 1 or 2.

well i would file that under metahuman variants as opposed to edges and flaws, though the outcome is the same. I still stand by my first statement that it has been "historically" hard to resist spells for mundanes. By twinking out a mundane you can make him pretty tough to cast against (SR3), but that's using a lot of optional rules, and certainly is not the norm for anybody, PC or NPC alike. I haven't run into too many albino koboruko shadowrunner teams.
Eugene
QUOTE (mdynna)
There is a limit. They have to been within the Mage's LoS. That seems limited enough for me.

Keep in mind that an attacking Mage gets to roll Spellcasting + Magic and a defender usually only gets Will/Bod (+ Counterspelling). So, without Counterspelling it's 2 DP's against 1.

That's not any different from 3rd edition, as I recall.
fool
In 3rd edition, the protected character had to be sithin magicx10 m.
and it used uop sorcery dice that could otherwise have been used for spell casting.
Spell protection in sr 3 was a real pain in the ass to track and deal with. The new system is much much better in that regard.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Xenith)
Edit: And non-elemental area spells are affected by perception mods... ;P
Even in SR3 it took something with a strong emotion... I generally take that to be something very strong and usual. Unique circumstances if you will. One murder won't do it unless the act invoked something twisted and wrong within either person. A bunch of murders over time in the same place generally require that insanity. And so on...
Also... defiling nature (ie heavy pollution of oil slick or radioactivity degree) could also create background count...

You're talking high background counts, like 3-4 or above. Radioactivity and toxic waste would give you a 4 or 5, even. Background counts as high as 2 are relatively common. Your run-of-the-mill office building with its fill of depressed people has a background count of 1, as would just about anywhere in Redmond. Even a dance club would probably generate a background count of 1 in SR3; emotions don't have to be negative to charge the ambient mana. The scene of a particularly bad murder or series of murders would have a background count of 2, so feel free to jack it up a little after your super-mage kills off his first few guards with those overcharged fireballs of his.
Lagomorph
I agree with glayvin, the dynamic gets messed up. In every test for the rest of the game, you have an Attribute+skill to roll in any test, except when you're caught with out a mage and some one decides to stun ball you? And if that happens you'll on average only be able to roll 1/2 as many dice as your attacker? It seems like a violation of a fundamental and ubiquitous rule in SR4.

A way around this would be to allow any character to train the counterspelling skill for personal use only. So that just like dodge/athletics, if you don't have it, you don't have it. But if you do have it, you're on equal footing.
James McMurray
Compare spells to guns. Spells are all or nothing. Guns will almost always hurt a little if the shooter is any good. Guns have near infinite ammo, you just have to reload every now an then. Spells can hurt you when you cast them.

The two are about equal on paper, but having seen twinked casters and twinked gun bunnies, the gun bunnies always do a lot more damage. They don't need magic to give them multiple initiative passes. They can shoot two people per turn instead of one. If you go the AoE route they can do two big area bursts per round (or smaller area bursts if friendlies are near).

Combat spells and combat gear are fairly well balanced. Magic's real problems arise in only a few instances:

1) Mind Control. A well timed Mind Control spell will take several opponents out of a battle, open almost any door, and disarm even the burliest troll. It's even worse if they're willing to take the drain for a high force Mob Mind spell.

2) There's little magical opposition. Remember that anything the players can do the enemies can also do. Mind Control swings both ways, as do high force mana balls, mind probes, and Turning to Goo. But it takes magical foes to have that door swing.

3) The rules aren't being followed. This one is the most usual one I see. If you misinterpret the rules you can give the mage vast amounts of power. From things as crazy as allowing manifested mages to cast on the physical plane to as little as letting them walk anywhere they want to go with high force foci active.
fool
besides, when trying not to get hit by bullets or melee weapons, you still only get 1 attribute and no skill (unless on full defense in which case you don't get to do anything else.)
The topic of the post though wasn't whether magic is too powerful, but rather if counterspelling was too powerful, and I have to say no. Counterspelling is a skill only. You don't get magic+skill, just skill, and adding 4-7d just isn't that great of thing especially when you have to use up precious foci slots to get past that level of 4 or 5, and each focus only works on one particular spell category.
In other words, counterspelling will mitigate the results of another mages spells, but it won't completely erase most of them.
For example take your average starting mage (or mine at least) casting spells with 12 d (skill+m@5 and force 2 power focus) Now most of my targets are going to get 4 d to resist or 8/9 with counterspelling. I'm still going to frag with the fraggers, but I won't autokill them.
James McMurray
With bullets you get reaction + body + armor. The difference comes in that it's easier to get a lot more dice and higher base DV with bullets than with magic. And magic is completey negated if they get as many successes as you got or the force of the spell, whichever is lower. A bullet that gets 1 net success is almost gauranteed to do some damage.

And of course magic doesn't have a full auto option. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012