Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (BBB p232)
... they can reach out and tap in - giving them instant access to the wireless Matrix...

Is this proof that technomancers can only access the Matrix through wireless nodes?

In other words, can a technomancer gain access to a node if it doesn't have a wireless connection? And is there a rule that states this either way? One of my players told me that his technomancer could simply reach out and touch any computer, wireless or not. I decided against him, even though I couldn't find a rule.

Eyeless Blond
Read further. Basically technomancers are living commlinks who use weird skill-like programs called Channels instead of hacker programs. If it weren't for their ability to break off pieces of Matrix code to do work for them (sprites) they would really be nothing more than slightly underpowered meat-only hackers, that can't get datajacks because it makes them less in-tune with machines.

Can you tell I liked Otaku better? nyahnyah.gif
Synner
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Jun 13 2006, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE (BBB p232)
... they can reach out and tap in - giving them instant access to the wireless Matrix...

Is this proof that technomancers can only access the Matrix through wireless nodes?
In other words, can a technomancer gain access to a node if it doesn't have a wireless connection? And is there a rule that states this either way? One of my players told me that his technomancer could simply reach out and touch any computer, wireless or not. I decided against him, even though I couldn't find a rule.

The rules say that for all intents and purposes technomancers are organic commlinks. Implicit is the fact that they can only do what a commlink does. The rules also state that technomancers subscribe to nodes just like any normal commlink, and that effectively means that the node needs to possess active wireless capability. This does not mean a technomancer cannot hack a non-wireless system, it just means he has to do it like any hacker would: by physically linking up his commlink (in this case his modified brain) to the system - either through a datajack, a wired commlink or (if the system is equiped to interface with it) skinlink.

This is indeed a bummer since it appears that the Technomancer needs to implant cyber to do it (though there's at least one blatantly obvious way around not having to implant) which in turn messes with his Resonance.

Why cyber, or indeed any implant, messes with his ability to tap the Wireless Matrix is currently unknown, but it might have something to do with whatever distinguishes a technomancer from an otaku in the first place --- but we'll be getting to that soon enough.
ornot
Technomancers are a little off as far as I can tell. I debated a house rule rounding resonance up instead of down, so they could get a minimal amount of cyber (such as the ever useful datajack, for jacking in) but decided against it.

As I see it the big edge TMs get over regular hackers is the aforementioned sprites and the ability to thread programs to do whatever they wish on the fly. They also have a number of disadvantages though, such as taking stun damage when attacked in the matrix instead of just being dumped like a regular matrix user.

As far as reaching out and touching a computer, I'm assuming you meant with his mind, from a distance. That I would dissallow however, I would permit a TM to access a non-wireless machine through physical contact with it, giving them another slight edge over regular hackers (who would have to take the time to pull out their fibreoptic cable and jack in) and removing the need for the resonance eating datajack. Otherwise they simply can't access non-wireless machines which is quite a substantial nerf.

It's a bit of a shame that there aren't any ATMs in SR, as I now have the mental image of a TM going up to use one, touching it, hacking in and making it spit out all the money s/he wants!
Witness
QUOTE (Synner)
but we'll be getting to that soon enough.

I'll bet your 'soon enough' isn't quite as soon as our 'soon enough'. wink.gif
Eryk the Red
I can't really see any reason a technomancer should ever need a datajack or any other mundane means of connecting to a device (like trodes). If you come up to a device with no wireless capabilities but which has an I/O jack you can connect your comm (or whatever) to, you just plug your machine into the device. Then you access your device wirelessly (because you didn't disengage your device's Signal) and you access the offending device through the wire connection. TMs are no worse off than mundane hackers in that sense.
Tarantula
Everyone seems to forget that trodes are just as good as a datajack now for hacking. No penalties, they're the same. So mages/technomancers don't need to worry about wasting essence on a datajack when all they need to do is pick up a trode net.
hobgoblin
or just paint them on from a tube of goo...
Tarantula
If you wanted to... I just think a trode net would be easier overall than wiping paste on, then using a rag to wipe it off. Then later wiping it on again, and so on.
TW
QUOTE (Witness @ Jun 13 2006, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 13 2006, 06:42 AM)
but we'll be getting to that soon enough.

I'll bet your 'soon enough' isn't quite as soon as our 'soon enough'. wink.gif

probably not, but how about 'very soon' then? At least some (official) 'nerps for thoughts' are in the pipeline ... cyber.gif
Butterblume
I don't believe a TM can use his technomancy when using a datajack or trodes (he could only use 'regular hacking').

Skinlink: I houseruled that TMs have inherit skinlinks capabilities. Makes sense, more fun and negates the disadvantage when using the commlink to hack into a wireless device in an area where wifi activity is monitored.
Witness
QUOTE (Butterblume)
I don't believe a TM can use his technomancy when using a datajack or trodes (he could only use 'regular hacking').

That really wouldn't make much sense. Reference?
Butterblume
Only this:
QUOTE (p.232)
This subliminal sense not only functions in the VR of the Matrix, but in the real world as well, where technomancers can “feel” the wireless data traffic flowing through the airwaves around them.
In fact, the neural pathways and brain chemistry of technomancers are altered to such an extent that they can reach out and tap in—giving them instant access to the wireless Matrix, no electronics or cyberware required.

It's more a belief how technomancers work (after all, how would you connect the datajack/internal commlink to the brain, or set the trodes, if you don't know how the brain of the TM is altered, and what causes his abilities in the first place...). Ruleswise, especially if you give the TM skinlink ability, it works basically the same.
(You even could use your Trodes wireless capability without putting them on wink.gif.)
Witness
I suppose I see where you're coming from (and thumbs up on the organic skinlink idea), but TMs developed from Otaku (and have a lot in common), and the latter could do their weird stuff through DNI. Had to, in fact.
I see the 'organic wireless link' as just that. No reason to think that that's the only kind of link to the matrix that they could use.
Butterblume
Oh, on the otaku part: I never read their rules, there never was one in games I was in. So it's not too hard for me to just ignore old rules and only use the SR4 ones.

I know some people have problems with that, but I can wrap my head around that kind of reality distortion wobble.gif.
Witness
Fair enough.
Valentinew
Iirc, we decided (in one of the other myraid TM threads) that the easiest & best way for a TM to access wired-only nodes was simply to plug in the commlink that she would likely be carrying.

I know, I know, TMs work like a commlink, why would they have to carry one around? Because they have no internal storage, & there are places you cannot go without broadcasting your SIN and junk, which a TM is not equipped to do.

So, the TM plugs their commlink into the jack for the wired node & then accesses the commlink wirelessly. Voila'.
mfb
QUOTE (Tarantula)
If you wanted to... I just think a trode net would be easier overall than wiping paste on, then using a rag to wipe it off. Then later wiping it on again, and so on.

if you're just splashing your face with trode-juice, sure. i believe the nanopaste thing was intended to basically be makeup or facepaint, though. you wear it because it's cooler than wearing a trode net, or glasses, or whatever.
Moon-Hawk
I agree. I see the nanopaste trodes as something you put on in the morning and wear all day.
Tarantula
Yeah, but what if you wanted to put on a hat? Ski mask? Anything else that might screw it up? It just seems like far less hassle to me to have a net you can toss on and take off at will, easily, than a gooey gel.
Moon-Hawk
Gooey gel? Okay, see, there's the problem. Without a clear description of exactly what it's like, we have formed very different ideas about what nano-paste is like.
mfb
indeed. like i said, i tend to think of it as makeup or facepaint. yes, a net is less hassle, and 'professional' types probably wear them rather than nanopaste in most situations. but i don't think nanopaste trodes would sell at all if they left your face wet and sticky.
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (Synner)
The rules say that for all intents and purposes technomancers are organic commlinks. Implicit is the fact that they can only do what a commlink does. The rules also state that technomancers subscribe to nodes just like any normal commlink, and that effectively means that the node needs to possess active wireless capability.

Okay, that's what I suspected: implicit. I was hoping that if a specific wording existed, that someone would point it out. But you've confirmed my interpretatin of the rules, too.

Thanks.
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
I can't really see any reason a technomancer should ever need a datajack or any other mundane means of connecting to a device (like trodes). If you come up to a device with no wireless capabilities but which has an I/O jack you can connect your comm (or whatever) to, you just plug your machine into the device. Then you access your device wirelessly (because you didn't disengage your device's Signal) and you access the offending device through the wire connection. TMs are no worse off than mundane hackers in that sense.

Exactly. And though it sounds cool, I wouldn't allow a TM to access a non-wireless machine via touch. Mainly because I think hackers/TMs are so powerful already, that they need no help. But also because hooking up your commlink as stated above, is easy enough.
Tarantula
Even makeup or facepaint can pretty easily get messed up by clothing, brusing up against something, or other things such as that.
Demonseed Elite
Since the trode-paste doesn't require a certain pattern of application, mussing it up a bit from clothing or whatever won't impede its use.

In my games, the trode-paste is much like body art paint used for temporary tattooing and the like. Which once applied and dried, doesn't come off too easily. Clothing doesn't mess it up; it takes a real washing to get the stuff off.
SL James
God, I'd hope so.
Witness
Going back to question about TMs accessing non-wireless devices:
I imagine that you can just buy a dataplug with a wireless modem in it (like a wi-fi PCI card for a laptop). If you encounter a device that isn't wireless then it's bound to have a datajack in it instead, so just slot your doodad in, and you're away. I can imagine many TMs carrying these tiny things around with them in some pocket or other, just in case. Maybe they even decorate them and wear them as jewellry.
Seems like a cheap and simple solution. Don't even need a commlink. And the dataplug modems can be more or less disposable.
-X-
QUOTE (Witness)
Going back to question about TMs accessing non-wireless devices:
I imagine that you can just buy a dataplug with a wireless modem in it (like a wi-fi PCI card for a laptop). If you encounter a device that isn't wireless then it's bound to have a datajack in it instead, so just slot your doodad in, and you're away. I can imagine many TMs carrying these tiny things around with them in some pocket or other, just in case. Maybe they even decorate them and wear them as jewellry.
Seems like a cheap and simple solution. Don't even need a commlink. And the dataplug modems can be more or less disposable.

There would probably be a niche market for drones just a step above micro that fly or crawl in solely to set up this kind of wifi connection to a datajack.

Anything you can do to keep your profile low. (From a runner's point of view.)
Witness
One of my PCs is a drone rigger with more-or-less exactly that. Of course he's currently playing in 2063, pre-wireless world, but with access to AI-created state-of-the-art wireless technology, and his drone has a fiberoptic splicer for getting into networks, but it's the same sort of thing.
Toptomcat
You're a little fuzzy on the concept because the concept is a little fuzzy.
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (Toptomcat)
You're a little fuzzy on the concept because the concept is a little fuzzy.

Ha ha, yeah. But I don't think that's the only one. Did you see our debate about whether you have to spoof an ID before Hacking a node? ohplease.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012