Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FanGirl's Dedicated Character Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FanGirl
In this thread, I intend to showcase characters that I make up. If Something Bad Happens to my current character in the course of Emo’s campaign, I might replace her with a character I post about in this thread; if she survives unscathed, I might play one or more of them in any future campaigns that he chooses to run. I’m mostly creating these characters as an intellectual exercise, however. I know that Emo likes characters with a nifty twist to them, so I’ll try to make each character deviate in some way from the standard archetype. I also believe in diversity, so I’ll strive for an even balance of metahuman types. Feel free to use any of my characters and/or character concepts in your own campaigns, fiction writings, drawings, or any other creative works you produce.

All character sheets are made using Emo’s Krazy Khar-Gen Houserules:
  • 450 BPs
  • Any and all skills and attributes may be maxed at no extra cost.
  • No limits on Positive or Negative qualities.
  • Free contact points equal to 4 times one’s Charisma.
FanGirl
Bachelorette Number One is the kind of sociologist I wish I could be, except for the drug addiction. biggrin.gif

Helen Baker
Sociologist Face
Elf (30 BP)

Attributes: (240 BP)
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills: (162 BP)
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills: (30 free BP)
[ Spoiler ]

Positive and Negative Qualities (0 BP)
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts (24 free BP)
[ Spoiler ]

Gear (12 BP, or $60,000)
[ Spoiler ]

Background
Born in 2046, Helen had a fairly typical bourgeois childhood growing up in the suburb of Bellevue. In 2068, she received her BA from the University of Washington, and spent the following two years pursuing a master’s degree in sociology at UW. During the course of her studies, Helen became fascinated by what she learned about the society of the SINless underclass, and decided to make this underclass the subject of her master’s thesis. Specifically, Helen wished to study the roles of loyalty, duty, and camaraderie in shadowrunner culture, and she felt that the best way to gain meaningful insights into the shadows was to immerse herself in them.

For several months, Helen spent every moment she could spare in runner bars and on street corners, building relationships with those she met and logging every interaction that her implanted recording units could pick up on. It wasn’t long before she had built up a small database full of details on the wheelings and dealings of the Seattle underworld, and Lone Star quickly developed an interest in what they saw as a potential treasure-trove of paydata. Helen didn’t want to violate the trust that her contacts had placed in her, and as the Star put increasing pressure on her to give up her evidence, she realized that her only option was to make the recordings disappear—and that she would have to follow her data into the shadows.
boskop-albatros
Hello fangirl I was E-mailed by Emo Samurai On April 21 but I was off Dumpshock At that time Looking AT The Forth Turning Site And Trying to pass my Community COLLAGE trig Class (which sadly Didn't happen).

My IDEAS ARE very unorthodox.... I always try to push the envelope

(One of my ideas involved a Troll Centipede Physical Magician)

Please Message Back
boskop-albatros
I will think up a character
FanGirl
Knock yourself out; I won't stop you. Just don't expect me to be around right now, 'cause I'm about to go to bed. Good night.
boskop-albatros
oK THEN i NEED 2ND TO 3RD GEN character rules of ether Astral Adepts (I spell it right now!) and shamanic Adepts (Or would it be now shamanic aspected magicans in the 4th ed?[I have 4th Ed so you can work with me{AND YES ADD SOME ACTUAL NEW RUES--USED 3RD BRACKET!!!! YES IT WAS WORTH WATCHING MY DOGS IN A TROPICAL STORM FOR}])

I just need those rule conversions now

I will go to sleep now

love.gif
Dudukain
Starting characters may not have a rating in a skill group higher than four. Fix that, you have 20 extra BP to spend.
Butterblume
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Houserules:

• 450 BPs

biggrin.gif
Squinky
Careful Fangirl, making characters as an excercise is a good way to end up wanting to be a GM. Thats ultimately why I did, because I decided I wanted to play all those cool ideas I had....
emo samurai
My houserules rock.
UndeadPoet
Stealth ninjas, emerge!
Dudukain
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jun 13 2006, 10:58 AM)
My houserules rock.

Really? With that I'd expect you to have people come to your table with like 6 allergies, 2 addictions, 3 banes to spirits, All exceptional attributes, and god-knows-what-else.

Also, buff up your street doc's loyalty. I prefer to start the game with a 1/6 street doc. He can't get me stuff, but he can patch me up and what "borrow" limbs while I'm unconcious.
UndeadPoet
Also, buff up your street doc's loyalty. I prefer to start the game with a 1/6 street doc. He can't get me stuff, but he can patch me up and what "borrow" limbs while I'm unconcious.

The question is whether it fits your character to have such a connection. Loyality 6 is like "friend for life", something very few people have in real life and of which they maybe can't even imagine the grade of intimacy.

Really? With that I'd expect you to have people come to your table with like 6 allergies, 2 addictions, 3 banes to spirits, All exceptional attributes, and god-knows-what-else.

He meant no (+/-) 35 limit, I think, not that you can pick a certain handicap multiple times.
And you should not assume all people are bad and wish to make their character invincible. If you know how to, you can abuse no matter what. Look, I know how to create starting characters with all attributes 9 and 4 initiative phases and not a single weakness. But do I do it, just because I can? No, luckily. Would corrupt my character(and by "character" I do not mean the person I play in this RPG, but my own character).

by the way: Stealth ninjas, emerge!

Why did noone react?
Nasrudith
QUOTE (Dudukain)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jun 13 2006, 10:58 AM)
My houserules rock.

A vindictive GM could make the flaws hurt. A humorous example I made up will show this. Spoilered for the length
[ Spoiler ]

Geekkake
QUOTE (boskop-albatros)
oK THEN i NEED 2ND TO 3RD GEN character rules of ether Astral Adepts (I spell it right now!) and shamanic Adepts (Or would it be now shamanic aspected magicans in the 4th ed?[I have 4th Ed so you can work with me{AND YES ADD SOME ACTUAL NEW RUES--USED 3RD BRACKET!!!! YES IT WAS WORTH WATCHING MY DOGS IN A TROPICAL STORM FOR}])

I will go to sleep now

love.gif

Are you just smashing your face against a keyboard, or what?
Dudukain
QUOTE (UndeadPoet)

The question is whether it fits your character to have such a connection. Loyality 6 is like "friend for life", something very few people have in real life and of which they maybe can't even imagine the grade of intimacy.

He meant no (+/-) 35 limit, I think, not that you can pick a certain handicap multiple times.
And you should not assume all people are bad and wish to make their character invincible. If you know how to, you can abuse no matter what. Look, I know how to create starting characters with all attributes 9 and 4 initiative phases and not a single weakness. But do I do it, just because I can? No, luckily. Would corrupt my character(and by "character" I do not mean the person I play in this RPG, but my own character).

by the way: Stealth ninjas, emerge!

Why did noone react?

Abuse no matter what....

I take it you've seen my character thread with incompetent[pilot anthroform] and Spirit Bane (watcher spirits)?
UndeadPoet
I have not only seen, but replied and helped you to improve your character in your thread, Dudukain.

@Fangirl: You admit it at the beginning, this character is what you would like to be. While it may be funny for one or two sessions to play a character you can use your own background knowledge for, it won't be much of a roleplaying challenge.
(The term "roleplaying challenge" in german, "Rollenspielerische Herausforderung", is used ironically when referring to the intention of players to play drakes, vampires and other freaks, "just because of the roleplaying challenge". Everyone knows they want it for the power of drakes/vampires... I do not know if the term is used the same in english, so, let me assure you, I did not mean it ironically)
It is way more exciting to play a character you normally in real life would hate, for example. This is the extreme, and should be an aim for you. wink.gif
But starting off with a character concept easy playable is good, especially, when new to a system(I do not know whether you are, but since you play with emo, even if you had played SR before, you encounter a totally new world now, don't you?).
Ryu
Too many points in attributes and to little in skills IMO.

Try cutting to 200pts regardless of Emos Rules.
X-Kalibur
Couple of minor things... Skill Groups are capped at 4, you can still raise an individual skill higher than that while keeping the group "intact". Its just no longer a group, it is now the same as having paid 40 for everything in the group at 4 and then the additional 4 per skill point to raise them to 5. They become a group again if every skill is the same rating.

Also on your skill, maybe my math was off or yours was, but I only counted 158 points.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Nasrudith)
GM: The monowire cuts your arms and legs off, leaving you powerless to escape.

Got a big kick out of this allergy/monowire business. =)
UndeadPoet
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Couple of minor things... Skill Groups are capped at 4, you can still raise an individual skill higher than that while keeping the group "intact". Its just no longer a group, it is now the same as having paid 40 for everything in the group at 4 and then the additional 4 per skill point to raise them to 5. They become a group again if every skill is the same rating.

Also on your skill, maybe my math was off or yours was, but I only counted 158 points.

QUOTE (Butterblume)
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Houserules:

• 450 BPs

biggrin.gif
Dranem
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Jun 13 2006, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (boskop-albatros @ Jun 13 2006, 03:49 AM)

I will go to sleep now

love.gif

Note: Drug High + Forum Posting != Intelligent conversation. wink.gif

Another Note: Undead Poet, some of us have become accustomed to Emo's surrealistic style of gaming... as a result, from what I've seen on the boards:
- Some of us try to reason with the out-of-game concepts, but merely get insulted for trolling (which is why I've given up on Emo threads generally, cause I can't help critique the statements and state game rules)
- Some of us just ignore Emo cause there's no point in trying to reason with him anyway.
- Some play along with Emo and generally get a kick out of him blowing the whole concept of the RPG out of the water for the sake of 'being silly'.
UndeadPoet
QUOTE (Dranem)
Another Note: Undead Poet, some of us have become accustomed to Emo's surrealistic style of gaming... as a result, from what I've seen on the boards:
- Some of us try to reason with the out-of-game concepts, but merely get insulted for trolling (which is why I've given up on Emo threads generally, cause I can't help critique the statements and state game rules)
- Some of us just ignore Emo cause there's no point in trying to reason with him anyway.
- Some play along with Emo and generally get a kick out of him blowing the whole concept of the RPG out of the water for the sake of 'being silly'.

Thought so. Now, why do you tell me this?
Because I said "stealth ninjas, emerge!"? biggrin.gif
X-Kalibur
UndeadPoet, read your quote and mine again. Think about it... At CharGen you are limited to a skill rating of 4 for a skill group. What you bolded merely says you can max a skill or attribute without paying the extra cost.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 15 2006, 11:11 AM)
UndeadPoet, read your quote and mine again. Think about it... At CharGen you are limited to a skill rating of 4 for a skill group. What you bolded merely says you can max a skill or attribute without paying the extra cost.

My understanding is that that sentence is to be read as ignoring the skill group cap. Emo or someone who has clarified it with him before would need to answer.
UndeadPoet
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)

I did not bold it. Butterblume did. And she was right to.
Butterblume
I am pretty sure emo lifted the skill group cap, but that would be folklore from another thread talker.gif.

After all, you could read Fangirls remark both ways... if you didn't know emo.
Witness
QUOTE (Geekkake)

I will go to sleep now

love.gif

For some reason, this phrase just makes me grin from ear to ear everytime that I think about it. So I've nicked it for my sig. Thanks G.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Witness)
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Jun 13 2006, 03:04 PM)

I will go to sleep now

love.gif

For some reason, this phrase just makes me grin from ear to ear everytime that I think about it. So I've nicked it for my sig. Thanks G.

My pleasure.
FanGirl
Hey, everyone, just wanted to let you know that I won't be able to update this for a while because I'm in Europe and am therefore thousands of miles away from my copy of SR4. However, I'll be scribbling character info into my little notebook, so look forward to a few new characters (such as a girl ganger, a mage with a cyberarm, and a nun who isn't) shortly after I return in a little more than a week.

EDIT: Addressing some people's concerns about Helen:
UndeadPoet worries that Helen is too much like me to be much of a real roleplaying challenge. To this, I answer that the characters will probably become less and less like me as I go on. I would also like to note that Helen's research assistant contact is a ton more like me than Helen is. Like Helen, he's getting his master's in sociology, but unlike Helen, he's just too wimpy and socially awkward to go out and smooze with gangers and thugs. Instead, he's working as an unpaid intern in UW's survey research center--he does stuff like conducting phone surveys, running statistical analyses, and gofering. In short, he's the bitch of pretty much everyone at the research center, but the relative safety of his position makes up for his lack of freedom.

Many other people worry about Helen's BP balance, so I'll fix it when I get back, okay? I'm just not sure which extra active skills I'd buy, so I'd appreciate it if you guys suggested some. Thanks much! smile.gif
emo samurai
She can't be powergamed; there's no way for me to give her a free sprite ally or a superpowered new breed of chaos spirit. She's no good. biggrin.gif

And here are my houserules:

1. Anything can be maxed out for no extra cost.

2. No flaw/edge caps. 200 BP of negative qualities are totally okay, just probably fatal.

3. Yes, you can take your skill group to 6.

4. The skill cap at chargen is 6, unless you get exceptional ability, in which case it is 8. After chargen, the cap is 8, unless you get exceptional ability, in which case it is 11. You can get it multiple times for different skills.

5. 450 BP's, more if you build your character before coming to the table.

6. Karma payouts are based on how much fun I have.
FanGirl
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jun 23 2006, 06:51 PM)
She can't be powergamed; there's no way for me to give her a free sprite ally or a superpowered new breed of chaos spirit. She's no good. biggrin.gif

Aww, but I like the concept so much! Just think about it: straight-laced grad student becomes desperate criminal? I smell a Movie of the Week! biggrin.gif
Oh well...I guess she could always live on as an NPC in one of my games, though she'll have to undergo some extensive remodeling first.
(I just remembered--Emo also added a Hunted Flaw for PCs on the run from any specific individual(s) or organization(s). I should give Helen that, since the Star is probably keeping their ears to the ground for any signs of her.)

Anyway, the next character I've got lined up might be more your style. She's going to be an adept, and although she'll be pretty munchkiny, I think that she'll still manage to stand out from the rest of the ninja horde. Expect her by Friday at the very latest.
FanGirl
(Better late than never. biggrin.gif )

Bachelorette Number Two says: “Illegitimi non carborundum.”

Name: Madeline “Maddy” O’Hare
Adept
Metatype: Human

Attributes: (260)
[ Spoiler ]

Skills: (124)
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills (18 free BP)
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities (55)
[ Spoiler ]

Powers (6 PP)
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts (16 free BP + 8 spent BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Gear (6 BP, or 30,000):
[ Spoiler ]

About Madeline O’Hare:
Like most kids who grow up in the Sprawl with three older brothers, Maddy learned to hold her own in a back-alley scuffle at an early age. It wasn’t until she Awakened at puberty, however, that she really started to kick ass. Thrilled by her remarkable new abilities, Maddy quickly attached herself to a trainer who helped her hone her adept powers and combat skills throughout most of her teen years. Yet although her trainer was pleased by the speed at which his pupil advanced, Maddy still wasn’t satisfied by her progress. Sparring just wasn’t gratifying enough for her: what she truly wanted was to fight in an environment where she didn’t need to hold herself back.

Shortly after her eighteenth birthday, Maddy got her wish when she was hired as a “performer” at the Gladius, an exclusive club in downtown Seattle. The Gladius appears to be a normal club on its above-ground floors, but only the members of a select (not to mention rather ruthless) group know about the club’s secret basement arena, where Maddy and her fellow “performers” engage in nightly gladiatorial combats. The life of a gladiatrix has been good to Maddy so far (not only does she get to fight without restraint, she also gets paid a pretty penny to do so), but she also wants to get into a nice, lucrative activity that will let her fill time between matches—preferably something risky, challenging, and fun.
ZenOgre
How bout "Jeet Kune Do" for a style? just seemed appropriate.
emo samurai
Chuck Norris Fu. Or ninjitsu; because if you take that, you will win everything, ever.
FanGirl
I did some reading about martial art styles on Wikipedia, and I think I've made my choice.

I'm tempted to pick Jeet Kune Do (because it was created by Bruce Lee, and Bruce Lee is friggin' awesome), but the style emphasizes simple and efficient moves over complex and theatrical ones. This is a problem because I intend for Maddy's style to be very visually impressive, incorporating lots of flying leaps, sweeping high kicks, and the like. (She fights to impress even harder than she fights to win—audiences are drawn by theatrical combats, and the manager is less likely to give a losing gladiator the pollice verso if he thinks that the fighter will help bring in business.) Also, I envisioned Maddy's trainer as being a more traditional guy, and a 100-year-old style simply isn't old enough compared to many other styles. Therefore, I'm crossing JKD off my list.

"Chuck Norris Fu" is actually a real style known as Chun Kuk Do. Even though Chuck Norris is also friggin' awesome, Chun Kuk Do is even younger than JKD, so that style is out too.

Ninjitsu is also an attractive option, and it does meet the requirements for both traditionalism and audience appeal (everyone loves ninjas, after all). However, ninjitsu actually encompasses several separate and wide-ranging disciplines. In order for Maddy to be a ninja, she would have to learn the Close Combat, Athletics, Outdoors, and Stealth skill groups, in addition to the Active skills of Escape Artist, Throwing Weapons, Etiquette, Con, Demolitions, Pilot Watercraft, Horsemanship, Exotic Melee Weapon (Yari), and Exotic Melee Weapon (Naginata), as well as the Knowledge skills of Military Strategy, Geography, and Meteorology—I can only imagine a ninja weather forecaster:
"Now it's time for the weather with Kenta Yamaguchi!  Ken, where's that sun you promised us yesterday?"
"People of the Seattle Metroplex, I have failed you!  I must die with honor!" *splutch*
"Ha ha ha!  And now let's turn it over to Cap'n Jack over at the sports desk!"

That's another thing: the practice of ninjitsu results in an awful lot of unnecessary stabbings. Cross that one off, too.

Anyway, I'm most likely going to go with Tae Kwon Do for being sufficiently traditional, visually stunning, and specialized to suit Maddy's needs. I also think I'll give her a Gymnastics specialization in Parkour. But I've had a long day and am feeling very lazy, so I won't change the character sheet just yet. biggrin.gif
Apathy
For flash and lots of fancy flips and kicking techniques, it's hard to beat capoeira. If you want something older I'd say kung-fu (gung-fu), maybe one of the Northern styles:
[ Spoiler ]

FanGirl
I edited Maddy's character sheet. First of all, I have decided not to give her a specializiation in capoeria. Sure, capoeria's cool, it's impressive, it's indie - but it's a dance. You don't hurt people with your strikes, you're just trying to touch them. In some situations, just touching the opponent is preferable to messing him up, but this isn't normally true in the kinds of fights that Maddy is getting into.

I also made some changes to make her a traceur - a practitioner of Parkour. First, I dropped her Gymnastics skill from 6 down to three and gave her a +3 specialization in Parkour. Second, I used the six BPs I saved to purchase a new traceur contact and to boost another contact's Connection rating. Thirdly, I replaced her knowledge points in Club Music with specializations in Gang Turf and Seattle Traceur Groups. Finally, I took away her Quick Healing and a point of her Will to Live in exchange for the Double-Jointed and Home Ground qualities. The latter quality only applies when she's in the Gladius, so it won't improve her parkour specifically, but the former quality should help her get through tight gaps and such.
L.D
I have to go with Apathy here and suggest Capoeria (but I'm biased on that so..). If you want it visually impressive Capoeria is great, specially with all the acrobatics which ties in pretty well with the Parkour thing.
Kyoto Kid
First off, with an MA of 6 and Edge of 3, she would be a 365 Pt character with regards to attributes.

According to the rules a character cannot have both High Pain Tolerance and the Pain Resistance adept power. The one level of Pain resistance could be used for another adept ability like an additional level of Mystic armour. Also I would take only 2 levels of the Increased Pain Tolerance quality. Given the character's body/willpower attribute of 3, this would still give them only a maximum of a -1 DP modifiier before they went down.

I do like the fact that you have more points in Positive qualities then Negative qualities. Also, so few characters I have seen take First Aid as a skill. Good choice.

I would switch one point of Agility for one point of Body so she can wear an armoured jacket without penalty. Beleive me it does make a difference (BTW, I noticed that she has bought no armour at all).

For her Smartlink, I would get glasses (less obvious than goggles) skinlink will still work.

What strikes me as a little strange is that Maddy has the the Influence skill group but no adept powers to augment her skills. I would strongly consider Kinesecs as an adept power if this is a major part of the character concept.

It appears there is a math error on the mods to her combat skills. For one, she should have a net of 7 in her Tae Kwon Do skill (5 in basic Unarmed). Also, unless I am missing soemthing from Emo's campaign she should only have a +2 to her Gymnastics for specialisation. Finally, Maddy only has a total DV of 3 for her Unarmed blows. I would exchange two levels of Great Leap for two levels of Critical Strike to increase her base DV.

One more question, How is she able to get a Fake SIN rating 6 when the availability is 18? (of course, this could be an Emo Samurai houserule I am not aware of)

Basically, I love the character concept, With the tweaks above I feel she would work very well in the type of campaign I run.

BTW, When I post Dr Z, feel free to enter your constructive critique, after all, this is what the DCPs are supposed to be about.
Apathy
QUOTE (Apathy @ Jul 3 2006, 08:21 PM)
For flash and lots of fancy flips and kicking techniques, it's hard to beat capoeira. If you want something older I'd say kung-fu (gung-fu), maybe one of the Northern styles:
[ Spoiler ]

Just for point of reference, here's a movie clip of some capoeira guy fighting.
You don't hurt people with your strikes, you're just trying to touch them. In some situations, just touching the opponent is preferable to messing him up, but this isn't normally true in the kinds of fights that Maddy is getting into.

I expect that's more the way it's taught to the masses, than the true extent of it's capabilities. Lots of styles these days don't teach hard sparring because they're trying to limit injuries, but I don't think they'd be [i]incapable[i] of beating the crap out of me...

As a side note, a style where you just 'touched' while sparring might still be scary if you invested in Killing Blow.

It's not really my style - I prefer Muay Thai - but it does have a coolness factor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012