Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Urban Brawl
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dudukain
Are there any specific rules for urban brawl? Because I always imagined something like this:

Urban Brawl:

Positions:

Forward: Typically a Troll or Ork, the Forward typically wields a large gun or combat axe. The forward is the one who usually scores goals.

Quarterback: Usually an elf, the quarterback is the one who starts with the ball and throws it to other players at the beginning. Quarterbacks usually use either a knife or a pistol.

Defender: Usually a dwarf, ork, or troll, defenders wield decent-sized weapons like swords, axes, and assault rifles. Their job is to be the first line on defense

Goalie: Almost always a troll, the goalie wields enormous weapons like polearms or LMGs. He stands in front of the goal to guard.

Healer: One of almost any race, the healer carries a taser or other small arm and carries a rating 6 medkit to heal players of his team.

RULES

Scoring: Teams recieve 1 point for each metaperson on the opposing team knocked unconcious. Any team which gets the ball into the goal recieves 5 points.

Recovering the Ball: The ball can be regained by the defending team with either a successful Strength+Unarmed combat rolled against the person with the ball's Strength+Unarmed combat or Agility+Unarmed combat, or the ball can be recovered when a combatant is knocked unconcious.

Time Limit: Urban Brawl games last 2 hours or until one team is completely knocked unconcious (Or about 4 hours with commercials)

Shooting: Goals can be made by either launching the ball past the defenders and the goalie into the goal (Make an Agility+Throwing weapons test opposed by the defender's and goalie's agility+strength, roll only once for each defender and goalie, if any of them succeed, the ball is caught or stopped in midair and knocked to the ground. If one or more defenders/goalies is incapicatated, only roll that many checks. If any Forwards or the quarterback are between you and the goal, make checks for them as well.) The other way is to simply force your way past the defenders and goalie and run into the goal.

The Ball: An urban brawl ball is a 5 pound sphere of plasteel, about 1 foot in diameter.

Regulations: A urban brawl player cannot have more than 3 essence in implants unless they are for medical purposes (A person missing an arm, for example, can have 3 essence of implants AND his arm.). All urban brawl weapons must have one of the following:

Shock Padding: This thick cover makes melee weapons deal stun damage.

Gel Rounds: Any weapon can use these.

Web Missle: This works as gel rounds, except they explode on contact blasting their area with thick gel.

Assault Gel blast: These work as gel rounds for an assault cannon.

All these things are provided free of charge to Urban Brawl Players.

Goal: A 3 meter wide, 3 meter tall, 7 meter deep goal rectangular prism, the ball is launched into this.
---
How's it look?
stevebugge
There are published rules and descriptions in an older book called Shadowbeat. Your rules, while interesting, are more or less what would happen if you crossed Combat Biker & Urban Brawl. I think ther may be a link to a website with the official Urban Brawl rules on it somewhere around here.
coolgrafix
I believe there are specific rules in the old entertainment resource book from 1st Edition whose name I forget.

EDIT: What he said. =)
stevebugge
Found the link
http://www.intercom.net/user/logan1/ubl.htm
stevebugge
Of course all this discussion of Urban Brawl has somehow reminded me of this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096532/
Jaid
a 1 foot diameter ball of lead would weigh just a touch more than 5 pounds, i think. i mean, i could be off, but that's a big honking ball of lead, and lead is kinda heavy.

now, i'm not saying i know offhand how much it *would* weigh... i'm just saying that you're looking at a lot more than 5 pounds, IMO.
Grogs
QUOTE (Jaid)
a 1 foot diameter ball of lead would weigh just a touch more than 5 pounds, i think. i mean, i could be off, but that's a big honking ball of lead, and lead is kinda heavy.

now, i'm not saying i know offhand how much it *would* weigh... i'm just saying that you're looking at a lot more than 5 pounds, IMO.

It would weight ~ 73 lbs by my reckoning. That sounds close, sice a typical shot put (~4-5 inches in diameter) weighs about 16 lbs. It could be a *hollow* 5 lb sphere, but you'd need something a bit tougher than lead.
Lagomorph
Hmm.
Density of lead: 11.4 g / ml
12 in = 30.48 centimeters (radius = 15.24 cm)
Volume of sphere: 4/3 pi R^3

4/3 pi 15.24^3 = 14826.7 cm^3

1 ml = 1 cm^3

14826.7 cm^3 * 11.4 g/ml = 169024.4 g = 169.0244 kg = 372.6 pounds

Yowza
Dudukain
whoops. Okay, changed it to plasteel, that should be lighter.
stevebugge
How about a 1 foot diameter rubber superball with a lead core for a little extra inertia grinbig.gif
Protagonist
QUOTE (Dudukain @ Jun 14 2006, 08:31 AM)
whoops. Okay, changed it to plasteel, that should be lighter.

Why not just use the official Urban Brawl rules that were already posted? If you'll notice the ball is made of plastifoam.

Cheops
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Found the link
http://www.intercom.net/user/logan1/ubl.htm

That's actually copied from an old adventure called Killing Glare. Very fun adventure, ran my group through it once. Nearly crapped themselves when they discovered the dragon was on the playing field.
TBRMInsanity
I remember that run. Good times, good times.
Shrike30
Probably my two favorite rules from Urban Brawl are:

-No Arson (put into place after a finals match had to be cancelled, because the field had become unplayable)
-The ball carrier doesn't have to be under his own power when he enters the goal zone, nor does it matter which half of his corpse is touching the ball (after an incident involving the defending Blaster's LMG tearing someone in half and then throwing the half with the ball into the goal zone).
Aaron
I was disappointed when the rules for Urban Brawl appeared. It didn't really seem like a spectacular (in the sense of being good for spectators, or being a spectacle) game. Really, once you introduce firearms into a situation, you mostly get a lot of people running for cover and shooting things. It's hard to get a good camera angle on somebody when they're purposely looking for cover and concealment. I've played a couple games of Urban Brawl using the SR rules (2nd or 3rd ed, I don't remember which) and the DMZ rules, and it's just a lot of shooting until you've overwhelmed the enemy, and then you take the ball and walk over to the goal. Besides, I have a tough time believing that any North American government of 2050 and beyond would condone what is essentially a blood sport.

Before the "official" rules came out, I'd imagined Urban Brawl to be some sort of development of a modern version of Shrovetide football (also known as mob football), where the goal is to get the ball to the goal by any means necessary. I figured a bunch of ork and troll kids, stuck in the barrens, had developed the game on their own, not wanting many rules and not having much in the way of equipment and not minding a little rough-and-tumble play (not much of a stretch, considering we played a similar game we liked to call "war ball" in the neigborhood, back in the day). Some trid exec saw it, and decided to develop it as entertainment, and voila!

I mean, if you play the game with the thirteen players on a slightly smaller "field" (say one by two city blocks), ban weapons (and either all or certain spells), and forbid grapples longer than a few seconds and holding the ball while you're on the ground, you can get some spectacular hits, especially if there's a motorcycle involved. Plus, you'd have to be fast or strong or tough, not just carry the biggest gun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012