Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of Computers in Cyberlimbs...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cray74
If I recall correctly from Man & Machine, computers fall under the "big object" category to plant in cyberlimbs (or -skulls or -torsos) and thus are 5 ECU. Or 4. Big anyway.

And each ECU is, IIRC, about 50 cubic centimeters. So the entry for computer in the ECU table of M&M is 200-250cc, like a 5x5x8cm or 5x5x10cm brick, a 2060s desktop stuffed into the cyberlimb. Okay. (Well, it probably isn't a solid "brick," but it's 200-250cm of computer "stuff" wrapped around and through other limb components.)

So, my question: can you put a "wrist" computer into a cyberlimb? And if so, would it be .5 or 1 ECU?
Sphynx
First off, Cyberdecks are 4 or 5. Computers are 3 ECU. So, 150cc using your algorithym. nyahnyah.gif

As for Wrist Computer, if you wanted a Computer to take up fewer ECUs than 3, rather than buy a Wrist Computer and stuff it into a cyberlimb, I'd use the Improved Concealability rules on page 291 and increase the cost by 50% per -1ECU. So, if you wanted a Computer to drop from 3 ECU to 1 ECU, it would have a price markup of 200% or MemoryCost * 3.

FYI though, we House Rule that limb computers are 'pocket sized' to begin with, so for our game it would be MemoryCost * 15 for an ECU of 1 or MemoryCost * 17.5 for an ECU of 0.5 (making it cheaper than a wrist computer, FYI). This House Rule makes it a bit more sensable since the smallest Limb Computer would be just a wee bit larger than the Wrist Computer if you take cost into consideration. (Of course, once you DNI it, the Wrist Computer is alot cheaper. nyahnyah.gif)

Sphynx

Sphynx
Cray74
As for Wrist Computer, if you wanted a Computer to take up fewer ECUs than 3, rather than buy a Wrist Computer and stuff it into a cyberlimb, I'd use the Improved Concealability rules on page 291 and increase the cost by 50% per -1ECU. So, if you wanted a Computer to drop from 3 ECU to 1 ECU, it would have a price markup of 200% or MemoryCost * 3.

Ooo...that's p291 of Man & Machine? That's a rule I've overlooked, and something I'm going to have to look up on my lunchbreak.
Sphynx
No, that's the SR3/BBB book, page 291. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Cray74
QUOTE (Sphynx)
No, that's the SR3/BBB book, page 291. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx

How does improved concealability of surveillance devices affect ECU?
Kagetenshi
It doesn't. He's extrapolating.

~J
Sphynx
Exactly. nyahnyah.gif It's a nice system to port-over to reducing ECU for certain items (such as computers) and makes alot more sense than to cheese a wrist-computer into a limb. nyahnyah.gif As I said, it's what I'd use, not a Canon Source. If you want to stick to Canon, then wrist/pocket/desktop/etc all take 3 ECU. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Cray74
QUOTE (Sphynx)
If you want to stick to Canon, then wrist/pocket/desktop/etc all take 3 ECU.  nyahnyah.gif

No, I'm not sure canon says that. Canon (pg35-37 M&M) provides a table of different item sizes and their ECU requirements, and says to use that table as guidelines for determining the ECU of equipment.

"For equipment not listed on the table [on pg36], the gamemaster can establish an equipment capacity unit cost based on the gear's approximate size, using the Equipment Capacity Units Tables [pg37]."

You might argue the listed "computer" covers "wrist computers," but I'd go by commonsense and size of comparable items, which is the 1 ECU group (Knife, holdout pistol, cellphone, GPS, lockpick gun).
Sphynx
Just as argueable is 3 ECU to cover the I/O ports you'll need. After all, a puter is useless without the ability to connect things to it unless you're using it as a Math SPU only. And a CyberHolster takes 4 ECU. nyahnyah.gif

Seriously though, I think taking it down to 0.5 even is a plausable idea and my suggestion was to support it, not to suggest it wasn't possible or probable. But by Canon, computers take 3.0 and as far as you or I know, they meant a wrist-size one, if for no reason other than the need to access it through ports.

Sphynx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012