Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: Kingmaker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
JackRipper
Looking for 4 to 6 well thought out shadowrunners.

I am only interested in concepts/backgrounds at this time (Please do not PM me concepts/backgrounds a spoiler in the thread is prefered)

Game setting: SR4

Theme: Beginning to intermediate runs (NO PRIME RUNNERS), based on the lower-
end (read this as street level, for now)

I am looking for a balanced group (missing a key type of player, the group will miss things or only marginally succeed) [and yes that means Hackers are a viable option for PC]

Misc. rules: In header during game play you must post PAN mode
Ex. PAN: Passive (model) (any peripherials ie..linked contacts)

I plan on exploiting...i mean using the PAN as it an important development in the game.
Shadow
Besides street level are you looking for a certain feel?
JackRipper
in particular, no.

PC's dont have to be street types, but at least close enough to it that it works for them. If concept is new to the scene and earning your chops that's cool or if PC is by concept just a smidge higher than the streets she works on that's ok too.

Shadow
Ok here you go,

Name: Sahara Ann Clark
Sex: Female
Race: Human
Criminal Record: Yes (If so please explain)
6 Months Hollywood Correctional Facility, drug possesion
Background: Ex-Cop
Bitter (Yes/No): Yes

[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
I like it, but by my math she's 29
JackRipper
also, what archetype would she be close to?
Shadow
Detective/Bounty Hunter
Cedric Rolfsson
JackRipper
I've got a concept for your review.

[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
So, he's an Phy-adept (muscle that does bounty work)?

Is he more muscle or bounty hunter? This for me is crucial to make the distinction between being muscle that does bounty work, or a bounty hunter who uses muscle (believe me its a different feel and skill set)
Blitz
Hey there...I created a utility mage for Mushashi's game but he isn't responding anymore to my IMs and Im starting to doubt if she'll see any play there. I have the sheet completed already but in excel so really hard to cut and paste here. If she's going to be the only mage though, I can adjust her spells to cover a broader range of tasks. All my info stuffs on my home computer so I can post it soon as I get off work.
JackRipper
a concept/background is good for now
Cedric Rolfsson
He primarily muscle that does bounty hunter work.

[ Spoiler ]

Whizbang
Hmm...seeing if I can't convert my Missions char to SR4....

Name: Whizbang
Race: Elf
Archetype: Street Mage

[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
Is Whizbang part of the gang?

If she is, is the gang a Wizgang?
Whizbang
Yes, she's part of the gang. No, it's not an all mage gang. She and Squawkbox and perhaps one or two others are pretty much the magic support.
JackRipper
So far we have:

A Snoop
A Physical Muscle
A Mage

If i'm wrong on role please let me know.
Ophis
I may have something, where's the game being set?
adamu
Hello JackRipper. My name is Adam. I have what I think is a cool idea for your game, but I will not only need your approval to enter the game, but also Shadow's, since the character was inspired by and is a parallel/spin-off to his character's storyline.

In terms of archetype, I am afraid it adds nothing new to your existing candidates - but I reckon the one type most groups have at least two of is "fighter."

As briefly as I can put it, Cyrus "Asp" Burger is a martial-arts accountant ex-cop fugitive desperately in hopeless love with Sahara.

[ Spoiler ]

Okay - if you like it I can flesh it out. I've already run the numbers and I think I can put Cy together the way I want in game terms.
If you don't decide he will fit into your campaign - hey, I had a great time writing him up!
And Shadow - if I made any incorrect assumptions about your character, they are easily edited out.
Take care all, Adam.
Ankle Biter
I would like to apply as a technomancer. Here is a quick write up of my character, I have a 400 point technomancer ready, but I imagine that we are working with less points, so I won't post it. There is a bit more to the story that I will add when I get to my next break...
[ Spoiler ]
Blitz
How do you post a spoiler anyhow?
Ankle Biter
Edit^^^^^ post a spoiler by putting spoiler in these [] to start the spoiler, and using /spoiler in these [] to finish it.

chracter background continued

NB, the concept is tecnological idiot-savante.

[ Spoiler ]
Shadow
QUOTE (adamu)
If you don't decide he will fit into your campaign - hey, I had a great time writing him up!
And Shadow - if I made any incorrect assumptions about your character, they are easily edited out.
Take care all, Adam.

Dude, DUDE! That was awesome, by all means, I have no problem with it.

Blitz, spoilers are done this way <spoiler>text</spoiler> where <> is replaced with []

JackRipper
Ankle Biter, I in my opinion think that society as a whole would not understand, and be wary of technomancers, your basic concept seems to hint on that direction. If you would please expand upon your concept, but do not feel you need to write him up in away you feel i want; that is not my intent for you to make a character i want to play but one you do.

I do have questions:

as an idiot-savant is his sister required to attend to him even during runs?

or is he just lacking in personal skills in the meat world?
JackRipper
Cedric and Adamu can i get a brief skill set and cyber/bioware or adept powers from you?

Ophis, the game is 2070 Seattle (default i know)
Cedric Rolfsson
JackRipper-
[ Spoiler ]

JackRipper
If i read right he isnt an adept, as he tried for cyber programs issued by the star, as well as spending his inheritance.
JackRipper
Interest so far (please forgive if i over generalize concepts)

Detective
Shadow

Muscle
Adamu (cyber)
Cedric (Adept)

Mage
Blitz
Whizbang

Hacker
Ankle Biter (Technomancer)

Rigger

Face
WeLostThePlot
This is actually my first post made here at DumpShock. I've read a couple of threads, and am currently GMing my first SR4 game with a real life group. I created this character way back when I thought my friend was going to be the GM. He's a pretty cool Face, and his sheet is already done. Including 6 well developed contacts. If you've got any problems with the backstory I can tweak it around.
Name: Andrew "ReKoil" Kinsley
Species: Elf
[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
Plot: Has he had some plastic surgery or is his face on wanted posts?
WeLostThePlot
Oh, right, sorry. My bad.
[ Spoiler ]
Blitz
I just spent the last hour writing this damn thing, then IE crashed.

*cries*

Ok...here we go with the short short version.

[ Spoiler ]
Cedric Rolfsson
JackRipper- revised skillset for Cynic

[ Spoiler ]

adamu
First off, let me just reiterate what I said in my first post - if there is one role a team of five or six runners tends to have/need two of it is 'fighter' types. Beyond that general classification, I really don't see that much redundancy between Cedric's character and my own - different races (although they will appear the same), very different backgrounds and motivations, and Cedric's Killing Hands and Astral Perception can take his character in very different directions than mine will ever be able to go. So that's what I think personally about that.

[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
Adamu, that's exactly what i was trying to get across. Even if skills were redundant it's not to a disadvantage to the group. I did point out the difference between Adept and Cybered (and beyond game mechanics, it's a totally different mindset as well as role)

case in point while the ex-cop obviously spent many hours of practice and almost complete devotion to his study of martial arts, he will NEVER attain the mastery that the Adept could ( and relatively easy at that) The Adept has that spark of enlightenment (as evident by buying points into it).
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (JackRipper)
Ankle Biter, I in my opinion think that society as a whole would not understand, and be wary of technomancers, your basic concept seems to hint on that direction. If you would please expand upon your concept, but do not feel you need to write him up in away you feel i want; that is not my intent for you to make a character i want to play but one you do.

I do have questions:

as an idiot-savant is his sister required to attend to him even during runs?

or is he just lacking in personal skills in the meat world?

Esentially the way I see the character is that
[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
QUOTE (Blitz)
I just spent the last hour writing this damn thing, then IE crashed.

*cries*

Ok...here we go with the short short version.

[ Spoiler ]

Not sure which totem Im going to go with...any objection to taking the bonuses from an existing totem and creating a new totem to overlay it like a skin?

As long as it fits
adamu
Jack - I absolutely agree with you on adepts having greater long-run martial arts potential. My rough numbers have melee combat skills at five, and I am not planning on ever raising them - that part of his life (seeking his own interests) is over. Now he will be working hard to round himself out, gaining the social and computer skills he needs for the job at hand, the job in which he expects (and in some ways hopes) to be killed.
JackRipper
So, we have two different but complimentary skill sets for our warriors.
JackRipper
Ankle Biter, looking at your concept I think it would make a great table top PC,where facial expressions, the occassional slobbering, and just being around a group of friends to share this in. I do feel that as presented this PC would not fit in well with the rest. His nature of being inept is far beyond what a group of strangers would consider appropriate to watch their backs,and this is exactly the case.

This is what i have a mental image of.......

He shifts foot to foot and peers around following the trails of data (acceptable to this point) His half vacant stare falls upon the big shape of the Ork " Yo'....and wass yur part in dis." Your sister steps up sheepishly. "He's James, and he's a Hacker...a good one too, you'll see." Bewildered the Ork says." And who are you?" "I'm his sister." Angrily the ork turns towards the fixer, yelling so forcefully that spit flies from his mouth." Are you fragging wit me?!!! ....He's a fragging.....and he brought his fraggin' sister to, maybe we should just knock on their doors first and announce we're coming in later."

Okay now this might be the response from a PC with the uncouth quality, but as presented i dont believe it fits.

I dont mind a PC like Monk from the TV show, but rainman is pushing a little far. I'm not trying to be mean or abusive (My family is all smartasses so it is natural for me to get that way too) I just need you to reign your concept in a bit. At my table top game....I'd love to have this PC but, i dont think it would work here as you are with virtual strangers here.
Ankle Biter
No worries, can do. Just gimmie a while to work on it...
Digital Heroin
Concept for Ricky Wallace, Face:

[ Spoiler ]

Concept: Urban explorer turned Shadowrunner; Social Adept.
Ankle Biter
Okay, concept take 2.

[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
James/Dave is an ork?
HeySparky
I don't typically recycle characters from past games, but I liked this concept and there still seems to be a need so I'll submit a 'rigger' concept.

Physical Description:
[ Spoiler ]

Background:
[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
ES Sparky, yes there was a need and i'm glad someone posted to fill it.

As i mentioned in an earlier post this is going to be your old fashioned (with new 4th edition rules) shadowrun. I can and will play without a 'niche' being filled but as a whole the party will only marginally succeed then. This is an "introductory" game i use with a new tabletop game (when i have to relocate and then find new players). Kingmaker, in a tabletop game played once aweek for 2 1/2 to 3 hours has lasted on average 6 months. This i believe will be excelerated due to its a post system. Kingmaker at the conclusion leads to 3 different possible games, which depends upon actions in game. Any PC accepted will have ample oppurtunity to play and evolve, this includes hackers an often overlooked/underused PC type.
adamu
Kingmaker, in a tabletop game played once aweek for 2 1/2 to 3 hours has lasted on average 6 months. This i believe will be excelerated due to its a post system.

Wow - now I am triple interested in this game! I have been surprised to find some real advantages to this medium since starting with it a couple of months ago, but from all I have seen and done, it seems that the one drawback is the incredibly SLOW pace at which games proceed. If you anticipate an opposite effect, I very much look forward to your GM style.
Thus, if there is anything I can do to strengthen my application, please don't hesitate to let me know!
JackRipper
I think here it will be story writing ability on my part, if i can draw the PC's in and have them foaming at the mouth for the next post then i'll be able to keep them interested (like mini cliff hangers). Not to say it's not a two way streak but it is the GM's responsibility to keep it going and interesting. I have run this adventure 6 times so, while i havent run up against all possible PC actions, i've seen alot of them.
Blitz
Im eager to get started as well...will you be posting the final list and the build point information so we can begin creating the characters?
JackRipper
I will post the final list (that sounds so harsh ) on Wednesday.

As to this point no one has expressed conflicting interests, the following may begin character building:

Shadow
Adamu
Cedric
Ankle Biter
ES Sparky

As per SR4 rules (400 BP's, etc.)

Remember :

To buy a commlink (yes, ankle biter you are one already i know)

If you know people it should show on your contacts list

It is better to have enough baseline gear than one really great toy

Negative qualities will be negative (but oh so fun)

The more thought you put into your PC the more you'll get out of him/her.
JackRipper
Blitz and Whizbang your concepts are very close so if you two can (And only you two at this point) PM me your character sheets so that i may make my decision on the dreaded number crunching factors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012