Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Posted this in the wrong forum
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nobody
Hmm... accidentally posted this in the Shadowrun General Forum. Ooops. A bit more appropriate here. So.... here is a repost

Hey there.

I'm getting ready to begin running a campaign for a couple of new players. And unfortunately, I haven't played since SR1, so it's pretty much like a new game for me too.

Anyway... as much as it shames me... I don't have a veteran to ask these questions to discreetly... so here comes the first round of beginner questions.

1. Riggers. When they jump into a drone do they use their Matrix Ini? It seems that way, but I can't find it explicitly explained.

2. 2 guns. I saw on a thread a while back someone with the notion that you can fire a pistol from each hand using a simple action on each. Thus ignoring the whole split pool thing... is this true? What is the consensus on this? Can you use your Smartlink on both shots? How do you calc Recoil?

3. More on Rigging... is there a better rigging guide out there? Core SR4 doesn't spend too much time on the topic and one of my players wants to be a rigger.

4. Can you buy Foci at character creation? Another player wants to be a Shaman.

5. Combat: You can fire one long burst and one short burst during one action phase. Soo.... if I understand that right, If I have a player with 3 initiative passes due to enhancements... he could choose to fire 3 long bursts? How does Recoil work on that?

Okay.... I'm sure there are more to come. But I'll stop for now.

I appreciate the help and clarification. Also... I haven't run SR since SR1. Any tips, suggestions or warnings would be welcome.

For the Record... I've GM'ed a crapload of various RPG's in my life... but it's been 10-ish years and this is a new system. So, I'm not super-concerned with putting runs together... but I'm struggling to master the system.

Thanks again!
Aaron
1. Yes.

2. Yes, yes, and recoil from one still counts for the other.

3. Not yet, and it's been a source of some contention here.

4. Yes, it's in the rules under starting equipment, p. 85.

5. In a single Turn, yes. In a single phase, no. You get one Complex or two Simple Actions per initiative pass. Recoil accumulates during a single phase (one initiative pass).

There are a number of cheat sheets on my Shadowrun Resources page. They might help.
Jaid
more clarification on 2)

first off, if you don't have ambidexterity, you suffer a penalty to the off hand attack. secondly, you can make 2 attacks per simple action by splitting your pool, if you want. if you do not want to split your pool, you can use a gun on each separate simple action, recoil modifiers are cumulative, and apply from one gun to the other.

smartlink adds to your pool... if you are splitting the pool, you split the smartlink. if you do not split the pool (ie do it on two separate actions) you get the bonus to each one. (provided, of course, both guns have a smartlink).

in other words, what Aaron said... just a little more fleshed out.
Nim
QUOTE (Jaid)

smartlink adds to your pool... if you are splitting the pool, you split the smartlink. if you do not split the pool (ie do it on two separate actions) you get the bonus to each one. (provided, of course, both guns have a smartlink).

Are you sure about this? p.141 says: "Two-gun attacks also negate any dice pool bonuses from smartlinks or laser sights."

Oddly, OTHER modifiers are added after splitting the die-pool. So you can still benefit from tracer-fire, but not from a smartlink or laser sight. Don't think that makes a whole lot of sense.
Jaid
hmmm... you seem to be right then... in that case, i'll just add it to the "devs were smoking crack" heap, along with no player owned safehouses...

and, iirc, tracer rounds are not a bonus so much as they are basically RC...
Synner
QUOTE (Jaid)
hmmm... you seem to be right then... in that case, i'll just add it to the "devs were smoking crack" heap, along with no player owned safehouses...

The rule on no-twinned smartgun links has been part of SR from SR2 thru 4. In previous editions it's been explained away by saying that the doubled targeting information is too confusing to the viewer effectively neutralizing the bonus. It's generally believed this is a balance issue.

Regarding the character owned safehouses I suggest you check SR4 p.261. They are possible, they are just not covered by the basic lifestyle costs - you pay for them separately.
Jaid
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 17 2006, 05:11 PM)

The rule on no-twinned smartgun links has been part of SR from SR2 thru 4. In previous editions it's been explained away by saying that the doubled targeting information is too confusing to the viewer effectively neutralizing the bonus. It's generally believed this is a balance issue.

Regarding the character owned safehouses I suggest you check SR4 p.261. They are possible, they are just not covered by the basic lifestyle costs - you pay for them separately.

if only one gun has a smartlink, that argument holds no water.

and i'm not talking about being able to get safehouses, i'm talking about being able to own them, and have them constantly available, without having to go through someone else. ie, not that insane "500 nuyen per day" nonsense, but much more like earlier editions where you could have 2 or more lifestyles, and use one as a safehouse that you don't have to pay through the nose to be able to use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012