Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Samaels Ghost
Would a Deltaware Commlink in your head cost:

(2000*10)+commlink cost

OR

(2000+commlink cost) * 10

???
Samaels Ghost
side note: The topic name is a misnomer. It actually has nothing to do with essence. sorry for the screw up and any confusion thereafter
ZenOgre
The way I read the rule is that the Delta multiplier is applied after the other cost modifiers. so (to step on the land mine) it's your second choice : (2000+Comm cost)*10
Takes a more refined surgery to install that cutting edge gear.
Samaels Ghost
bummer, i was hoping you'd say the other. Strange being as SOTA usually ends up being smaller....
Butterblume
I asked a similar question awhile ago (alpha ware instead of delta biggrin.gif), and I think more people tended to 2000*2+commlink costs. But then, I have a really bad memory sometimes wink.gif.
Teulisch
the answer requires this question: Does an alphaware or better implanted commlink use fundamentaly different hardware from a startdard model?

If it does not, then its not so pricey, and much easier to upgrade (with surgury). the key parts, like cooling fans, are specialy made, but not the key components they attach to.

If it does, then we have to wonder what is the difference between a standard commlink component, and a higher-grade one? does it require special tools to create? (the cybertechnology skill and tools is probably a must).
ornot
hehe... I don't imagine the headware comlink has cooling fans, unless you have some funky vents in the top of your head, or maybe a draft coming out of one ear! I imagine cooling in this situation is managed through the blood stream. After all homeostasis is a wonderful thing!
Xane
If they've got superconducting matierials....which I believe they've developed by 2070, then heat wouldn't be a problem, since there would be no resistance to produce it. smile.gif

Just my two cents and an Electronics guy smile.gif
ornot
Ahah! Well there you go... I'm a biologist!
Jaid
i dunno... wouldn't superconductors being common kinda change a whole heck of a lot of things?

like, for example... wouldn't they have absolutely no benefit whatsoever to having power generation anywhere near the place it's used?
Crusher Bob
We'll just take the cost of 100 miles of high capacity super conducting wire out of your salary, shall we? All the power transmission infrstructure still has to be paid for and maintained.
Jaid
i would think that the (publicity, at least) advantages of not having a nuclear power plant in a major city would encourage corps to keep their nuclear plants away from large population centers. (if nothing else, people would be worried about a meltdown, as happened in glow city, even if they were properly educated about nuclear power).

so, sure, no one is gonna object to, say, hydroelectric power being nearby, or solar or wind generated power, but nuclear power at least would likely be placed as far as possible if it was not needed to be at least reasonably close.
Glayvin34
I thought the implant was 2000 Nuyen (* grade multipler) for a spot in your head or wherever for a commlink. Then you can put any combination of response, signal, system and firewall, that you buy totally separately. I bet it pops out and you can replace the response or signal chips if you want, as well as download new software wirelessly.
ZenOgre
Well thought out response's. Gave me a few things to think on. So we all agree the 2000 get's multiplied.
Now, I can see not multyplying the software, as that is only bits of Fudgy-science optical data (no more worry's about the numbers of Gigpulse's you've got for storage, less your GM say's so anyway).
Then we gotta consider the Response and Signal. Those are hardware and should be designed as a more essence friendly and thus higher costing for materials and whatnot. jsut my .02 nuyen of course.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Xane @ Jun 18 2006, 08:41 PM)
If they've got superconducting matierials....which I believe they've developed by 2070, then heat wouldn't be a problem, since there would be no resistance to produce it.  smile.gif

Hmm. I'm not so sure about that. Less heat, sure, but none at all?

Just cause the junctions are superconducting doesn't necessarily mean that the switching won't produce heat, does it? I would also assume that there would be losses due to EM fields unintentionally transferring energy across space.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012