Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New ways to get notoreity
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dudukain
Though it's not covered in the books, I'm sure you've had situations where you gave PCs some notoreity anyway.

Like, here's some I would give notoreity for even though they haven't come up:

1. Threating Johnson: 2 notoreity
2. Assaulting Johnson (no damage): 3 notorety
3. Injuring Johnson: 4 notoreity
4. Killing Johnson: 6 notoreity (assuming someone finds out...)
5. Betraying team members: 3 notoreity

Note that I probably wouldn't give you much notoreity if you killed Johnson after he betrayed you or because you had a lot of evidence he was going to.

Share!
ornot
I'd say your notoriety penalties are a little too high. Noteriety is just when word gets around that the individual or group is a problem to work with. I don't really see Johnsons maintaining a little database with notoriety scores for different shadowrunners. "Oh, he tried to stab Mr Johnson, that gives him a Notoriety of 4."

Sure, if they violently killed a Johnson just because they could, they'd earn notoriety, but Johnsons don't rely on their status as Mr Johnson to preotect them, they rely on a number of armed and cybered bodyguards and the fact that they are the ones with the yen and you don't bite the hand that feeds. I envisage the streets as a mean place where people who get geeked for not taking enough precautions are mostly ignored.

I'd issue a point of notoriety if an individual messed up a run, or pissed of a Johnson enough for it to inconvenience the rest of the team or indulged in gratuitous acts of violence. I'd only hand out multiple points for grievious examples of the above.
Dudukain
Lemme correct this:

If any street types find out about it, their notoreity will probably go up. For example:

The setting: Crowded coffee house, the Johnson is relying on the noise level to keep their conversation secret. This is in the center of a sprawl area.

Johnson: So you'll take this contract?
Shadowrunner: Make it 500 nuyen.gif more and you have yourself a deal
Johnson: Sorry, no can do.
Shadowrunner: You wouldn't like me when I'm angry *Hurls Johnson through window)

Anyway, the point is, if someone actually found out about this, of course their notoreity is going to go up.

Anyway, this was meant more as a discussion of the things your players have done that just were so obviously evil/mean spirited that you just HAD to give them notoreity points. Hopefully they are ridiculous, funny, or both!
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Dudukain)
Lemme correct this:

If any street types find out about it, their notoreity will probably go up. For example:

The setting: Crowded coffee house, the Johnson is relying on the noise level to keep their conversation secret. This is in the center of a sprawl area.

Johnson: So you'll take this contract?
Shadowrunner: Make it 500 nuyen.gif more and you have yourself a deal
Johnson: Sorry, no can do.
Shadowrunner: You wouldn't like me when I'm angry *Hurls Johnson through window)

Anyway, the point is, if someone actually found out about this, of course their notoreity is going to go up.

Anyway, this was meant more as a discussion of the things your players have done that just were so obviously evil/mean spirited that you just HAD to give them notoreity points. Hopefully they are ridiculous, funny, or both!

1 or maybe 2 points for that interaction. Notoreity is more for doing things like killing innocents, breach of contract (Johnson says no killing and you kill a guard), yeah, even assaulting the Johnson, but not to the extreme you're making it. And it's not like the corp or johnson is going to try and publicize that you threw him out the window either. It's simply word leaking out that you assaulted a Johnson without provocation.
Xane
The way I see it, Notoriety is a pretty bad thing. I don't give more than one point per incident. Granted my players are crazy and they've each got about 4 notoriety now, but you have to keep in mind in certain situations it acts as a dice pool modifier So 6 points in a single incident is a huge amount *shrugs* Well it is the way I play, at least.
Dudukain
One point per incident?

Okay, suppose the player opens fire on a crowded shopping mall with a panther XXL. And he's a postal worker. How much notoreity does he gain?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Dudukain)
One point per incident?

Okay, suppose the player opens fire on a crowded shopping mall with a panther XXL. And he's a postal worker. How much notoreity does he gain?

He gains street cred for that one rotfl.gif
Voran
Whacking a team of newbie runners. One of my chars got this nyahnyah.gif He was a high karma char that had been semi-retired and had decided to go back to street level stuff to get re-acquainted with life on the streets. Bodyguarding a friend during a meet, which was of course, hit upon by a team of runners seeking to steal the lewt. Being rather new, they were presented as not showing the best tactics, so with the participation of my char, the newbie team got wiped out. He treated the runners like any real threat, even blowing away the ones that were out of the fight and injured.

Course, turns out they were considered a group of 'nice kids' as newbie runner groups go. That was only worth 1 point though. Since on the other hand, it was 'alls fair in love and war' kinda stuff.
Xane
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
QUOTE (Dudukain @ Jun 19 2006, 07:22 PM)
One point per incident?

He gains street cred for that one rotfl.gif

One point of Notoriety....and the military coming in to frag his ass....

But then again, it's unlikely one of my players would HAVE a Panther XXL....I'd have to be Crazy (Or even more so) to allow that with my group.

X-Kalibur
Why is it unlikely or should it be disallowed if they are able to acquire it? Just remember that turnabout is fair play, forces will usually respond in kind to problems. If the runners are using SMGs and pistols, resistance will probably be about the same (unless it is the military or a gang). They want to use the Panther, let them, they will love it right up until the rocket launcher fires at them...
James McMurray
Don't say that too loud. Some folks think that using the same rules for NPCs and PCs is powergaming and bad GMing. wink.gif
Teulisch
ok, there are 3 different levels of consequence.

first, theres men with guns. they may be gangers, they may be cops. dont matter. they shoot back.
second, you have your reputation. what people say about you behind your back.
third, there treachery. people who dont like you and want very bad things to happen to you.

as for the OP- those are WAY too high lets consider why its broken- what if the johnson doublecrosses, and trie to kill you first? do you still hand out noteriety for self defense? second- who knows YOU did it? and lets recall public awareness- which is a BAD thing to get at 3+.

If i was in a game, and got 6 noteriety for one thing? id smack the GM, quit his game, and leave.
Toptomcat
Things Noteriety has been awarded for in my campaign in the recent past:
Public sexual exhibitionism.
Flagrant prisinor abuse. (Think Lynndie England-type photos here.)
Use of mustard gas grenades.
Dudukain
QUOTE (Toptomcat)

Dude...I don't EVEN want to know...
Dewar
QUOTE (Toptomcat)

Wow, that guy has some crazy fetishes
Toptomcat
eek.gif
It wasn't just one character! They were three different ones. I agree, any one character who got Notoreity for all three things would be one sick puppy.
Ankle Biter
The thing I don't like about notoriety is that somehow fragging up runs makes you scaryer. (Bonus to intimidation)

Notoriety for shooting up shoping malls and eating live puppies should be measured on a different scale to notoritety for doing a run against the wrong building or quitting a run because you heard a helicopter arriving and didn't realise it was going somewhere else. (Possible with glitches and a GM with a sence of humour)
James McMurray
Yeah, tying notoriety to intimidation doesn't really work well given how many different things can give you notoriety that aren't scary. "Help! Joe Shadowrunner is threatening me and he's incompetent in fixing cars!"

Edit: although I suppose that might work if his threat was "tell me what I want to know or I'll fix your car."
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)
The thing I don't like about notoriety is that somehow fragging up runs makes you scaryer. (Bonus to intimidation)

Notoriety for shooting up shoping malls and eating live puppies should be measured on a different scale to notoritety for doing a run against the wrong building or quitting a run because you heard a helicopter arriving and didn't realise it was going somewhere else. (Possible with glitches and a GM with a sence of humour)

Maybe they meant you failed it and it turned into a bloodbath. lol. I've seen my fair share of those.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Ankle Biter @ Jun 21 2006, 11:06 AM)

This could be a real bookkeeping nightmare though. Imagine if you had not just notoriety but multiple flavors say:

Notoriously Stupid
Notoriously Brutal
Notroiously Unlucky
Notoriously Dishonest
Notoriously Sadistic
Notoriously Destructive
Notoriously Disloyal
Notoriously Cowardly

That's 8 flavors just off the top of my head. While it's probably more accurate or more realistic it's also about an extra two column inches on the character sheet, and I would argue somewhat superfluous.
James McMurray
A couple things. Brutality, sadism, and destructiveness could be lumped together, as could dishonest, disloyal, and perhaps cowardly. Also, IMO notoriety should be tracked by the GM, not on the character sheet, no matter what version you use. In my experience the fewer numbers a players can tie to the world the easier it is to view that world as real.
Nim
Yeah. I think that were I running a game, I'd keep private reputation notes for each PC.
Samurai Bob gets the job done, but there're always a lot of bodies on the ground in the end and he's hard to work with. Call him Bloodthirsty (4), Reliable(2) and Total Jerk (3), and apply those as either bonuses or penalties whenever appropriate. Make up new descriptors whenever it becomes appropriate smile.gif
stevebugge
I agree that there are some that can be grouped, the point I was trying to get accross is that it is very easy to start sub-dividing stats and ratings, and once you start it it's only a matter of time before your group houserules itself in to a whole new game system of unrelenting complexity.

Summarize: slippery slope argument for houseruling stats is a bad idea.
James McMurray
Houseruling stats is bad and/or slippery slope arguments are bad? smile.gif
Tetsuyama
QUOTE (Dudukain)
QUOTE (Toptomcat @ Jun 20 2006, 08:14 PM)

Dude...I don't EVEN want to know...

The truly talented would get only one point of notoriety by staging a single event which combines all three of these things.
stevebugge
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jun 21 2006, 11:24 AM)
Houseruling stats is bad and/or slippery slope arguments are bad? smile.gif

QUOTE (stevebugge)
I agree that there are some that can be grouped, the point I was trying to get accross is that it is very easy to start sub-dividing stats and ratings, and once you start it it's only a matter of time before your group houserules itself in to a whole new game system of unrelenting complexity.

Summarize: slippery slope argument for houseruling stats is a bad idea.

Summarize: slippery slope argument THAT houseruling stats is a bad idea.

[disclaimer]The slippery slope argument is a nifty rhetorical trick, that can actually be valid when carefully applied. Like anything else when overused it can lead to results detrimental to your point.[/disclaimer]
Ankle Biter
Actually I was thinking that Notoriety as a stat at all makes little sense, considering the wide variety of things one can be notorious for. As however the point of Notoriety is not as a measure in itself, but as a measure on how it affect how people interact with you, a simpler measure is to asign rep based bonuses/penalties to the social skills...

Quit a run? There goes your negotiation skill.
Run screaming from an angry devil rat? Try intimidating that ork now, chummer.

Etc. etc.

The other thing one can try is having 2 omnidirectional stats (Can have negative and positive values)

One for intimidation (Upped by maimery, winning fistfights with dragons, shiving people over a spilled beer, lowered by chickening out of hot runs, cowardice under fire, backing down in conflict situations)

One for the other social skills (Upped by finess in runs, always completing them, being a good laugh, being trustworthy, lowered by being a jackass, being overly greedy, messing up runs, constant lying)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012