Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dead Man's Trigger question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Emrak
Can I spend an Edge to invoke DMT, then spend another edge point to insure automatic success of whatever action I take?

It seems obvious that I can, but I just wanted to make sure.
ShadowDragon
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can ever use edge for automatic sucess on a skill test. I was under the impression that you could only use edge for extra dice or for a reroll.
Cain
You can't *spend* edge for an autosuccess, but you can *burn* the Edge stat to get an instant Critical success. The rules forbid spending Edge more than once per roll (although spending edge to invoke the DMT may not be the same as spending Edge on the subsequent roll) , but there's nothing preventing you from burning Edge as many times as you wish.
Shrike30
I don't see anything indicating you couldn't. Cain's right about the burn, though... that point of Edge is going away, not just spent temporarily.
Mitchel456
Yeah, the rules actually specifically state that you CAN use edge as normal after invoking the DMT. If you replace the second "spend" in the first post with "burn", and stick a "critical" before success, you're all good =)
ornot
and why would you want to save edge after invoking DMT? You're (about to be) dead anyway!
Jaid
because you could burn edge to not die =P
Shrike30
My understanding of DMT is that you use it when your condition monitor fills up... that's not dead, just dying. And can't you invoke DMT right before going unconcious, too?

Emrak
QUOTE (Shrike30)
My understanding of DMT is that you use it when your condition monitor fills up... that's not dead, just dying. And can't you invoke DMT right before going unconcious, too?

Oh hellz yeah
bigdrewp
Excuse my ignorance but isn't the point of a deadman trigger that when you die, or get knocked out it automatically is released. If you had to think about it, or choose to use it, it wouldn't be effective at all for it's designed purpose.
ShadowDragon8685
Deadman's Trigger is not the same as a deadman switch.

A deadman switch operates when you fall dead. Like a cortex bomb linked to a biomonitor. Deadman's Trigger is an entirely different rule, allowing a slain (or pushed into overflow) character to make one last action before they (likely) snuff it. Kind of how when you shoot someone, they pull their trigger reflexively, and sometimes do something useful.
bigdrewp
Thanks and as I said excuse my ignorance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012