Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burning Bright
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
i really liked Burning Bright. Are there any follow-ups on what happened to the characters of that book?
PiXeL01
Not that I know of, except for Bug City and I think they were mentioned in Loose Alliances or was that only the Mantis Spirits.

Honestly those were my favorate characters in the novels I have read and I would love to read more about them. Last I asked this question people said that they probably wouldnt appear anymore after the departure of Tom Dowd from the Shadowrun realm
SL James
Loose Alliances only mentions the Desolation Angels. The others appear in Bug City, but aside from that there's nothing. Not even in Target: UCAS.
Glorian
Daniel Truman moved Truman Technologies to Los Angeles, according to California Free State, page 92.

Kyle Teller, Anne Ravenheart, and Seeks-The-Moon were in Bug City. They and the other trapped Knight Errant officers ran the Wrigley Dome haven. Target:UCAS doesn't say what happened to them.

The Desolation Angels were mentioned in Loose Alliances, pages 133-134 and 164.

By the way, the Commonwealth Edison Fisk power station at Cermak and Racine is right across the street from where FASA used to be.
SL James
No shit.
Straight Razor
wow intersting.
Wrigley Dome haven?? what's the storie around that.
Kyrn
A KE Firewatch team fortified the Wrigley Dome stadium as a haven against the bugs and warlords and ghouls and PCs running rampant throughout Chicago. At last count they held about four or five hundred people inside. To give you an idea of how scary Chicago truly was, this was by far the largest haven, and possibly the largest concentration of regular people, in the whole city.
Hocus Pocus
probably my favorite shadowrun novel.

I also wonder about 2spirits. Before the attatck the musem where he and other suvivors were house had the cleanest background count. After the invasion the museum was found empty.

I think they were bugs all along. He come on trids saying somethng bad was coming down shortly before the the bugs exploded. He knew cause he was one of them!! dah dah dah!!!

oh and the nastygruls *wink,wink* mantis spirits what happen the them?
SL James
They are one of the groups of "criminals" in DIY Crime, in Loose Alliances. What a horribly... It has Assets, Inc. in it for Christ's sake.

Anyway, Glorian did mention it in the above post.
Wireknight
The Desolation Angels, the coven of Mantids from Burning Bright, ended up escaping the Chicago DMZ and assisting Anne Penchyk in assassinating the Universal Brotherhood drone impersonating General Yeats. They formed the nucleus of the Empowerment Coalition.

Or, for brevity's sake, the Empowerment Coalition is a secret Mantid cabal. Unknown whether they allied with Penchyk or simply possessed her. Just because every player has to be somehow superpowered or alien, in SR, I'd assume the latter.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Wireknight)
They formed the nucleus of the Empowerment Coalition.

Or, for brevity's sake, the Empowerment Coalition is a secret Mantid cabal. Unknown whether they allied with Penchyk or simply possessed her. Just because every player has to be somehow superpowered or alien, in SR, I'd assume the latter.

I need a WTF? smiley.
BrianL03
I'm running Bug City right now, and my friends are going to be incorporated as NPCs in the game. Needless to say, all my uber-fem female friends are going to make up the Nasty Gurls gang XD
Wireknight
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (Wireknight @ Jul 1 2006, 11:29 AM)
They formed the nucleus of the Empowerment Coalition.

Or, for brevity's sake, the Empowerment Coalition is a secret Mantid cabal.  Unknown whether they allied with Penchyk or simply possessed her.  Just because every player has to be somehow superpowered or alien, in SR, I'd assume the latter.

I need a WTF? smiley.

Well, I'm sure their office assistants, and 99.95% of the members, are neither mantids nor aware of the mantids, but the group was started by Anne Penchyk and the Desolation Angels. I doubt they've been reformed and decided to stop being bugs.
Ancient History
When you make an assumption...

Whoever said the Desolation Angels were part of the Empowerment Coalition just because Anne Penchyk is?
PBTHHHHT
Another take of AH's question...
If all of A was in B and A is also in C, is C = B? silly.gif
Wireknight
QUOTE (Ancient History)
When you make an assumption...

Whoever said the Desolation Angels were part of the Empowerment Coalition just because Anne Penchyk is?

Yeah, crazy me, when they mentioned that some of the Empowerment Coalition's agents were formerly girl-gangers from the Desolation Angels, and the Desolation Angels formed an alliance with Anne Penchyk, who in turn does the Empowerment Coalition, I guess I just made certain assumptions.

Won't happen again, honest!
Ancient History
Agents, key word is agents.
mfb
that's a hell of a lot of coincidences if the EC isn't driven by mantids.
Ancient History
What coincidences? We know Penchyk has ties to the Desolation Angels, and we know she heads the EC. It would not be a great stretch of the logic to conclude she might turn to the DA to accomplish something she couldn't be involved in directly...and vice versa.

The leaps in logic here are:
a) Anne Penchyk has become possessed by a mantid spirit
b) The mantid spirits have joined/are controlling the EC
mfb
Penchyk's brother and running mate were both turned into bugs. she's a strong-willed, capable female in a position of power, and she's known to work with mantids. if the mantids haven't at least approached her, then they're not as smart as they're given credit for. if they haven't succeeded, they're not as clever as they're given credit for.

an addendum: who says Penchyk even survived Casualties of War? the possibility that she'd die in Bug City is prepared for, right there in the run--it says in Picking up the Pieces that if Penchyk dies, a double takes her place on the campaign trail.

addendum to addendum: i didn't think it was spelled out, but it is. Shadows of the Underworld page 80 explicitly calls the EC "a group of mantis spirits".
SL James
Well, there's also the matter of the book Shadows of the Underworld. For the life of me I can't imagine how Wirekight got the idea from this passage:
QUOTE (SotU @ 80)
When the runners try to contact the fixer who hired them, they discover the real killers—a group of mantis spirits called the Empowerment Coalition (emphasis mine). The coalition killed Yeats because he was possessed by a wasp spirit; his own vice-presidential candidate, Anne Penchyk (who helped "rescue" mantids from Chicago in Casualties of War, a Super Tuesday adventure), did the coalition's dirty work.

The "dirty work" in this case, was nearly ripping his head off.

QUOTE (p.82)
The Empowerment Coalition, a group of powerful mantis spirits, is dedicated to stopping the Secret Hive.

The mantids contacted General Yeats privately and informed him they they knew his secret... To his surprise and dismay, the "blackmailer" turned out to be Anne Penchyk, his own running mate and an agent of the Empowerment Coalition. As soon as the general walked into the hotel bedroom, Penchyk summoned a true-form mantis spirit to kill the wasp spirit possessing the general while she killed the body that used to be Franklin Yeats.

QUOTE (p.92)
The Empowerment Coalition
The Empowerment Coalition is the same cabal of mantis spirits that appeared in the Super Tuesday adventure Casualties of War... The most they can uncoverer is a fragmentary evidence suggesting a vague connection between the coalition and an all-female Chicago street gang known as the Desolation Angels.

Because we all know those vague connections never turn into anything more... Anyway, the article goes on from there describing the history of the coalition's action in and out of Chicago.

the coalition managed to smuggle mantis spirits out of the city and introduce them to powerful, independent-minded women in government and certain corporations. By possessing these women or persuading them to ally with the coalition, the mantids have made themselves players on the UCAS scene.

Penchyk's bio suggests she did work in effect similar to Emily's List (the RL group.) She's not given stats as a magician or spirit, but she doesn't really need to be. She's in so deep she may as well be a spirit. However, if she isn't now, then imminent death as an old ork will make the decision much easier to become one.
mfb
though it's worth noting that Penchyk wasn't a mantis at the time of SotU. though she was getting more deeply involved with them.

i am the ruiner.
SL James
Indeed. But I am the pinch hitter.

Anyway, she folded the EC into the Timmon Memorial Fund almost immediately, which as one poster suggested, would give it much more access to money, personnel, connections and boost its reputation.

QUOTE (Loose Alliances @ 51)
The EC isn’t all upper crust—they have a few notable female street gangs at their beck and call, and those razorgirls have backed up [Mother Earth] more than a few times. I personally don’t get why the suits and gillettes work together, though.
hahahahahaha

So, the EC is run by mantid spirits and edit: aided by some very very close allies edit: acting as the human face of the EC. The Angels are only comprised of spirits (LA Game Information).
Ancient History
I admit I forgot to check the sub-text in SotU. Mea culpa. Only human and all that. On the other hand, it is nice that there are those of you willing to keep me honest.
SL James
No biggie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012