Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow vs. Armor's glow
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Member #5177
No one in my experience liked using the Armor spell since 3rd edition described it as surrounding the target in glowing lights. Essentially, lighting them up like a prime target.

Can the spell Shadow be used to offset this glow? Like if the TN modifier for shadow is at least the Force of the armor, it would offset the glow? Or just add Shadow's TN modifier for an opponent to even notice the likely mage target before invoking geek the mage mode?

I have seen people talk about designing an armor spell that simply does not glow. If this is possible, why is it not the standard armor spell? Any stats on a non glowing Armor spell - like Drain?
Crusher Bob
Using the spell design rules the glow is just a 'free' cosmetic effect. If you designed armor from the ground up, it wouldn't glow. In fact, I don't really see why the armor spell glows anyway, since all the other combat related spell buffs have no visible effect.
Member #5177
I wondered if there was something intrinsic to the physical barrier type spells that make them glow in 3rd edition. The Barrier spell has the same glowing description.
Grinder
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Using the spell design rules the glow is just a 'free' cosmetic effect. If you designed armor from the ground up, it wouldn't glow. In fact, I don't really see why the armor spell glows anyway, since all the other combat related spell buffs have no visible effect.

Nothing comes wihtout a drawback wink.gif

Serioulsy, my players never had a problem with it. The glow prevents that the mage casts it at every ocassion, which is fine imo.
Ryu
"Glowing" caused by the armor spell does not carry additional qualifiers.

A shadow-spell will blur the details for any observer, so indeed can be used to counter that effect (someone is there - about human size - energy field around him)

Take care though! In bright daylight an area of darkness will still blur details, but alert security better than a blinking sreaming morphing AR-Tag. Try invisibility.
KarmaInferno
This is why I always preferred Deflection, or whatever the name was. Made it seem like the shot just missed, rather than having it hit a barrier.

No visible effects, just about. Subtle.

Did it make the jump to SR4?

The glow makes casting an Armor spell below about force 4 or 6 counterproductive, because it'll make everybody focus fire on you. I never liked it, myself.
Ryu
Who told you to cast it on yourself? Force 1 on the not-that-obviously-augmented combat monster is much better...

"I´m with the tank"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012